Solved

Is OC'ing a newer CPU put out less heat than an older CPU?

This is what I am wondering if I over clock my 3570k to 4.5Ghz will it put out less heat than a Sandy bridge or first gen i5 to the same Ghz? I have been looking at coolers and the most important thing to me is getting the best deal lol. I see the Hyper 212 plus went from $30 a few days ago to $20 after rebate. This looks likes a good upgrade from my stock cpu. I am wondering if I could reach 4.5Ghz w/ the 212. I have also been looking at the ETS-T40, which starts at $35 and has got some great reviews, but at the same time it has more area to dissipate heat I think about 40% more, this will eat a lot more room in my case.

I really enjoy bargain hunting more than having the best system I can have. I would like a cooler to get me to 4.5Ghz.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about newer heat older
  1. In theory, yes it will put out less heat than a Sandy Bridge chip. Ivy Bridge has a lower power draw than Sandy, which directly impacts its heat output.
    However Ivy notoriously has an inferior TIM underneath its heat-spreader than Sandy does, so the heat it generates doesn't dissipate as well, especially once you really start messing with the voltage.

But yes, a 212 EVO (better baseplate than the 212+) could bring you to 4.5Ghz if you are willing to live with higher temps. Around that kind of frequency is where I think you should get better cooling than the Hyper 212's.
  2. How about will i5's of the same ghz of i7's put out less heat than the i7s?
  3. Best answer
    Look it up, the i5's and LGA1155 i7's have the same TDP, so same heat output.
  4. Best answer selected by solarity.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heat CPUs Sandy Bridge Overclocking