Sign in with
Your question

System recover disk problems

Last response: in Components
May 28, 2010 7:05:03 PM

I tried to use the system recovery disk but receive this message

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the firs time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this is the firs time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer. Run CHKDSK / F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.
Technical information: Technical information:
*** Stop: (0xF78E2640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

There was a 3 second power interruption 2 weeks ago, but when I turned the computer back on it powered up and worked just fine.
During the last week the computer has become slow and impossible to use and I decided to use the recovery disk and received the message above.

I ran chkdsk to "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

I did a system restore to before the power surge.
I disconnected all external hardware, ran a disk cleanup,malware and virus check, everything checked out ok.

The recovery disk is good as I have used it in the past and kept it in a save place so it would not become damaged.

The computer is a emachines T3302 windows xp home edition service pack
3 build (build 2600 ) 2.00 gig amd athlon 64.

Any help would be appreciated
May 28, 2010 8:37:02 PM

Well it's an eMachine, with their track record, you could have a spiked the psu, motherboard or hdd.
m
l
May 28, 2010 8:37:08 PM

You may have a component, such as the power supply, overheating. Check for dust on the cpu and ps fans, and the cpu heatsink to be sure it's tight and hasn't worked loose. And never touch components to clean; use a special canned air solvent designed for this purpose. The solvent evaporates quickly leaving no residue. As a last resort, format the hardrive. If the hardrive won't complete the format process, then it may have bad sectors and need replacing.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2010 4:01:45 PM

das_stig said:
Well it's an eMachine, with their track record, you could have a spiked the psu, motherboard or hdd.

I agree eMachines has a poor track record, but being on a limited budget it was all I could afford.

Since I did have a power interuption, I am thinking along the lines of a glitch in the hard drive since it did not shut down properly, and so you are probably correct about the hard drive.

I am hoping someone else has had the problem and found the fix.

m
l
May 29, 2010 4:18:00 PM

o1die said:
You may have a component, such as the power supply, overheating. Check for dust on the cpu and ps fans, and the cpu heatsink to be sure it's tight and hasn't worked loose. And never touch components to clean; use a special canned air solvent designed for this purpose. The solvent evaporates quickly leaving no residue. As a last resort, format the hardrive. If the hardrive won't complete the format process, then it may have bad sectors and need replacing.

I did all the above before I posted and found very little dust.
Heat does not appear to have any effect as it starts up with the problem.

Hard drive tests showed no bad sectors, and also showed the health of the HD to be good.

The idea of formating is exactly what I want to do but there seems to be a glitch in the hard drive, probably from the power surge, that will not allow the recovery disk to do its job.

I am sure I am not the only who has had this problem, so If post enough times on different boards maybe someone will have the solution.

If you have other ideas please post.

m
l
May 29, 2010 11:53:49 PM

Try maxblast 5.0, if you can download it and create a cd. It will detect any drives that are functioning and connected, and let you format or clone another drive. The original maxblast cd's that come with retail box maxtor drives act as a bootdisk.
m
l
!