Sign in with
Your question

Problems getting a Post

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2010 3:01:54 PM

I decided to switch to an SSD, new HDD, new heat sink, new power supply and new case. I placed all components new and old into the case. Upon the first time I attempted to boot up I noticed a burning smell and the CPU fan was not running, and it didn't POST. I quickly turned off my computer and checked to make sure nothing was touching something that it shouldn't be. I surmised that I may have put on too much thermal paste. I was correct. I applied a new layer of thermal paste (after removing the last) and proceeded to turn on the power. This time there was no burning smell, no POST and still the CPU Fan didn't turn on. I looked online and thought maybe I had gotten a bad power supply. I switched it out with my old power supply. Once again I attempted to power on however now the Power supply makes a noise like it spins then stops spins then stops. The Phase LED on the motherboard blink to the same rhythm. Every time my case fans and my GPU fan have started fine. I am unsure if I may have hosed my CPU or Motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will continue to scour the forums for help in the mean time.

My system is:
Antec P183
Old PSU: Thermaltake Purepower 500W
New PSU: Antec CP-1000
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L
CPU: Intel Q9550 @ 2.83
Ram: 8GB G.SKill DDR2 1066
GPU: Msi n460GTX 768MB
SSD: G.Skill Pheonix Pro 120GB
Harddrive: Samsung f4 Spinpoint 2TB
Old heatsink: Thermaltake ISGC-100
New heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus

More about : problems post

a b ) Power supply
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 3:26:55 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

My initial thought is/was a 'short' - breadboard the MOBO on a piece of cardboard. Attempt a start.

Failure - remove the CM 212 and remove ALL thermal paste and reapply with a very thin layer with flat piece of plastic to make thin and level. Keep in mind any non-silicone thermal Paste {i.e. Silver} is CONDUCTIVE.

Failure - swap PSUs.

Failure - you hosed either the MOBO or CPU more than likely.

Let us know... Good Luck!
m
l
November 21, 2010 4:08:49 AM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

My initial thought is/was a 'short' - breadboard the MOBO on a piece of cardboard. Attempt a start.

Failure - remove the CM 212 and remove ALL thermal paste and reapply with a very thin layer with flat piece of plastic to make thin and level. Keep in mind any non-silicone thermal Paste {i.e. Silver} is CONDUCTIVE.

Failure - swap PSUs.

Failure - you hosed either the MOBO or CPU more than likely.

Let us know... Good Luck!

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I tried everything you suggested, but received the same results. Looks like I will be getting a new mobo and cpu since I am unable to tell which got messed up. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 10:59:03 AM

When it comes down to 'telling' CPU vs MOBO it is very difficult: Beep tones & behavior is about it for 'subjective.' Otherwise replace one of the two.

Typically a burning smell will result in a bad PSU, but if the MOBO itself produced the smell @ CPU then one or both could be toast; if the Thermal Paste cause the 'short' then 8/10 it's the MOBO only.
m
l
November 28, 2010 7:38:54 PM

jaquith said:
When it comes down to 'telling' CPU vs MOBO it is very difficult: Beep tones & behavior is about it for 'subjective.' Otherwise replace one of the two.

Typically a burning smell will result in a bad PSU, but if the MOBO itself produced the smell @ CPU then one or both could be toast; if the Thermal Paste cause the 'short' then 8/10 it's the MOBO only.

I didn't notice the burning smell after I removed the initial layer of thermal paste so I thought that that was the cause. I also did switch it back to the original PSU and still was unable to POST.

Is there a way for me to check the PSU before I attach it to new components? I am planning to wait for Sandy Bridge and would rather not fry any more parts if it is a bad PSU.
m
l
!