Sign in with
Your question

Cooler master silent pro or corsair hx

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2010 2:38:02 PM

Im looking to buy a new power supply at least 700w

which one should i go for cooler master silent pro or corsair hx?

Cooler master silent pro is about £40 cheaper than corsair hx 750w, is it worth that £40 extra for corsair? im currently using corsair vx550w which is very noise when its on full power, since hx is a higher quality model, and look decent to me. I'm looking to invest something quieter and more power becuase of recent upgrade on ati 5850 :bounce: 
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 2:51:35 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Corsair is the best for the money, cooler master don't make very good PSUs.

Now, Why do u need a 700W PSU? Here are the systems requirements for the 5850.

ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
Minimum 1GB of system memory
Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
DVD playback requires DVD drive
Blu-ray™ playback requires Blu-ray drive
For an ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 5850 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (included) are required

The recommended PSU is for the entire system.
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 2:51:46 PM

The Corsair HX 750 is definitely much better than the cooler master. Actually, the entire Corsair series is better than their cooler master counterparts.
The reason for the HX 750 to be expensive is that it is modular. You could get the similarly specced Corsair 750TX at the same price.
Related resources
May 28, 2010 9:28:07 PM

mine one is asus one, require one 6+2 pin and 6 - pin pci e power connectors, and apparently i need 600w power supply, the corsair 750w model seem quieter than the 650w model, my vx 550 noise is killing me
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 10:30:14 PM

The Cooler Master silent pro M 700W is a very good PSU. Enhance Electronics has done a great job. It is great to see that CM is committed to quality in this "silent pro M" series.
Anyway, The Corsair HX750 is an amaizing PSU.
You can run two high-end graphic cards from the 4 modular PCI-E cables with one six/eight-pin connector on each one of them.
All capacitors used are Japanese. The efficenciency of this PSU is extremely high and the noise and ripple levels are very low.The voltage regulation is excellent . Moreover, It runs quiet.
You can even reach 900W at below 50ºC. Impressive...

I would go for it without any doubt. CWT has made an outstanding product.
a b ) Power supply
May 28, 2010 11:09:22 PM

+1 for the corsair HX

I just purchased the 1000w model for my new build. Having a modular psu will do wonders for your cable management, not to mention increase airflow.
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2010 2:01:17 AM

if yout corsair 550 watt is noisy, you should rma it if its still under warranty.

+1 corsair psu. you could easily run your system on a corsair 650w. however, all corsair psus are outstanding quality.
!