Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

When i shutdown my laptop the screen shut dowen but the power button still light

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Laptops
  • Light
  • Shutdown
  • Power
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
January 2, 2013 4:49:47 PM

When i shutdown my laptop the screen shut dowen but the power button still light remains on i dnt know how to properly shutdown my laptop

More about : shutdown laptop screen shut dowen power button light

a c 245 D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 2, 2013 4:50:36 PM

Hi :) 

Power button or charging button ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 2, 2013 5:05:08 PM

its the power button from where u can turn off the laptop.when i shut down my laptop no matter what os it is running the screen gets black showing its torned off but power button,fan and dvd rom still runs showing that it has power i have to shut it down by pressing the key for 5 seconds.help please why it does not completely shuts down???
m
l
Related resources
a c 245 D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 2, 2013 5:07:04 PM

You DID run the 8 compatibility wizard BEFORE you upgraded to 8 of course ?

m
l
January 2, 2013 5:32:41 PM

i m running windows 7 on it but still having the same problem i have to properly shut down it by pressing the power button
m
l
a c 245 D Laptop
a b * Windows 8
January 2, 2013 5:49:40 PM

hamza razzaq said:
i m running windows 7 on it but still having the same problem i have to properly shut down it by pressing the power button

This is the 8 section.....
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:09:36 PM

perviously it was running on windows 8 and i have checked the compatibility also and its good HP 1000-1140TU Notebook PC core i3 2.4 2gb of ram.i dont know whats the problem with shut down
m
l
January 2, 2013 6:12:09 PM

are you sure your shutting down and not sleep or hibernating it...
m
l
January 18, 2013 9:34:19 AM

i m properly shutting down my pc
m
l
December 30, 2013 5:11:06 AM

its also happening to me right now. I using windows 8. I can shutdown properly... the screen turns black but theres still at my power button.
m
l
February 1, 2014 10:40:04 AM

When i shutdown my laptop the screen shut dowen but the power button still light remains on i dnt know how to properly shutdown my laptop
m
l
March 2, 2014 5:39:31 AM

Hi
Hold [SHIFT] key and then click shutdown
m
l
March 20, 2014 7:01:12 AM

Hi, i'm having the same issue, you tell your computer to shut down, it shuts down what is running but than the power light and fan are still on (haven't checked to see if my dvd player is). Even when i was running Ubuntu for a while it would do this to me. Since than i put the original version of Windows 7 on my computer hoping that i was just Ubuntu causing that problem (among many), but it wasn't. Could this be from the OS not being installed properly, or perhaps a bad driver?
m
l
June 3, 2014 3:15:16 PM

I too am having the same problem with my new Dell laptop (less than a month old). I click shut down, the screen goes black but lights and fan still going strong. I can only shut down properly by forcing a shut down by holding the on/off button for several seconds. Sad that there don't seem to be any answers.
m
l
June 3, 2014 11:06:53 PM

m
l
June 11, 2014 9:39:55 PM

jpovey said:
I too am having the same problem with my new Dell laptop (less than a month old). I click shut down, the screen goes black but lights and fan still going strong. I can only shut down properly by forcing a shut down by holding the on/off button for several seconds. Sad that there don't seem to be any answers.

m
l
June 14, 2014 10:49:49 PM

1. go to power options in control panel
2. go to left side options in what does power button do
3. click on the link "change settings which are currently unavailable"
4. uncheck fast startup option recommended by windows
5. save changes
6. try to shut down now

fast startup---- it just shuts down the computer and remove power from essential components like hdd, ram, cd rom, cpu
but doesnt turn off lights to lower boot time...
m
l
June 15, 2014 3:24:06 AM

Hi,
One or more of the Drivers is incompatible with Windows 8.x, it can be a hardware driver or software like virtual printers or anti-viruses.
To test this install Windows and install only hardware drivers then before installing any software test system sleep/shutdown and install one by one another things to find which driver is incompatible
m
l
June 16, 2014 10:48:15 AM

jpovey said:

m
l
June 16, 2014 10:54:32 AM

Hi I've been having the same trouble but i read your comment and have held down the on/off button and its worked thank you for your answer
m
l
October 6, 2014 3:25:52 AM

sahil thnks man u are my hero
<3 guys try sahil method 100 % can solve this problem :) 
m
l
October 13, 2014 11:55:00 PM

When I shutdown my laptop the screen shut down but the start button still light not shut down completely
m
l
December 5, 2014 8:55:59 PM

Hi
This problem occurrs when one of drivers like Hardware, Or Antivirus Or Virtual drives Or virtual printers is not compatible with WIN8.X, For solvin this permanently update your drivers and software specialy antivirus to their last version.
m
l
December 22, 2014 3:55:47 AM

Try having this problem on a tablet with no keyboard.
There is no way to turn it off to reboot. After all the updates were installed, when I long pressed the power button I got the half screen that tells me to swipe it to the bottom to turn it off, but all it did was turn off the screen. Now when I long press the power button the half screen shows telling me to swipe it to the bottom to turn off the computer and it still doesn't turn it off. If I short press the power button the display apparently turns on, but the screen is black. I know the screen is on because when I press the volume buttons the volume scale shows and when I press the auto-rotate button a message briefly appears telling me auto-rotate is on (or off).
I now have a 10 inch paperweight.
I'm hoping when the battery runs down it will turn itself off and I"ll be able to reboot after I recharge. Of course I'll never be able to power it off again.
m
l
December 22, 2014 7:19:21 AM

Hi
I'm sorry. I don't understand your question currectly. After installing Windows, don't install any other things Test the shutdown, And If it wok correctly, install others, BUT after install each test shutdown.
m
l
December 24, 2014 3:22:30 PM

although it isnt the smartest thing to do, if all else dails, you should just take out the battery, unplug the charger (if connected) then put the battery back in.
It worked with me when nothing else worked, so hopefully it will work with others, too
m
l
December 31, 2014 7:15:50 AM

drjackool said:

Man, you are the smartest guy of the planet. Thx very much!
m
l
February 6, 2015 6:53:21 PM

Sahil Gupta said:
5. save changes
6. try to shut down now

fast startup---- it just shuts down the computer and remove power from essential components like hdd, ram, cd rom, cpu

SiR, hoW to do this in windows XP... can you please tell mee...
m
l
February 17, 2015 4:56:54 AM

Thank you! your answer worked and it fixed the error correctly and now laptop properly shutting down. and now there is no further pending any action. thankyou:
m
l
February 23, 2015 8:25:55 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Power button or charging button ?

Hey Brett...It was said... P O W E R... button and NOT charging button.
m
l
May 19, 2015 3:18:37 PM

Sahil Gupta said:
5. save changes
6. try to shut down now

m
l
May 19, 2015 3:21:24 PM

I was dealing with that problem
Thanks a lot man your method really worked.
Mr. Sahil u r awesome man
m
l
July 15, 2015 9:10:08 AM

This helped so much,

5. save changes
6. try to shut down now

but doesnt turn off lights to lower boot time...[/quotemsg]

m
l
July 30, 2015 4:56:47 AM

dude i got same problem in windows 7

m
l
August 2, 2015 1:06:39 AM

hamza razzaq said:

m
l
October 8, 2015 9:07:11 AM

Just update your Anti virus
Problem will be resolved .
m
l
October 16, 2015 10:49:44 PM

uninstall these drivers prob will be solved

intel rapid storage

intel security assist

intel management engine
just keep the intel graphics driver....
i was also have these prob for 2 month but now it is solved....its really frustrating i knw...but i lstly found a solution.....it will work for sure
m
l
November 5, 2015 1:01:58 PM

hamza razzaq said:
its the power button from where u can turn off the laptop.when i shut down my laptop no matter what os it is running the screen gets black showing its torned off but power button,fan and dvd rom still runs showing that it has power i have to shut it down by pressing the key for 5 seconds.help please why it does not completely shuts down???

m
l
January 7, 2016 11:46:32 PM

hi
im having same problem, in old laptop dell inspiron first time this problem occur i dont know why this problem come and even i sell that laptop and buy a new samsung laptop after few months this problem come again this time knew that i installed something that who make laptop like this then i thought last time too i did something. if anybody have answer plz help me. i tried from many sites but not fixed that problem and your answers too dint work. not only power button but fan and cd insert wifi button light keeps on. i will see this site again after 1 week for my answer if anybody helped me
m
l
January 21, 2016 12:11:18 PM

Rajeeev said:

m
l
July 11, 2016 9:15:13 PM

drjackool said:

Worked in a (fu.ing) HP with win 10.. I have to thank you even a couple of years after your solution man.

BTW, what is the SHIFT doing when i press the turn off buttom?
m
l