Leaf10

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi,

I am new in this forum, and although I looked for a previous post similar, I didn't find. I hope someone might have an idea:

I was trying earlier to replace one of my 1TB hard drives with a 2TB hard drive.
After the replacement, when I started my computer, I got an error:
"CPU Fan Error"
"Press F1 to resume"

I pressed F1 and the computer logged in.
I could see the new 2TB hard drive, but another HD, of 1TB disappeared.

After rechecking that the reason for the error was not any disconnected cable, I switched the new 2TB back to the previous 1TB, and all was well again. I could see all my HD as always.

My MB is ASUS P5QL-E
CPU: E8400 3Ghz

Hard drives (all WD):
IDE
1 x 400 GB

SATA
2 x 500 GB
2 X 1 TB (one of which I wanted to replace with the 2TB

Power supply is 500

Can anyone try help me with figuring which component is affected and whether I can "enhance" it?
NOTE:
I can replace cables or hard drives, but basically, I am clueless when it comes to "real" hardware, or BIOS, etc.
So, if anyone thinks I should look into something, please tell me how to.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks

Leaf10

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I formatted the new one, via a box connected with eSata.
The system had no problem with it, and the format was clean of errors.
Also, when I tried to connect it directly to the MB, (as I still wish to do), it was recognized w/o problems.
It was another which got disconnected.
Bear in mind that when I switched back to the original way (removed the 2TB), it's all working fine.

ok, I'va recently had similar problems with my gf's system, but her hd was the only one hooked into the pc, randomly wouldnt see the hd, I've gone through same fault finding route swapping hdds etc but in the end I replaced the cmos battery and it seems to have sorted it, long shot but it might be your problem too if all else is checking out fine

It could be worth a try,

Im surprised no-one else has jumped in with advice by now tho lol :)

Another idea could be to start off removing all your drives except the operating system one and then installing them one by one.
It may be that your psu isnt putting enough power out as well to support all the drives

Leaf10

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Something is not strong enough, that's for sure.
But remember:
This works fine with the current set of HDs.

The problem only occurs if I try to replace one of the 1TB with a 2TB.
So, I don't think getting out the rest of the HD's for such test will help much.

Indeed I was hoping someone will come with some additional idea.

A friend said something about the power supply, that its too weak (500).
But if it's so, why is the error message about the CPU fan?

Any thoughts?
Thanks again.

Only reason I said to take all drives out is to sort of fault find,

I am thinking its your psu (Power supply Unit) though as I mentioned in last post, not sure why it would come up as a cpu error, could be the drives are sucking so much power theres not enough for the other requirements?

Leaf10

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Maybe.
I can't tell.
I don't have a way to get a "total" of the power in use.
Maybe if I could, I would learn that its too close to 500, or even with the 2TB exceeds it.

Is there some software tool to make this measure?