Solved

AM3 SLI Support??

Why is the choice of AM3 SLI boards so limited and does the future look brighter?

I'm thinking about an AM3 + 6 core upgrade but want to run 2x 460GTX.

I don't want Xfire as I use my 460's for Folding.

I'm in no hurry but am just asking whats my best choice at the minute and is it worth waiting?

Thanks all. [:bohleyk:1]
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about support
  1. If you want SLI you pretty much need to go the Intel route. Their CPUs tend to be faster anyways, just cost more. (Probably not an issue for you if you are SLIing.)
  2. Oh, well that would sort of start a whole new thread about which board to go for then.

    What if SLI wasn't a must, would the MSI790FX-GD70 be up there?
  3. 4745454b said:
    If you want SLI you pretty much need to go the Intel route. Their CPUs tend to be faster anyways, just cost more. (Probably not an issue for you if you are SLIing.)


    Or you would need a MOBO with an Nforce based chipset like this MSI NF980-G65
  4. Sure you could. But I'd rather go with an Intel chipset then an Nvidia. The days of the NF4 are over.
  5. Tell me what your budget is and I could come up with couple systems that would support SLI Intel or AMD.
  6. beanoslim said:
    Why is the choice of AM3 SLI boards so limited and does the future look brighter?

    I'm thinking about an AM3 + 6 core upgrade but want to run 2x 460GTX.

    I don't want Xfire as I use my 460's for Folding.

    I'm in no hurry but am just asking whats my best choice at the minute and is it worth waiting?

    Thanks all. [:bohleyk:1]


    BTW the reason why AMD mobo's do not support SLI is because AMD is teamed up with ATI, have you never heared of AMD/ATI.
  7. JDFan said:
    Or you would need a MOBO with an Nforce based chipset like this MSI NF980-G65


    Yeah, theres a couple of boards with the NF980 but does it really stand up to the 790FX / 890FX.

    I really want to know if there is an Nvidia equivalent on the way or is the NF980 it?
  8. 4745454b said:
    Sure you could. But I'd rather go with an Intel chipset then an Nvidia. The days of the NF4 are over.


    I've always had AMD boards, not that I'm anti Intel just the only Intel board I tried was sold after a few weeks of tinkering, the highly reviewed P5B Deluxe, it just annoyed me.

    I would be interested in the Intel equivalent of say a 790FX with a 1090T at the moment and the price comparison from someone who knows as I'm not to hot on the Intel lineup. :pfff:

    If money was no object I would obviously go for the absolute top spec but money is an issue although I'll always pay a bit more if the right choice is that bit more worth it.
  9. CuSpade said:
    Tell me what your budget is and I could come up with couple systems that would support SLI Intel or AMD.


    Well as I said I'm in no hurry so the budget can be planned when I find out my options. ;)

    I don't buy cheap and I like to OC if that helps.

    Quote:
    BTW the reason why AMD mobo's do not support SLI is because AMD is teamed up with ATI, have you never heared of AMD/ATI.


    Yeah ATI do graphics cards don't they. :lol: No I did realise that this was the reason for the great Xfire chipsets, just surprised that Nvidea hadn't come back with more options. Like I've already said I'd prefer some Intel options as I'm pretty clued up with the AMD options, I just imagine the Intels being a bit pricey.

    Thanks.
  10. Best answer
    The Intel equivalent would probably be a P55 board with the i5 760. It should be priced pretty much the same, and will be faster then the 1090 in games. The 1090 will be better in a few apps that scale with cores, but overall the 760 is faster.

    The i7 920/930 is also priced pretty close to the 1090, but the boards are more expensive.
  11. So which would fold better, surely 6 cores??

    Could you point me in the direction of 3 top i5 boards then that are good OC ers.

    BTW, how does the i5 OC?

    Thanks. :)

    Oh and it needs to have room for 2 big graphics cards.
  12. Folding? Use the GPU client.
  13. I do, was just wondering. :whistle:
  14. I would look at the ASUS M4N98TD EVO {AM3 + SLI} - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636

    ASUS carries several AM3 SLI MOBOs... :)
  15. ^Seems to have everything but still not sure about the 980a chipset, and I don't like the look of it. :(

    Been doing a bit of research and seen that some of the X58 chipsets support SLI and XFire.

    The more I discover the more complicated it gets. :pt1cable:
  16. It's all about the Dough ($)! Sure the X58 is the ideal SLI, no argument nor debate here.
  17. So I'm gonna stick with what I've got at the mo as after looking into it I'd like my next move to be towards an X58 with a 6 core i7 so I'm gonna save up some cash and wait for the 980X to drop to £100 / $155. :lol:

    Thanks for the input. [:bohleyk:1]
  18. Best answer selected by beanoslim.
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Support SLI Motherboards Product