Copper Shims?

izixyl

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I have an HP dv8t (service manual) with an Intel i7 Q720 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M graphics. I need to take the laptop apart for a couple of reasons:

1. it is having heat problems and likely needs to be cleaned.
2. This laptop suffers from a problem common to this model in which the wifi and sound controls will randomly shut off and on due to a improperly ground cable (sleeplessnerd documents the problem and how to fix it).

I never work on laptops though I know enough about how to install hardware on a PC. On the other hand, I did build a PC (but it was a decade ago) and I fixed about my Xbox last year. I'm an amateur but I think it would be good skill to develop since I might need to clean it again on the cheap.

In the process of watching youtube videos of people taking apart their laptops, I came across a guy that installed copper shims on his processor and graphics chip and this was supposed to allow it run cooler. It seems like a very cheap, simple way of getting your laptop to run cooler, therefore faster/longer. I'd like to pull something like this off if I could but this would be bit more complicated than just cleaning out the dust. For one, it could make it impossible to put the laptop back together.

So does anyone have any advice?
Are copper shims worthwhile?
Are the dimensions of a copper shim have to be specific to particular line of hardware (the computers or the components themselves)?
Is this way too advanced for a novice?
Possible problems?

Solution
Skip the shims and stick with a good thermal interface material (google if you don't know what this is). If you were to add copper shims you'd just be adding another layer of material for the heat to transfer through and you'd need TIM on both sides of the shim.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Skip the shims and stick with a good thermal interface material (google if you don't know what this is). If you were to add copper shims you'd just be adding another layer of material for the heat to transfer through and you'd need TIM on both sides of the shim.

Solution

Chibinho

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
opening a laptop isn't Hard. just be careful, so you won't break anything. if it's hard to remove, make sure that you unscrewed every bolt. Copper Shims, i think there are universal sizes, not Sure. And Copper Shims, depend. Make some research, See how much they improve Temperatures, and i think if they lower the temps for +5º, worth it. But, The point is, Opening a laptop isn't difficult. just be careful with the wiring. especially the Touchpad and the Keyboard ones.

laptops are a pain to take apart, especially to get down to the heatsink. If you're overheating, odd's are the thermal paste is pretty toast and you have to take it down to that level anyways. Some laptops are ok, some are a pain. Watch out of different screw lengths and keep track of what goes where or you'll put a long screw through a short screw hole and probably through the motherboard or keyboard or something. Watch out for all the cables and everything as they can snap easily.

izixyl

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Thanks everyone for responding.

Can you explain? What happens to the thermal paste if you have running hot? What is the solution?

laptops get hot. People use them as desktop pc's and leave them on 24/7, sitting on the bed, in the car, etc and that doesn't help the heat. Couple that with cheap thermal paste used when it was made, and over time, the thermal paste dries up and cracks and doesn't make good contact with the heatsink and the cpu or gpu. That excess heat either builds up around the gpu and you get artifacts, blue screens, other errors. The Cpu runs hot and it either shuts down, throttles down the speed, etc.

Replacing the thermal paste on a few year old laptop and cleaning the dustbunnies out of the fan isn't uncommon, it's just laborous because of the work involved taking laptops apart.