ASUS P8P67-M + intel i5 2500k for OC 101

Aeonix_spellbinder

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello,
I have made a rig with ASUS P8P67-M paired with intel i5-2500k. I have Cooler Master Hyper 212 and Cooler Master PSU as well. Is that rig a good one for OC? I've been using it for gaming, and I wanna boost its performance to meet future demands. I'm a newbie on overclocking so I'd like some layman-level instructions on how to do it. I know the risks already, I'd really appreciate some pro replies to boost my confidence on the craft. I'm finding it hard to get answers for my mobo (the closest one is P8P67 deluxe, but I can't be sure if that'll work just as fine for my model)

Solution
The 2500K is a very forgiving CPU to overclock, you can manipulate virtually any BIOS settings and not harm it, but you need to know as one new to overclocking what the CPUs voltage limitations are.

Intel tested to 1.520v as it's maximum testing, I suggest you never go beyond 1.50v, so set that in your head as your maximum boundary limitation, for CPU longevity staying below 1.40v is the suggested range and many run their 2500Ks at 4500mhz in the 1.325v range.

So as long as the guide does not exceed the voltages I just shared with you, you'll be OK to use it.

My Bad for not giving you that information to begin with. Ryan

Edit: Any combination of settings you try that do not work and fails to boot, do not freak out about it you have...

You need to try those settings first and see if it works for your motherboard model, then you'll have a better idea of what to ask help regarding.

Aeonix_spellbinder

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

I just want reliable opinion if trying settings that isn't made for the exact model is safe to do. As mentioned earlier, I'm new to OC, although I am aware of risks, I aim to lessen the chances of screwing up. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

The 2500K is a very forgiving CPU to overclock, you can manipulate virtually any BIOS settings and not harm it, but you need to know as one new to overclocking what the CPUs voltage limitations are.

Intel tested to 1.520v as it's maximum testing, I suggest you never go beyond 1.50v, so set that in your head as your maximum boundary limitation, for CPU longevity staying below 1.40v is the suggested range and many run their 2500Ks at 4500mhz in the 1.325v range.

So as long as the guide does not exceed the voltages I just shared with you, you'll be OK to use it.

My Bad for not giving you that information to begin with. Ryan

Edit: Any combination of settings you try that do not work and fails to boot, do not freak out about it you have not damaged anything, you simply clear the CMOS settings and reset to defaults in the BIOS and you're back in business, how to clear the CMOS settings is covered in your motherboard manual.

Solution