USB connectors into 1394

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Cases
  • USB
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
November 19, 2010 11:53:57 PM

Just started my first build, and I accidentally plugged the USB connectors for the case into the 1394 on the mobo. When I started it up, there was a "spark/fzzz" just above the connector with me being unable to turn of the case in time. I'm pretty sure the mobo is fried, which was easily pointed out by tech support at ASUS. It is completely fried though, right? And what about the case USB ports, are they fried too?

Thanks all.

More about : usb connectors 1394

November 20, 2010 12:29:25 AM

I do believe that it says in the manual to strictly refrain from doing this.
m
l
November 20, 2010 12:36:17 AM

I understand that. The mistake was made due to the 1394 and USB immediately adjacent to each other.
m
l
November 22, 2010 6:30:15 PM

Bump. Mobo was RMA'd (M4A88T-V EVO/USB3). Is there any other risk other components may be damaged? Just need to know if I need to request more RMA numbers for remaining items. And any ideas on the case USB ports? Thanks.
m
l
November 22, 2010 9:00:10 PM

There is a huge chance that the entire motherboard was fried as any open circuits exposed to shock or foreign electrical charge renders them as obsolete.
m
l
November 24, 2010 12:20:21 PM

Well after it happend, the power LED on the board was still on and all the fans were still spinning. I'm pretty confident it was just the motherboard but am still concerned about the case USB. I guess I was hoping there was someone on here that had a similar experience or knows of one to determine if the rest of the parts are OK.
m
l
!