Optical in sound card with 5 1 support

t0mt0m

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Hi.
I have bought a Creative X-Fi Titanium for it's Optical In conection but i found out that it doesn't support 5.1 sound,only stereo.
So now i am looking for a soundcard that has Optical in and can decode 5.1 sound to speakers.
Getting an A/V receiver is too expensive so i think a soundcard is a better choice for me.
Thakn you

leon2006

Distinguished
It does support 5.1. I have one and set it to encode 5.1 through spdif. My receiver confirms receiving 5.1 from it.

To get the 5.1 sound i use the optical link.

To get 7.1 i use the analog link feeding my receiver

t0mt0m

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

I'm talking about Creative's Optical IN conector. I have 5.1 audio source (Dune HD player) which i want to connect trough Optical cable to my soundcard and have real 5.1 sound on my speakers.
I'm hoping there is out there a soundcard that can play a role similar to an AV receiver.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Your computer is getting the signal; the fault is with whatever media player you are using. I think if you google "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" and "AC3Filter" and install those 2 components you will be good to go.

t0mt0m

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

OMG....you guys don't seem to get what i'm saying,so i'm gonna try to be more concise:
Dune HD player (or any 5.1 source for that matter) is connected to my Creative X-Fi Titanium trough Optical cable using X-Fi's Optical IN connector. X-Fi DOES NOT ACCEPT 5.1 signal throug OPTICAL IN connector,only stereo (proven fact).I didn't knew that when i bought the X-Fi because it's illogical that a soundcard would not support 5.1 singal INPUT.
So now i'm looking for a sound card that has Optical In and can decode 5.1 INPUT (just like an AV Receiver) so i can have 5.1 sound on my speakers.
Dunno if i can be clearer than that.
Thanks

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
decoder_tab.jpg

Have you tried this?

t0mt0m

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Hmm..i don't have Decoder.Instead i have Encoder.What drivers do you have there?
I have latest XFTI_PCDRV_LB_2_17_0007.

Right...it seems you guys are insisting that i've not set up smth, so look here :
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?url=http://ask.creative.com:80/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe/,/?st=147,e=0000000000242143140,k=1555,sxi=3,case=obj%2884370%29,kb=ww_english_add,varset=ws:http://ie.europe.creative.com

And now that's out of the way i need a sound card that can decode external Dolby Digital signal to my speakers.

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Is it possible to set your source to output PCM instead of DD? I can confirm that the X-FI does accept 5.1 PCM through optical in (I have an old XP box which sends 5.1 PCM via optical to my X-FI and it does output correctly). As you say, it won't decode a DD signal, but if you can set your source to decode and output PCM it should work.

1: Optical/Coaxial does NOT have the bandwith to transmit uncompressed 5.1 audio. Hence the need for compressed standards like DD and DTS

2: No current soundcard [Aside from the Auzentech HTHD and ASUS Xonar HDAV] has a built-in decoder [Thank you, movie studios...], due to DRM issues/piracy concerns. The last ones that did was the old Audigy 2 line, and I think the decoder was removed via drivers a while back... As such, unless you run all your audio through WMP or some other program, you won't be able to decode a DD/DTS signal.

t0mt0m

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

Finally a competent answer.Thank you gamerk316!
Too late tho...as i posted above i'm going with a receiver.
Thread closed!

Colts13

Commendable
Sep 2, 2016
With the xfi-titanium all you needed to do was turn Encoder on or Check mark Play stereo mix using digital output. I have the xfi titanium hd and if i dont have any of those checked or on I am stuck on stereo. Turn on DTS connect or Dobly digital live encoder or check mark digital output and I now have 5.1.

This is also the way to fix no voice audio during cut scenes in games.