Sign in with
Your question

NEW BUILD!!! NOT BOOTING!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2010 3:50:54 PM

Hello, Hello,I am using:

Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB 3.0
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
4 GB Corsair Ripjaw Memory (2 2gb sticks)
EVGA GTX 460 Fermi Video Card
Corsair TX650 PSU

The problem is nothing is happening and I am getting really worried. I think I have all the components plugged in that are needed to get a first boot up (cpu,psu,mobo, i have the graphics card,memory). So I am almost positive everything is plugged into the MOBO correctly as of now...So when I turn on the case and the psu, a green light on the motherboard lights up and stays on (I am assuming this means power). And all the fans start right up including the cpu fan (I am using the HAF 932 and all its fans are spinning). But the problem is that the DRAM LED light next the mem ok button is on and doesnt go off. I dont know what this means and I have tried reseating the memory 100 different times in all the differnt possiblities, and it still turns on when the mobo turns on (EVEN WITHOUT MEMORY INSTALLED). So I am getting no video output to the monitor so I have not been able to enter BIOS or anything at all. PLEASE HELP!!!!! This is my first build and I am getting worried because I spent most of the money I had on a new computer and I cant get it to work. I am a noob at this stuff so please try and be simple. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

More about : build booting

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 4:01:31 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :) 

Which Video port is your monitor connected to now?

First, installed the RAM per the manual and verify the PSU has BOTH the 8-pin {yes uncover the second 4-pin} and the 24-pin connected. Next, pull the GTX 460 and use the on-board VGA/HDMI port. Turn-on.

Huh??- {4 GB Corsair Ripjaw Memory (2 2gb sticks)} - please post a LINK to you CORRECT RAM.
m
l
November 20, 2010 4:15:41 PM

Yes I am sorry I messed up the ram. I meant 4gb (2 2gb) of G.SKILL Ripjaw, which as I just read through the manual of my mobo isnt allowed. It says only 2 gb of this memory is allowed, but I have tried only having on it (does it matter that the manual says 2gb (2x1gb) bc I will be using just one 2gb stick then, And the video port I tried putting in both the motherboard and the graphics card and still nothing. And yes the 8 pin is connected (I uncovered the second) and the 24 pin one as wel. So I will next pull the GTX and see what happens. Thanks for the quick reply and I will get back to you with an update as soon as possible.
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 4:30:48 PM

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=eCWbkolMf0DOW0IV
"4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture
*AMD AM3 100 and 200 series CPU support up to DDR3 1066MHz
**Due to OS limitation, when installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.
***Refer to www.asus.com for the memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists)."

I still need the EXACT RAM Part-Numbers; Example - http://gskill.com/products.php?index=244

The reason is some Ripjaws will work and some will not support the AMD 890GX.
m
l
November 20, 2010 4:37:43 PM

Ok I will post that information in a minute but I just thought I should let u know that I just installed the case speaker so bc I realized it wasnt. And sure enough I got the error that no memory is detected? So is this enough not to turn the computer on? And I will post the memory in a minute.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 5:11:23 PM

You're in good shape the RAM is listed in the QVL list, though the Typo in that list shows it as 2X1GB.
G.SKILL - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222
M/B Chipset
Intel P55
AMD 890 Series

RAM Installation:
{CPU} | A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 |
Install in either A1 + B1 <or> A2 + B2 ; ONLY combinations for (2) and (2) for 1 stick.
1. Install A1 + B1
2. Install A2 + B2
3. Install A1
4. Install B1
5. Rarer -> Production oils: Clean the RAM contacts with Isopropyl alcohol; insert damp then remove; repeat 2~3 times. Allow to dry

IF you're still having a problem: 1. Short, 2. CPU pin issue {most common with P55}.

1. Short -> Breadboard: Remove everything and place the MOBO on cardboard {minimum configuration to 'boot'}
2. Remove the CPU and look very carefully for bent/misaligned pins.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 5:15:33 PM

^I was posting and w-a-i-t-i-n-g for the Manual do D/L.
m
l
November 20, 2010 5:20:28 PM

What is D/L? Sorry if thats like a common thingor whatever. But ok the gold plates on the memory, one of them for one of the sticks looks like it has been messed up, like it is silver (the gold has flaked off for one of the gold contacts). But I used to the other one and still nothing. So are you saying you might think this is a cpu problem, because when I first opened my cpu box there was a little black thread touching someof the pins, like it was tangled in them, so I took a thin piece of paper and just fished it out of the pins. Nothing to big I though. That couldnt be enough to ruin the cpu could it? And ok I guess I will take everything out, then just do the breadboard technique. I really dont know what is going on with the memory issue. Literally no matter how it is placed in the board it gives me the no memory detected issue, (but shouldnt I still be getting a signal on my monitor)?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 5:39:00 PM

D/L = Download.

Try the ONE stick that doesn't have -> "the gold has flaked off for one of the gold contacts"; it needs to b sent back it's bad and my assumption is both sticks suffer from some Mfg's defect.

ONE / GOOD RAM stick:
3. Install A1
4. Install B1

I would STOP and send the RAM back and exchange for Corsairs:
Corsair Tested - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 20, 2010 5:43:09 PM

Ok well thank you for all the help. I just want to make sure that the problem isnt something bigger such as the motherboard or the cpu or graphics card.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 5:45:33 PM

Don't know 100%, but it's clear that the RAM is BAD :( 
m
l
November 20, 2010 5:48:46 PM

Ok well that solves one problem.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 20, 2010 5:58:28 PM

After you get the new RAM post back or PM {Private Message} me.

Good Luck!
m
l
!