Sign in with
Your question

Ssd working with hdd startup slow down

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2012 12:30:19 AM

I just finished a new build with a Intel i3 2100, ASRock H61M motherboard, 4 gb of ram and a Mushkin 60g Chronos X ssd. Win 7 Home prem install went fine and put in all the updates. I then took the sata hdd out of old computer and still booted up from the ssd, still np. Reformatted the hdd and wiped it clean. When I restarted the computer, I noticed that it wasn't booting as quickly as it did. Not super slow but no where near as quick. The hdd is only 250g. From my limited experience I believe the motherboard tries to scan all the drives. Am I correct in my assumption and is this is what is causing this extra 10-15 second slow down and is there any way to speed it up?
a b V Motherboard
a c 256 G Storage
April 17, 2012 6:43:52 PM

Immediately after you start your computer and before Windows starts go into the System BIOS and check the drive boot order. You should be able to choose the ssd as your boot drive. While you're at it check and make sure you are in AHCI mode.
a b G Storage
April 17, 2012 10:53:55 PM

Verrrry interesting. So, the claim is that win7 startup is faster with a bare ssd system than with an ssd/hdd system? Perhaps due to Win7 waiting for the hdd to spinup before reading from the ssd?

Maybe I will test this on my own system tonight but I really want to see if anyone weighs in with info.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a c 503 G Storage
April 17, 2012 11:41:54 PM

adampower said:
Verrrry interesting. So, the claim is that win7 startup is faster with a bare ssd system than with an ssd/hdd system.

No, you misunderstood. Win7 startup will not be faster; POST (Power-On Self-Test) will be faster. POST is the diagnostic screen you see before Windows loads.
a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 3:09:09 AM

Ahhh. After re-read that's exactly what the op said. Is this true? Spinup is necessary during POST in order for your BIOS to know who's who and what's what?
April 18, 2012 7:46:02 PM

I'm not sure were I once read about that POST time. And from what I understood the lager the HDD the longer it will take.

When the comp originally started up the win 7 logo wouldn't even finish Now it finishes and takes a second longer. It seems like the BIOS screen takes longer as well.

I did take the HDD out of the boot order all together. Just left the SSD and cd drive.
!