Sign in with
Your question

NVidia NVIDIA 196.75 drivers killing cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 3:36:01 PM

You know, I have heard allegations of drivers killing cards in the past but this time around and this soon, I already know of 2 people personally who are RMA'ing their cards. WTG Nvidia.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 4:52:34 PM

strangestranger said:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282968-15-nvidia-ki...

Last thread about this got closed. No idea why.

Because I felt that it was just a troll post that was going to become a flame fest as well as being told that :-
JofaMang said:
anecdotal evidence is useless, and can only degrade the credibility of the person trying to pass it off as some sort of proof.

A bit like what roofus has just done as I don't see any proof to back up what he has said.
March 5, 2010 8:14:59 PM

well guys...

from my perspective its not recent drivers!!! [at least not alone]

i got 195.62 for a long time - doing F@H, playing mass effect 2 for about 3 weeks...

today my card [gtx280] crashed about 4 times with mosaic on a screen [DID NOT INSTALLED NEW NVIDIA DRIVERS]

first Portal then battlefield BC2 left on menu screen

then i run mass effect 2 with cpuid logging to a file - guess what it crashed

here is plot:

[sorry im a noob in posting here - i don know how to upload picture :( ((( ]

let me describe

temp goes slowly up

rpm too but then rpm goes suddenly up and then plummets and stabilizes on low, after couple seconds - crash

the only new thing i can think of i installed is Battlefield Bad Company 2 in a morning [with some dx, c++ libraries - steam version]
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 8:25:21 PM

Heh, good job nVidia.

This is what happens when a company starts panicking to the point they neglect their current offerings. Oh well.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 8:44:13 PM

nfail said:
I'm sure mousemonkey here will keep everybody updated on it the same way he's kept us all up to date on the ati gsod.

I might do, then again I might just delete this thread and perma-ban you.

No problems here mate, just like all those who are not having the GSOD issue. :D 
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 9:01:50 PM

The old shampoo commercial: I know 2 friends, who know 2 friends........
First off, I hear overheating issues and of course it explodes to burning cards.
This driver probably is the same one cycled out of beta, which probably ran on thousandS of cards for a while. Which tells me that a fan profile, or curve is probably less aggressive than past or models being given profiles from other models. Of course they might have boosted some internal gpu processing ! Causing the heat , but probably not. End of the world? I don't think so. I'm waiting for a user ,who actually noticed his or her card running hotter not named Nfail or Ginny. :)  to give us the skinny.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 9:03:04 PM

Yeah, but you're also considered, 'technical.' When you look at 85% of everyone who owns an nVidia 8XXX card or higher, you will see they're not into fine-tuning, OC'ing, or manual fan-control, and wouldn't know about the issues.

GSOD doesn't kill your graphics card :D 
March 5, 2010 9:08:20 PM

Here's an update from NVIDIA:
Bryan Del Rizzo, nVidia's PR Manager for GeForce for comment: "We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime."
March 5, 2010 9:11:08 PM

Is it me or does it seem like nVidia's Beta drives work better? I haven't gotten a WHQL drive in ages as they never properly worked for me. For example, the last WHQL (IIRC) driver locked up OCing for quite a lot of people. What's going on nVidia?
March 5, 2010 9:12:49 PM

Perhaps it is that they have diverted a lot of resources into getting the fermi drivers ready and going into overdrive(boom boom) to get them sorted at the expense of other things.
March 5, 2010 9:15:28 PM

Nvidia knows something is wrong, I doubt it will be long till it is fixed but that does not help people who's cards are dead. As these are WHQL can people claim these under warranty?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 9:21:00 PM

shadow187 said:
GSOD doesn't kill your graphics card :D 

But the 9.11, 9.12, 10.1 and 10.2 drivers or any hotfxes haven't worked either. :kaola: 
JAYDEEJOHN said:
Here's an update from NVIDIA:
Bryan Del Rizzo, nVidia's PR Manager for GeForce for comment: "We are aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues with the latest 196.75 WHQL drivers on NVIDIA.com. Until we can verify and root cause this issue, we recommend that customers stay with, or return to 196.21 WHQL drivers. Release 196.75 drivers have been temporarily removed from our Web site in the meantime."

Which is a bit different to "There is no problem that we are aware of, oh wait yes there is but we didnt cause it, oh wait yes we did this'll fix it, oh wait no this'll fix it, oh wait this might, oh wait no..."
Shadow703793 said:
Is it me or does it seem like nVidia's Beta drives work better? I haven't gotten a WHQL drive in ages as they never properly worked for me. For example, the last WHQL (IIRC) driver locked up OCing for quite a lot of people. What's going on nVidia?

The mystery only deepens.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 9:28:28 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But the 9.11, 9.12, 10.1 and 10.2 drivers or any hotfxes haven't worked either. :kaola: 

Which is a bit different to "There is no problem that we are aware of, oh wait yes there is but we didnt cause it, oh wait yes we did this'll fix it, oh wait no this'll fix it, oh wait this might, oh wait no..."

The old trying to get new customers of cards not to return them to the retailer for refund, trick ? NO WAY, ATI would never do that for the last 4 months , oh wait they just made some more promises for 10.3/ .4 . Just wait , the dual monitor flickering, grey screening, vertical striping will ALL GO AWAY then, oh and the 2D will be fixed TO!! No reason to return anything, in fact tell your friends to buy ATI to !

March 5, 2010 9:31:29 PM

anybody having gsod problems can send the card back for RMA.

is nVidia going to accept RMAs for these killed cards? if you can find a link from nVidia stating that then i am happy to say they are doing the right thing.
March 5, 2010 9:36:44 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I might do, then again I might just delete this thread and perma-ban you.

I hope your joking, because that's pretty sad otherwise...

Mousemonkey said:

The only thing that is deepening, is my doubt of your objectiveness.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT ATI!!!

This is about a possible problem with a nVidia driver.

We need to wait for more information and monitor ours temps carefully with these newer drivers.

That's it.

Why is it that at every turn when there is something negative being pointed out about nVidia, you have turn it around and bring ATI into the equation. Yeah there are problems constantly developing with both companies in equal measure. That's fine, but bringing up these points is only making you look biased and desperate to defend nVidia.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 9:39:40 PM

Mousemonkey; this is also new hardware. Sure, it's also 6 months old, but that's relatively new. Also, GSOD was fixed on 90%+ HD5.7K series, I believe. Ever release will have its bugs.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 9:42:18 PM

notty22 said:
The old trying to get new customers of cards not to return them to the retailer for refund, trick ? NO WAY, ATI would never do that for the last 4 months , oh wait they just made some more promises for 10.3/ .4 . Just wait , the dual monitor flickering, grey screening, vertical striping will ALL GO AWAY then, oh and the 2D will be fixed TO!! No reason to return anything, in fact tell your friends to buy ATI to !

Indeed, I'll cut them some slack on the 9.9 and 9.10 drivers as the cards had only just been released but after that, no excuses as their software team must have known that the cards were around and out in the wild. As for the Nvidia drivers, doesn't everyone OC? it is always something that is brought up if the ATi cards are not looking too stellar in the old benchmarks "With an OC and driver improvements...yada, yada".
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 9:47:51 PM

AMW1011 said:
I hope your joking, because that's pretty sad otherwise...

The only thing that is deepening, is my doubt of your objectiveness.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT ATI!!!

This is about a possible problem with a nVidia driver.

We need to wait for more information and monitor ours temps carefully with these newer drivers.

That's it.

Why is it that at every turn when there is something negative being pointed out about nVidia, you have turn it around and bring ATI into the equation. Yeah there are problems constantly developing with both companies in equal measure. That's fine, but bringing up these points is only making you look biased and desperate to defend nVidia.

Get a grip and re read the thread, who was the first person to bring up the GSOD issue?, I'm beginning to wonder about your so called non bias myself.
March 5, 2010 9:49:32 PM

What about all the other threads?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 10:05:33 PM

strangestranger said:
What about all the other threads?

The other threads where I've mentioned the GSOD issue? :ange: 
March 5, 2010 10:06:33 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Get a grip and re read the thread, who was the first person to bring up the GSOD issue?, I'm beginning to wonder about your so called non bias myself.

maybe if you didnt do it lots of times before the ati supporters wouldnt be taking the piss now?
March 5, 2010 10:13:43 PM

Mousemonkey said:

The rest of us are not Moderators, you really should be more careful of how you respond to what normal users post on the forums even if it's nothing more than provocations. If there is someone here that should take no sides on a Nvidia Vs ATI war and put some order in it that is you the Moderator.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, just pointing out how i feel after reading some of your posts.
March 5, 2010 10:20:52 PM

But can the dead cards play Crysis?

On a diffrent note, does anyone know what percentage of the cards with the new drivers are frying?
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 10:23:23 PM

The only thing I will say about MM's moderating is that one shouldn't make a company-sided statement, and then remove posts/lock threads after (nVidiots / ATIdiots) people retaliate.

Senseless name-calling, trolling, and flaming aside, of course.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 10:23:47 PM

nfail said:
maybe if you didnt do it lots of times before the ati supporters wouldnt be taking the piss now?

Am I supposed to be upset by that? Because I'm not.
DarkMantle said:
The rest of us are not Moderators, you really should be more careful of how you respond to what normal users post on the forums even if it's nothing more than provocations. If there is someone here that should take no sides on a Nvidia Vs ATI war and put some order in it that is you the Moderator.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time here, just pointing out how i feel after reading some of your posts.

I was not aware of any rules precluding me from preferring Nvidia cards, that's something that is in your own head.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 10:30:25 PM

shadow187 said:
The only thing I will say about MM's moderating is that one shouldn't make a company-sided statement, and then remove posts/lock threads after (nVidiots / ATIdiots) people retaliate.

Senseless name-calling, trolling, and flaming aside, of course.

If you are referring to the thread I think you are, then the OP's nym and post topic kinda screamed TROLL, and if there were a problem with the way I reacted then I'm sure Admin would have been in touch with me by now.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 10:33:46 PM

Oh that was completely justified. Hence the last line of my opinion, :) .
March 5, 2010 10:35:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Am I supposed to be upset by that? Because I'm not.

I was not aware of any rules precluding me from preferring Nvidia cards, that's something that is in your own head.

WOW... just WOW, i feel like i'm speaking to a 6 year old. I have nothing more to say to you, do what ever you want, i'm done with you.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
March 5, 2010 10:44:50 PM

DarkMantle said:
WOW... just WOW, i feel like i'm speaking to a 6 year old. I have nothing more to say to you, do what ever you want, i'm done with you.

Excellent, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 11:07:53 PM

BBcode ain't working D:
!