Digital wireless LCDs ?

geemy

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
The latest article about flat panels mentionned WiFi cordless LCDs on the writter's whishlist. That would mean 1280*1024*75Hz*24bits = 2.4GBits (even with an hypothecal 2.5:1 lossless compression that would still mean 1Gigabit) would be needed so given the price of current 11MBits WiFi Components I think we're stuck for a while with VGA and DVI interface and its successors unless you're ready to pay a lot for the sake of getting rid of this VGA/DVI cable.
I think the display will be the last peripheral to go wireless and that's not that bad since you're not going to carry your screen around unless it's very small. I'd rather see "cheap" wall screens, although carrying a very light screen and reading the latest news on your lap could be pretty cool to but I think this kind of tablets will need embedded graphic controller and CPU so it's rather like a laptop without keyboard

Dynamo

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Well the wireless monitors I have seen have a 400 Mhz Intel inside them, so I assume some they do have a graphical controller of some sorts.

oxoUK

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Well you could do it with better compression such as used by windows terminal services/remote desktop. In this case the only data sent is about changes to the "desktop" and this way the bandwith requirement is reduced. This is no good for games though.

For the record I agree that "Tablet PC" approach with built in CPU & GPU is much better for wireless use. Still, this is only any good for surfing/editing documents as most games need a fixed display and proper keyboard.

Hope this dosn't sound like a rant cos it isn't ment to be ;)

oxo

TRENDING THREADS