Sign in with
Your question

SLI and Cross-Fire worth?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Have you ever bought a SLI or Cross-Fire mobo and actually bought the 2nd GPU more than 6 months after getting the 1st one?

Total: 0 vote

• Yes
  • 0 %
  • No
  • 0 %
March 5, 2010 1:23:27 PM

SLI or Cross-Fire is a way to get more GPU power down the road?

More about : sli cross fire worth

a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 1:25:08 PM

Pointless poll is pointless.
March 5, 2010 1:27:06 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Pointless poll is pointless.

+1 This is a statement, not a question!!!
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 1:30:52 PM

Grammar aside what did you vote for? ;) 
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 2:31:06 PM

I see no voting. I do believe the OP is wanting to know if it's worth getting a good, single GPU card and upgrade later, or find out if people actually upgrade by adding a 2nd card in SLI or CF.
March 5, 2010 2:32:26 PM

Thank you, bystander.
Did not imagine it was so hard to figure it out...
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 2:33:53 PM

There is a problem, however. Your vote doesn't work.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 2:35:37 PM

Ah, I see it was closed. I supose that would do it.
March 5, 2010 2:47:17 PM

Anyway, I got the feeling that people buy a sli/xfire mobo thinking about getting a 2nd card later but, when time comes, the price of the card they first bought has not dropped much.
Therefore, people actually - or should - buy a new generation card instead of getting the second.
If this is true, then the importance of sli/xfire mobo is overstated: you should only get it if you plan on having a 2nd card from the start.
It's a theory I would like to test on field...
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 2:49:37 PM

There could be some truth to that, but I bet those who followed the upgrade path on 8800's were happy with the results. It's probably only a good idea when buying a newly released, high end card.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 2:56:34 PM

galta said:
Anyway, I got the feeling that people buy a sli/xfire mobo thinking about getting a 2nd card later but, when time comes, the price of the card they first bought has not dropped much.
Therefore, people actually - or should - buy a new generation card instead of getting the second.
If this is true, then the importance of sli/xfire mobo is overstated: you should only get it if you plan on having a 2nd card from the start.
It's a theory I would like to test on field...

You might want to edit the poll or start a new one then.
March 5, 2010 2:58:25 PM

I've got a 8800 Ultra bought by some $550 in late 07. By the time I decided to buy the second one, prices were about the same. Actually, I think the last one produced was sold by the same $550 ;) 
At that time, on a price-performance basis, it would have been wiser to sell my old card and buy a newer and more powerfull one (9800GTX2 or 200 series).
I've heard things were different with 8800GT, though.
Anyway, how was your experience on the subject?
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:00:45 PM

galta said:
I've heard things were different with 8800GT, though.
Anyway, how was your experience on the subject?

Who? Me?
March 5, 2010 3:02:38 PM

I was talking to bystander.
Sorry for taking it for granted that because the poll was closed, no one else would be looking at it.
Anyway, you are free to express yourself, if you wish.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:03:26 PM

Well, despite the wayward course of this thread I will say that I did that an older computer. Bought a single card and capable mobo, then decided I needed more power then rather than waiting for the new cards to come out and bought a second one. Served me well.
March 5, 2010 3:05:07 PM

strangestranger said:
Well, despite the wayward course of this thread I will say that I did that an older computer. Bought a single card and capable mobo, then decided I needed more power then rather than waiting for the new cards to come out and bought a second one. Served me well.

Thanks
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:05:57 PM

I never owned a SLI or CF until my last build.

I have an i7 920 and put a 5870 in it. I also put in an old 8800gts for a dedicated PhysX card.

I came to realise that the 5870's were not likely to drop in price for quite some time with the way Fermi was progressing, and decided to just CF another so I could enjoy the insane performance for a longer period of time. I suppose my experience was more of a willpower issue :p 
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:12:58 PM

galta said:
I was talking to bystander.
Sorry for taking it for granted that because the poll was closed, no one else would be looking at it.
Anyway, you are free to express yourself, if you wish.

Having seen so many polls started and the OP never returning to them I couldn't help but wonder if this one was headed in the same direction. As for your question yes, I have bought one card with a view to buying another later on, unfortunately by the time I went shopping again I couldn't find another 7900GT for love nor money so I bought a 7900GTO and swapped it for my friends 7900GT so when I got my 8800's I just bought two at the same time.
March 5, 2010 3:23:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Having seen so many polls started and the OP never returning to them I couldn't help but wonder if this one was headed in the same direction. As for your question yes, I have bought one card with a view to buying another later on, unfortunately by the time I went shopping again I couldn't find another 7900GT for love nor money so I bought a 7900GTO and swapped it for my friends 7900GT so when I got my 8800's I just bought two at the same time.

Thanks for the feedback.
You actually wanted to got SLI, but couldn't find the other card when you needed it. It's just another situation where sli capability does not hedge you in the future.
I got the feeling that unless 2 cards are optimal from the start (Best GPU for the money), it doesn't really help that much later on.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 3:36:03 PM

galta said:
Thanks for the feedback.
You actually wanted to got SLI, but couldn't find the other card when you needed it. It's just another situation where sli capability does not hedge you in the future.
I got the feeling that unless 2 cards are optimal from the start (Best GPU for the money), it doesn't really help that much later on.

Yeah, I have tried to make people aware of that when dual card rigs are talked about but it doesn't always go over well, but with the 8800GT's when I bought them they were £100 pounds cheaper for the pair than a single GTX280 cost and had better results in the benchies.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:29:50 PM

I have just recently built my first 2 card system. And the performance over a single card is amazing. I agree that if you are going to build a 2 card system its best to buy both the cards at the same time unless you are REALLY strapped for cash. I think its totally worth it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 4:44:24 PM

One thing to consider when you plan this way, and is never considered on the money bust card artical, motherboards with CF/SLI capability does cost more money.
March 5, 2010 6:14:06 PM

nrnx said:
I have just recently built my first 2 card system. And the performance over a single card is amazing. I agree that if you are going to build a 2 card system its best to buy both the cards at the same time unless you are REALLY strapped for cash. I think its totally worth it.

Yeah, sure performance is great, but the point is that you've chosen that from the begining, like mousemonkey with his 2 8800GT.

Imagine now you're putting together a rig with a 5870, planning on a 2nd in the future. You pay $410 bucks today for one card, and in a year from now, you face two possibilities: getting another one for $350 (at best) or selling it for $100 for you cousin and getting a brand new ATI 6550 or whatever for $410, that should have the same performance without SLI/Xfire issues.

Again, I think that if it makes sense from the begining, go for it; if it's just for beeing "future proof", I have doubts about it.

Not to mention the price of the mobo, as bystander just did it.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 6:32:08 PM

galta said:
Yeah, sure performance is great, but the point is that you've chosen that from the begining, like mousemonkey with his 2 8800GT.

Imagine now you're putting together a rig with a 5870, planning on a 2nd in the future. You pay $410 bucks today for one card, and in a year from now, you face two possibilities: getting another one for $350 (at best) or selling it for $100 for you cousin and getting a brand new ATI 6550 or whatever for $410, that should have the same performance without SLI/Xfire issues.

Again, I think that if it makes sense from the begining, go for it; if it's just for beeing "future proof", I have doubts about it.

Not to mention the price of the mobo, as bystander just did it.

I so hate that term :lol: , my view of dual card rigs changed after my experience with the 7900's back then I thought it was a viable upgrade path but now I see it as a cheaper alternative to getting a flagship card if you can get two mid to high range cards that are equal to or better than the flagship but costing less overall the mobo cost is offset by the ability to replace those cards for newer ones whilst keeping the same board thus repeating the cycle.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 7:22:42 PM

I agree with mouse; It's why I went 2x Med range == High range rather than High range. Mobo's that support CFX are dirt cheap. $71 for mine on newegg.... Then when next cycle comes I will trade my 2x cards for 1x of the Midrange new performance cards and buy a second :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2010 10:30:57 PM

The only time Ive bought crossfire cards was way back on a black Friday when I got two x1600pro's for $100 each (down 50% from $200 the day before) and placed them into a P45 motherboard with x16 and x4 PCIE slots. i believe the games I played around that time where Battlefield 2 and 2142, I saw a good 25% decrease in map loading times, so now I was the first person to spawn every time. (I did not know about 3DMark and Fraps back then so I cant provide any benchmarks).

Now that I know a lot more than I did back then, I would say getting crossfire cards instead of a single more powerful card off the bat was a bad Idea, as well as crossfire has come along way since the P45 north bridge chipset. Right now my plan is to always get a single powerful card and a crossfire capable motherboard because I like having the option of being able to have the ability to crossfire, as it gives me some more flexibility in my decision, though since then I have not gotten crossfire as buying a more powerful card was the better choice at the times of my upgrades. (realistically most motherboards sold today support crossfire, you've got all the i5/i7 motherboards as well as many of the Core2Duo/Quad, AM2+ and AM3 motherboards)
!