Deleting folders under Documents and Settings

I use XP Pro, upgraded from XP Home 18 months ago.

In tidying my system after installing a new HDD last week, I’ve found a
bunch of folders under ‘Documents and Settings’ that I have no use for. A
couple hold data (4Gb -- lots of video) that I don’t need, so I’m hoping for
some advice on which of them I can delete.

Do I need to keep ‘Owner’ and any .OWNER extensions? I assume these relate
to the default profiles set up on the original installation under Home, but
I’ve since moved my files to a named account.

I realise I need to keep all the hidden folders and those with extensions --
..NT AUTHORITY, .WINDOWS, .MAIN (the name given to my PC).

Do I need to keep ‘Administrator’? Other accounts on the system have admin
privileges.

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about deleting folders documents settings

    Default Local Disk Folders

    Folder Name: Documents and Settings
    Contents: Account information for each user who is granted access on the
    computer. Each user account is represented by a subfolder assigned the user
    name. Folders under each user account folder include My Documents, Desktop,
    and Start Menu.

    These include:

    Administrator
    All Users
    Default User
    LocalService
    NetworkService
    You

    Some of the above are Hidden folders.
    These are System folders and shouldn't be deleted.
    ===

    [[SYMPTOMS
    The Owner account may not be removed correctly when you run Setup on
    computers that are running Windows XP Home Edition. The Owner account is
    displayed as "Account Unknown" when you view profiles on the computer. Also,
    the Owner folder is not removed because the profile is not removed. Note
    that other problems occur if an Owner account is used or created during the
    remainder of setup or Out of Box Experience (OOBE).]]

    [[This problem does not occur on Microsoft Windows XP Professional-based
    computers because the Administrator account is used during Setup.]]

    The Owner Account Is Displayed As "Account Unknown"
    in Profiles on Windows XP Home Edition-Based Computers
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312131

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:F34FE0C3-5E90-4CF1-9A91-1C1210277333@microsoft.com,
    emmeff <emmeff@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I use XP Pro, upgraded from XP Home 18 months ago.
    >
    > In tidying my system after installing a new HDD last week, I’ve
    > found a
    > bunch of folders under ‘Documents and Settings’ that I have no
    > use for. A couple hold data (4Gb -- lots of video) that I don’t
    > need, so I’m hoping for some advice on which of them I can delete.
    >
    > Do I need to keep ‘Owner’ and any .OWNER extensions? I assume
    > these relate to the default profiles set up on the original
    > installation under Home, but I’ve since moved my files to a named
    > account.
    >
    > I realise I need to keep all the hidden folders and those with
    > extensions -- .NT AUTHORITY, .WINDOWS, .MAIN (the name given to my
    > PC).
    >
    > Do I need to keep ‘Administrator’? Other accounts on the system
    > have admin privileges.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for the pointer, Wesley, but I still can't achieve what I had hoped.
    I'ver tried deleting the 'Owner' folders, but without success andI can't
    delete the files within them. I can't rename them, either. So at the moment
    I seem to be stuck with some very large files and no means for getting rid of
    them.

    MF

Configuration Windows XP