seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I have a 1200w PC&POWER Cooling Psu powering my system.I also have a Silverstone 1000w DA-1000 collecting dust.I had asked a few days ago about hooking up 2 psu's together and got a few helpful links.One was an adapter to run the 2 in tandem and the other links were about using a psu booster.My question is I am going to run 4-way-Sli,and the 1200w psu is not sufficient enough power.I have a lot of components in my rig(look at my profile).I dont want to do anything that has not been tried and tested before.Should I go for installing the 1000w to split the duties of the workload or should I purchase a power booster.Which one would be the safest choice and it would be appreciated if anyone could give a little pros &cons opinion.

Solution
your 1200 pc power and cooling psu is very good. There is no real performance advantage using 4 graphics cards over 3, it just uses more power, is noisier, and creates more heat.
The best thing you can do is a dual 5970 config. anything more is useless.

that 1000w psu you have collecting dust...does it need a good home? :)

shovenose

Distinguished
your 1200 pc power and cooling psu is very good. There is no real performance advantage using 4 graphics cards over 3, it just uses more power, is noisier, and creates more heat.
The best thing you can do is a dual 5970 config. anything more is useless.

that 1000w psu you have collecting dust...does it need a good home? :)

Solution

Dual 5970's = Quadfire

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

I already purchased the 4 480's.My motherboard is the latest Gigabyte item( UD9).I also see now that Sapphire Toxic items are gonna be available next week,but I already pulled the trigger on my configuration.I even got a Lian li dual psu adapter. My mobo has 2-8 pin power connectors,I wonder if this is for another psu??I looked in the manual; and on a few sites but this mobo is still too new.I was gonna have the 1200w running my whole rig except 2 0f the 480's and was gonna have those guys to the 1000w.I have a lot of extra components around,Razer soundcard(does not support the mobo i have),Silverstone 1000w psu,intel stock heatsink for a 980,Asus ws P6t6 revolution mobo just came back from rma,lite-on IDE dvd drive,Silverstone Raven RV01 case,Bfg 260,Evga 295 Co Op,Dell (computer I am troubleshooting my builds with)Yes,I have enough components to build my brother his birthday gift but the power supply I wanted to utilize If possible.My LIan Li case is big enough for water cooling and another Psu.

No.
It's something that's usually found on dual socket motherboards, in the case of the UD9 it would seem to be there to provide more stable power for massive cpu overclocks.
You would not want to use connectors from 2 different power supplies on your motherboard, even if they were exactly the same the output differences could lead to damaged components.
Your PCP&C 1200 should have dual 8 pin EPS connector's, use them.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah,since I wont have any use for it,also the air cooler I am using right now(Zalman cnps 9900),I might upgrade to Liquid(gigabyte galaxy2 liquid cooler)maybe,if my case runs too hot with these 480's.If I had known the Saphire Toxis 5970s were coming out in mere days,I would have purchased 2 of them,,but,,,,,instead of a highly cooled item I have 4 george forman grills.lol,I am sure the temps wont be that bad but if they are I will sell them.I remember back when the 260s first came out,people were complaining of heat issues.Ha,I have a bfg super clocked 260 in my dell tower with no fans,0 and the case stays acceptable.My case now has 5 fans and I added another one(internally).

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
how about something little and simple???like an asetek or corsair watercooler.(the little small $65.00 kit)I just dont feel comfortable with a lot of fluids in my build.I have been reading up on liquid&water cooling for quite some time.Should I just go basic??Of course I would get better cooling from water going to my chipset and my gpus.I have about $1,300 to spend but this is one department where I really feel uneasy.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

i found a safer way 2 run 2 psus the item is called a Bitspower x-station multi psu module.It is safe and there are ones that come with red leds,blue and green.I looked up some reviews about the current psus are not powerful enough to run 4 way sli,and some 3 way sli.

It's not "safer", it's just a different configuration capable of supporting multiple power supplies.