Sign in with
Your question

Turning computer on with just the MOBO and PSU?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 19, 2010 8:15:24 PM

I decided to turn the MOBO on just to see if everything was connected properly and the only thing that turned on was the green light on the mobo telling me that there was no RAM installed. No chassis fan was spinning or anything. Is that what it was supposed to do? Or should the chassis fans been spinning too?

Just a side-note... It was JUST the MOBO in the case. Nothing else except for the fans and the PSU.
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 8:59:57 PM

I would suggest plugging everything in and then powering up.

If it fires up, runs fine and fans spin you have no issues.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 9:02:13 PM

Was the chip in the Mobo??
nothing will happen without the chip.
Moto
m
l
Related resources
November 19, 2010 9:07:30 PM

No, no chip. The only thing in the case was the PSU and the mobo. I just turned it on to check to see if the fans were connected properly, but nothing... no fans spinng, nothing. Just the memOK! light coming on on the mobo to indicate that no ram was installed.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 9:40:22 PM

You've almost got it. The basic power test requires the following to be installed:

1. PSU - for obvious reasons =)
2. CPU/HSF - W/o the CPU, the BIOS has nothing to work with. The heatsink and fan is needed because the CPU will overheat instantly w/o it it.

If you want to check if your computer will boot, the basics are:
1 & 2 from above
3. RAM - At least one RAM module is needed because w/o RAM, the CPU can't process anything.
4. VGA/GPU - for obvious reasons, you need a display adaptor to connect the monitor to.

Notice that there is no hard drive in the list. You can POST w/o a hard drive, but at the end of POST you will see a message on the screen indicating no OS or no boot device detected.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 9:43:44 PM

You also do not need a keyboard and mouse.

The bare minimum you need to turn on the computer is the motherboard,CPU & HSF, and the PSU. It still will not POST successfully, but it will turn on.
m
l
November 19, 2010 9:46:53 PM

SO it's normal for no lights + fan to be on without the CPU? I am sure it's all in the right places.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 108 V Motherboard
November 19, 2010 9:51:20 PM

Yes. Without the CPU installed, locked into its socket, with the heatsink and fan over it, I wouldn't even expect to see any activity come from the motherboard.
m
l
November 19, 2010 9:59:00 PM

Thank you.
m
l
November 19, 2010 11:57:31 PM

With just the mobo and PS it's a good sign if that's all it does is beep at you. That's suppose to happen. If nothing beeped and power light wasn't lit that would be a sign the motherboard is bad.

Fans should spin but it is recommended that you don't plug the fans into the motherboard. You should instead plug the fans into the molex (4pin) power connector.

GoldenI said:
I decided to turn the MOBO on just to see if everything was connected properly and the only thing that turned on was the green light on the mobo telling me that there was no RAM installed. No chassis fan was spinning or anything. Is that what it was supposed to do? Or should the chassis fans been spinning too?

Just a side-note... It was JUST the MOBO in the case. Nothing else except for the fans and the PSU.

m
l
November 19, 2010 11:58:39 PM

Yep basically. Motherboard will just beep at you.

T_T said:
Yes. Without the CPU installed, locked into its socket, with the heatsink and fan over it, I wouldn't even expect to see any activity come from the motherboard.

m
l
November 20, 2010 12:04:33 AM

Well, nothing happened, not even a beep. From what I have gathered it would not make sense to beep without a CPU, as others have put it... it is the brain of the system. If that doesn't work then nothing works, not even the power. Sure, the "memOK!" light was on indicating it was receiving power, but if there is nothing to process that power so it is routed to the right areas then it will not function. Everything was plugged in properly (as far as I know) and the board was placed correctly. I just bought it yesterday.

I would just like to add that not even the PSU's fan was spinning or showing that it was on, however the little green light on the motherboard was on showing that there was a source of electricity.
m
l
!