Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My Dream PC Build, advice needed.

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2010 6:11:52 PM

Ok I can finally afford to build me the computer I've always wanted! I dont feel like wasting money, but I do finally want top of the line. I've always settled for last years best when building a pc and stayed below 1k. Finally it's time to treat myself.

Anyways I have a rough idea of what I want but am looking for your blessings and advice seeing as you lot know way more than I do :) 

Also I would like to venture into liquid cooling... and don’t know squat about it, I would love a all in one combo unit(if possible) that could cool my cpu, 2-3 vid cards, mobo and memory if need be. Also I like Full ATX cases and would like some suggestions if you have any to offer.

So here are the internals I'm thinking of getting

Intel Core i7 930 (OC the puppy to hell and back while i wait for core i7 970 to come out)
EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED 3-Way SLI x58
OCZ Gold 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Best SSD config for OS install under $300, suggestions?
3x 1.5tb hitachi 7200rpm HDD's
Antec TPQ-1200 1200W 80+ silver cert
2x Evga Geforce 480's (when released)

What do you guys think of that setup? Do you have any suggestions? Also how would I go about liquid cooling it? What parts do I want for this set up? I would like a all in one liquid cooled combo kit, but I’m not against a DIY type thing where I piece together the best components to make a kit of sorts as long as it's not overly complex... I’d also like the water cooling to be able to be internal to the case or at worst a bolt on top type thing if at all possible. As said I intend to make it an over clocker rig and I live in Arizona where temperatures get pretty hot out here. So any suggestions are appreciated… I’d also like to keep the liquid cooling solution under 400$ if at all possible.

Also I’m not big into wasting money so if the job can get done cheaper without much sacrifice of performance please do suggest a way I can do it.

Thanks for all your help ahead of time I truly appreciate it. :) 

Best solution

March 19, 2010 6:19:02 PM

You should just give us a budget.

Here is my "top-of-the-line" recommendation for right now:

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580
RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $210 after rebate
GPU: HD 5970 $700
SSD: Corsair Nova 128 GB $319
HDD: 4x Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $360
PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $170 after rebate
Case: HAF 922 $90 after rebate
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24
HSF: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B $85 (with 2 fans)

Total: $2,538.

And the explanations:

CPU: Anything above the i7-930 is a waste of money. Period. Unless you're trying to find the cure for cancer by shifting through all data available to all of creation, in which case having the i7-980X is understandable.

Mobo: EVGA doesn't say high quality to me. It doesn't even have USB 3/SATA III ports. Stick with this Asus.

RAM: OCZ has problems with making compatible RAM. It's also not as good as the above sticks. In addition, 12 GB is massive overkill for almost everything. If you're only gaming, you will at most need 4 GB. However, the triple channel requirement dictates you get 6 GB.

HDD: Hitachi makes slow drives. It's a fact that's due to their stubborness in using smaller platters in their drives. Or it could be that they lack the ability to figure it out. Doesn't realy matter... And do you really need that much storage? If so, consider getting the WD Caviar Green (I think) 2 TB. It's got the 500 GB platters like the faster Seagate 7200.12 1 TB and Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB.

PSU: 1200W is super overkill. You can run 5 HD 5970s off of that (10 signle GPUs). 850W is enough for CF/SLI anything that's current. Also, an 80+ Gold PSU will drastically lower the heat in the system and save you money on the power.

GPU: Doubt you'll need two when they come out, so I would grab one to start with. And you'll likely have a hard time getting just that one...

Case: Not technically a full tower, but it's actually bigger than many full towers. The HAF 922 is easily the best case out there.

HSF: I'm not a fan of water cooling. I think the massive Megahalems will do just fine.
March 19, 2010 6:41:23 PM

First of all Thanks! Great response. I'd say my max is 3kish.

cpu: agreed :) 

mobo: I'll have to look at the asus although I've kinda fallen in love with evga customer service 24/7 people that you can talk to and all. They've replaced 1 vid and 1 mobo for me free of charge before after an iffy psu messed em up. I've heard iffy things on asus Customer service any comment on that?

Ram: ah I didnt know that, I'll definitley look into the ones you linked me :) 

HDD's: yea I use allot of storage... hehe I've filled up 2tb on my current system... thanks for the info!

PSU: didnt know that! So how much upgradability will an 850w offer? Would i be able to plug in a third GPU or an extra 6gb of ram in future without any issue?

GPU: Well I plan on getting 3 of the 3d ready 1920x1080 monitors from acer and having a surround gaming platform, for that I'm thinking 2GPU's would be adventagous no? Also why did you choose ati instead of nvidia? Do you think that the 480's will be ok? Cause I was really looking forward to 3d surround gaming :)  (im not including monitor costs into build costs of pc)

Case: Nice case!

HSF: Isnt stainless steel inferior to copper? Also how easy will it be to bolt on the 120mms on the one you showed me?

SSD: Do you know if the one you showed me supports TRIM? How important is TRIM?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2010 6:49:19 PM

Mobo: I don't know about Asus customer service, I've never had to call them. That's a sign itself. However, I do know the EVGA boards have fewer features than the high end Gigabtye and Asus boards, and yet they cost more.

PSU: You probably won't be able to add a third GPU, but 12 GB of RAM is no problem. Not that you'll need either.

GPU: Because the Fermis aren't out yet. I wouldn't bank on 3D being any good for the next 4-5 years. Remember, for 3D to be of any use, you're going to need to have content made for it. And so far, there aren't many movies being planned to release to DVD as 3D, and games will be several years behind that. I would get the best GPU you can now (single only) and then once the content is developed, upgrade to whatever you need to support it.

As for buying multiple GPUs, I don't think you realize how massive the 5970 is and the 480 will (might) be. The 5970 is such massive overkill for everything that's out right now that ATI actually BACK DOWN the cores. Read that again. For the first time in the history of gaming, a company has actually made a GPU WEAKER than it technically could be. One 5970 is going to be good enough for 4-5 years without an upgrade that by the time you should be thinking of upgrading it, newer tech will have made adding a second one a bad idea.

HSF: No idea. However, I do know that the Megahalems is easily the best air cooled heatsink out there. As for how easy it will be, I don't know that either. I'm sure it will be very simple.

SSD: Yes, it does support TRIM. And it's critically important. Don't buy a SSD without TRIM support.
m
l
March 19, 2010 6:51:51 PM

You don't need to spend $400 on a motherboard. Spending that much doesn't even really get you anything useful.

As for that PSU, yes Corsair is good. However, in 950W, only have 80 Plus Bronze Certification is not. Spend the extra to get a 80 Plus Silver or Gold at least.
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:05:59 PM

Hrmm btw all games are 3d capable... nvidia makes 3d work on pretty much every game out there whether it's developed for it or not. Now games that are developed for it will be nicer BF:BC2 for instance. I've checked it out at a store and the 3d really rocks.

As for all your answers you've been a great help. In pretty much every regard. However I'm still really impressed with the 3d gaming after having experianced it... So i'm thinking I should wait and see until fermi is released :) 

A few weeks wont kill me.

Also in regards to PSU do you think maybee a 1000w would be an ok idea in order to give me a bit of headspace to work with incase i ever want 3 way sli? Also if i go that route do you suggest OCZ's 1000w offerings?
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:08:56 PM

Assuming it's actually released then. I would still wait to see what happens anyway. Just don't be surprised if the cards suck when the real benchmarks come out...
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:12:09 PM

Yea I guess I'll wait till the 26th and if i hear no news than I'll just go with an ATI build...

I've had driver issues with ATI in the past have they improved any in that regard since bout 5 years ago?
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:18:09 PM

It's an entirely different company since AMD bought ATI about 3 or 4 years ago. The last two generations, nVidia has just been struggling to compete. Just look at the monthly "Best Gaming Cards for the Money" articles. It's basically a catalog of ATI cards.
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:21:32 PM

Cool well you've pretty much answered most lingering questions I've had :)  And I feel pretty comfertable on what i'll get now... Only question is video cards which is a wait and see type deal.

I'll go ahead and give you best answer for this thread :) 

If anyone else has any ideas do let me know!
m
l
March 19, 2010 7:26:30 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You don't need to spend $400 on a motherboard. Spending that much doesn't even really get you anything useful.

As for that PSU, yes Corsair is good. However, in 950W, only have 80 Plus Bronze Certification is not. Spend the extra to get a 80 Plus Silver or Gold at least.

Running 2 5970s all at 16X is usefull in my book....
m
l
March 19, 2010 8:47:21 PM

Latency is more important than speed. Right now, CL 6 is as low as you can get with DDR3. You're pretty much wasting money if you get anything above 1600 mhz sticks.

@bob: Except that you can do that on ANY X58 board. The only thing that's special about that $400 board is that it has seven PCIe 2.0 slots. No one is going to use that many.
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:00:08 PM

It has two NF200, so it can run 4 carda t 16x 16x 16x 16x.

Normal X58= 4 cards at 8x 8x 8 x 8x.
m
l
March 19, 2010 9:53:13 PM

You're just wrong bob. The benefit of the X58 chipset for gaming is that the first two slot ALWAYS run at 16x/16x (or 16x/16x/16x/16x for dual GPU cards).

Regardless, it's not worth paying another $100 for AND losing USB 3/SATA III. It would only be 4%, and only on a worthless upgrade to a third 5970.
m
l
March 19, 2010 10:03:03 PM

Dude, the 5970 Cf is a quadfire seup, same way the 4870 X2 was a Quadfire setup.

And check the specs on the board, you could run 4 5870s or 2 5970s in Quadfire, and all would run a 16X.

Rember, 2 NF200?
m
l
March 19, 2010 10:18:46 PM

CPU/Mobo: i7-930 and Asus P6X58D Premium $580
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 w/ Ascent liquid cooling Model 998692 $269
GFX Cards: Whatever tickles your fancy
SSD: Whatever budget allows
HDD: 1x Seagate 7200.12 1 TB $160 (if ya need more, get an NAS)
Case / PSU: Antec 1200 w/ CP-850 $244 (Full Tower w/ PSU)
HSF: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B w/ two PWM Fans IC Diamond TIM and PWM Y-cable splitter ($95ish)
m
l
March 20, 2010 6:10:53 AM

:)  well thanks for the replys cant wait to see what the fermi cards will be like next week.
m
l
!