nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
My friend has kind of been looking to buy a new PC. His main motivation is that his old Dell's Intel IGP is no good for the flight simulator he wants to use. (It also doesn't have much upgrading potential, since it lacks AGP or PCI Express slots.) Now that Vista is old news it's a better time to get a new PC anyway. ;) I was going to try and give him an idea of how much a homebuilt PC would cost for him, so I was wondering if you fellows wouldn't mind looking over my selection:

Rosewill R101-P-BK Computer Case
CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W Power Supply
AMD Athlon II X3 435 (2.9GHz, Socket AM3)
BIOSTAR A785G3 (AM3, 785G) Motherboard
2 x 2GB A-DATA RAM (PC3 10666)
WD Caviar Blue 640GB Hard Drive
ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 24X DVD Burner

(Don't worry; I won't neglect to mention the cost of an OS as well.) Basically I just want to propose something that will get him good bang for the buck right now, and be fairly upgradeable should he want to improve it later. I know there's no graphics card in that list, but I was thinking it might be better to hold off on getting that until he's tried the IGP on that motherboard.

I know it's still not exactly the greatest GPU out there, but I imagine it should kick the pants off a six-year-old Intel IGP, and with his small monitor it might end up being adequate for his needs in the here and now. (He's not really a 'gamer' per se, so I don't think he'll be needing too fantastic of a GPU - just something to try out his flight simulator on.) We can always throw in a graphics card if it ends up he wants better graphics performance.

Anyway, how does that selection look?

Solution
Most modern games 1680 x 1050 high but very comfortably on medium ^^ $563 AR
posw.jpg

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
The only thing I like is the PSU ... Keep that.

** THE ** most important component ... The GPU (graphics card) ... Where is it ?

The rest of it pretty much sucks and I am not kidding. (I don't like having to say that ... but true).

Calling all Value Techs ?!

Judging from the rest of your "budget", I would say that you want to purchase the best GPU you can stretch for (just one .. no CrossFire) and I would hope that GPU would be a 5750, at the least. (avoid the 5830) ... Build the rest of the system around that.

Somebody please do a quality Value Build for this FLIGHT SIMULATOR system ...
... Please ?

= Alvin =

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

Um, before you insult my choices try reading my whole post?
(Don't worry; I won't neglect to mention the cost of an OS as well.) Basically I just want to propose something that will get him good bang for the buck right now, and be fairly upgradeable should he want to improve it later. I know there's no graphics card in that list, but I was thinking it might be better to hold off on getting that until he's tried the IGP on that motherboard.

I know it's still not exactly the greatest GPU out there, but I imagine it should kick the pants off a six-year-old Intel IGP, and with his small monitor it might end up being adequate for his needs in the here and now. (He's not really a 'gamer' per se, so I don't think he'll be needing too fantastic of a GPU - just something to try out his flight simulator on.) We can always throw in a graphics card if it ends up he wants better graphics performance.
Since everything besides the PSU "sucks", what would you recommend that offers a better price : performance ratio? (You might mention that the CPU sucks to the authors at THG as well, since that CPU earned a "best gaming CPU for the money" spot in their latest comparison.) The target for the system is ~$600, and as it is, I figured it would be a little over $500 once the OS is thrown in. I figured the remaining budget could go toward a discrete graphics card, should he need one.

As I said, he's not really a big gamer. About 98% of the time, this system is probably going to be doing internet surfing and office work. It just seemed a little silly to be in a rush to fork over cash on a graphics card that he might not use extensively, especially when we have the option to defer purchasing it until after he's tried the IGP.