Ssd working with hdd startup slow down

bpnbm

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I just finished a new build with a Intel i3 2100, ASRock H61M motherboard, 4 gb of ram and a Mushkin 60g Chronos X ssd. Win 7 Home prem install went fine and put in all the updates. I then took the sata hdd out of old computer and still booted up from the ssd, still np. Reformatted the hdd and wiped it clean. When I restarted the computer, I noticed that it wasn't booting as quickly as it did. Not super slow but no where near as quick. The hdd is only 250g. From my limited experience I believe the motherboard tries to scan all the drives. Am I correct in my assumption and is this is what is causing this extra 10-15 second slow down and is there any way to speed it up?

adampower

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Verrrry interesting. So, the claim is that win7 startup is faster with a bare ssd system than with an ssd/hdd system? Perhaps due to Win7 waiting for the hdd to spinup before reading from the ssd?

Maybe I will test this on my own system tonight but I really want to see if anyone weighs in with info.

No, you misunderstood. Win7 startup will not be faster; POST (Power-On Self-Test) will be faster. POST is the diagnostic screen you see before Windows loads.

bpnbm

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I'm not sure were I once read about that POST time. And from what I understood the lager the HDD the longer it will take.

When the comp originally started up the win 7 logo wouldn't even finish Now it finishes and takes a second longer. It seems like the BIOS screen takes longer as well.

I did take the HDD out of the boot order all together. Just left the SSD and cd drive.