Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 830 128 GB vs Crucial M4 128GB

Last response: in Storage
April 16, 2012 10:43:59 PM

Hello everyone,

Which of these drives have better performance ( are in the same price in my shop) ? I say this for practical applications, benchmarks do not take into account insofar as they confirm something.

Which SSD do you recommend? I'm confused....really..
a b Ô Samsung
a c 256 G Storage
April 16, 2012 10:57:34 PM

Both ssd's are good choices. I normally recommend Samsung, Intel, and Crucial. Go for the best sale price you can find.

When it comes to practical real world applications you will not notice any difference in drive performance. You would have to be doing something very complicated for there to be a noticeable difference.
a b G Storage
April 17, 2012 3:03:28 AM

Since they are the same price, it's hard to choose. Both are great SSD's. If it was me, I would probably just flip a coin. IF I had to choose, Crucial because it's been around longer, which to me, means more stable.
Related resources
April 17, 2012 4:11:07 AM

Samsung is "supposed" to be more reliable... the 830 is the only enthusiast ssd certified in some enterprise class reliability thing...forgetting off the top of my head exactly what
a b Ô Samsung
a c 256 G Storage
April 17, 2012 6:39:16 PM

Here is my standard Samsung recommendation.

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

Scroll down to the brands you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.
April 18, 2012 8:09:08 AM

Wow ! Epic database, thx ! :) 
a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 10:30:19 AM

Do you mean you're using the drive(s) for an Epic (the medical software) database?
a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 12:22:33 PM

The 830 is the speedier of the two - I use them in laptops at work. If the machine you're using doesn't have SATAIII ports, you're only going to get half the read/write speed but it will still be a great drive.

I use the Intel 520 in my desktop and I have Samsung 830s in laptops for work - both are very fast and very reliable.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 351 G Storage
April 18, 2012 1:07:30 PM

Have Both,
i5-2500k - 128 gig Samsung 830 for OS + programs and an 120 gig Agility III for storage/work drive.
Samsung RF711 laptop - a pair of 128 gig Curcual M4s.

Performance wise, maybe a nickels worth of difference in real life day-to day work.
If nearly the same price, recommend the Samsung 830 as slightly higher realiability. If more than 10% cost difference - get the lower priced one.

@ "If the machine you're using doesn't have SATAIII ports, you're only going to get half the read/write speed but it will still be a great drive."
For an SSD used as a OS + Program drive, - Not true in real life, day-to-day usage, only in benchmarks and then ONLY in the least important matric for an OS + Program drive, Sequenial read/writes. Only a small performance gain for the more important 4 K random performance. Overall real life performance diff for an OS + Program time is more like 15->20 %. Must remember that ONLY the OS Load time is improved, program load times, and files that are on the SSD are affected. For OS and programs most of these files tend to be small files and SATA III does not saturate a sata II interface for the 4k random.

Infact the Agillity III performs NO better on sata III as opposed to being installed onSata II. This is a poor example, as I hate to use Agillity III in the same sentence as Sata III.
April 18, 2012 8:01:43 PM

Yeah, Samsung 830 is very nice SSD in perfomance.

Ok, I understand that Crucial is better for the system because from a better job with 4K files??
April 19, 2012 7:10:15 PM

Thx for answers !

I will buy Samsung :) 
!