Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Diamond/ATI TV Wonder 650 HD Dual Tuner PCI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 5:49:14 PM

I have the Diamond/ATI TV Wonder 650 HD Dual Tuner PCI card.
I bought it to hook up my vcr via coaxail and record vhs to pc(dvd).
It has the ATI Catalyst software.
The problem is that after channel scanning (which it detects the vcr as channel 3), it will only display the picture for about 2 seconds, then it turns to snow, kinda like a terribly poorly tuned analog tv station. I have tried multiple connection cables and s-video isn't going to work because the vcr's s-video connection is different than the card's connection (pin type).
Please help.
System info:
WinXP Home SP3
P4 2.53Ghz Asus P4S8X
1 GB DDR Ram
EVGA Nvidia Geforce 6800gt (agp8x 256mb ram)
cmedia ac97 audio
March 5, 2010 5:54:59 PM

OK this is a tough one but I might be able to offer some useful help haveing got two 550. Do you have the input block that came with the tuner? If so try it.
m
l
March 5, 2010 6:19:53 PM

I don't have the input block you have mentioned. This card only came with the software disk and the manual. I had never even heard of this but am seeing it listed in google searches now. Any idea how to get one separately ?
This really irks me about the vendor (who i probably can't mention by name here).. Their sales "expert" recommended this card to me for just the purpose I mentioned above... without telling me i'd need more hardware to do it lol
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 6:51:15 PM

After looking into the "input block", it appears that you are referring to connectors on the card. This card only has 3 connectors.
(1) analog connector (coaxail for the vcr)
(1) hd connector (coaxail)
(1) s-video connector (that has a different pin-type than my vcr)

Any other ideas ?
m
l
March 5, 2010 7:26:57 PM

gtojudge said:
After looking into the "input block", it appears that you are referring to connectors on the card. This card only has 3 connectors.
(1) analog connector (coaxail for the vcr)
(1) hd connector (coaxail)
(1) s-video connector (that has a different pin-type than my vcr)

Any other ideas ?

Are you using the stock software or DScaler?
m
l
March 5, 2010 7:36:29 PM

So far I have only used the Catalyst software. I've read poor reviews of it. I am planning on trying beyond tv and will also try the DScaler ... always liked open source :)  I'll repost after trying it.
m
l
March 5, 2010 10:41:38 PM

Problem solved. The DScaler driver works. It guess that means the catalyst driver/software sucks lol.
Thanks bundles nforce4max :) 
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:37:56 PM

gtojudge said:
Problem solved. The DScaler driver works. It guess that means the catalyst driver/software sucks lol.
Thanks bundles nforce4max :) 

Nice it worked and that is why I favor ATI tuners (audio).
m
l
!