Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad power suply?? video card??

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2010 6:08:11 AM

hello

really i am very worried about my pc, while running pcmark vantage or running heaven benchmark my pc sometimes shut down even it does not finish the benchmark not blue screen not errors in windows really dont know.

my pc specs:

intel i7 920 2.67
asus p6t deluxe v2
ati XFX 4890 1gb
hard disk caviar black 500 gb
psu fortron everest 1010watt

when i put it in stress 50/100 times it restarts for no reason , i can play good video games only i have this issue running benchmark so please i need help, thanks.

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 9:40:08 AM

stabwisker said:
hello

really i am very worried about my pc, while running pcmark vantage or running heaven benchmark my pc sometimes shut down even it does not finish the benchmark not blue screen not errors in windows really dont know.

my pc specs:

intel i7 920 2.67
asus p6t deluxe v2
ati XFX 4890 1gb
hard disk caviar black 500 gb
psu fortron everest 1010watt

when i put it in stress 50/100 times it restarts for no reason , i can play good video games only i have this issue running benchmark so please i need help, thanks.

m
l
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 9:46:47 AM

Sorry about the previous message. Pressed submit too fast and it wont let me edit or remove the message. Back to the problem at hand.

I suspect it might be an overheating problem of your videocard although i don't completely rule out some kind of driver problem.
m
l
Related resources
a c 274 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 29, 2010 11:21:46 AM

Sounds like gpu is overheating you should really be careful when running certain benchmarks.
Are you using any temperature monitoring apps for your gpu.
I would assume you have at least CCC overdrive to give you an idea
Download GPU-Z to use as well.
Some of the settings are complicated and may not apply to your card in heaven.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 29, 2010 3:02:18 PM

try speedfan to monitor temps of your graphics card
m
l
May 30, 2010 4:12:40 AM

i have all those programs and of course i checked the temps, for not having problems with my video card i just put 65% in fans speed , the temps of my gpu never reach 65 ° celcius because of fan speed , but really i still have the same problem, and i dont know what to do....

need help.
m
l
May 30, 2010 4:13:51 AM

i didnt overclocked it , my card is working with defaults settings, i only just modify the fan speed so it can receive more air...
m
l
May 30, 2010 4:17:35 AM

Quote:
Sorry about the previous message. Pressed submit too fast and it wont let me edit or remove the message. Back to the problem at hand.

I suspect it might be an overheating problem of your videocard although i don't completely rule out some kind of driver problem.

is not an overheating problem i think, beucase i was checking the temps and those never reach 70 degrees and i put the fan at 65% to receive more air. i still the same problem.

when i finish the fisrt graphic test jane nash, when is going to start the other test my pc shut down and restart again.
m
l
May 30, 2010 4:30:08 AM

shovenose said:
try speedfan to monitor temps of your graphics card

i always do it , the temps never reach 70 degrees i set the graphis fan to 65% to prevent overheating.
m
l
May 30, 2010 9:29:03 AM

May I ask you to tell us what the cpu temp reaches as well as the gpu. Also what memory settings are including voltage. The video card utilizes some system memory and the failure under extreme stress may take you there. We'll guess your using the correct or newest video drivers (catalyst).
It seems to me 70 celcius is actually low for that card running a stess test, that number could be a problem for the processor though-the bios may be shutting it down.
m
l
May 30, 2010 11:46:25 PM

roonj said:
May I ask you to tell us what the cpu temp reaches as well as the gpu. Also what memory settings are including voltage. The video card utilizes some system memory and the failure under extreme stress may take you there. We'll guess your using the correct or newest video drivers (catalyst).
It seems to me 70 celcius is actually low for that card running a stess test, that number could be a problem for the processor though-the bios may be shutting it down.

The temps of cpu and gpu are good, there are not abnormal temps , i am using the last ati drivers 10.5 catalyst, when i put in totally stress i see that the 12v voltage drops to 11.88 is it good?
m
l
May 31, 2010 2:36:13 AM

Try running Memtes first. It's a bootable ISO you burn to a CD and boot off of. List your idle CPU and GPU temps then list your load CPU and GPU temps. How does it lock up/freeze? Do you get a BSoD? If so, what is the error code(s)? There are many variables and without the proper info, we cannot properly diagnose the problem.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 12:18:13 PM

For the hardware that you got, consider getting a better brand PSU such as seasonic, antec, corsair, etc. Your hardware list is pretty impressive with the exception of the PSU.

Fortron Everest is the PSU that fail benchmark test. I could not find the benchmark for the 1010W but the 700W and 900W review from Johnnyguru is awful. These PSU have major issues including high ripple beyond PC Power supply specs. These things can create un-explained PC crashes.

The benchmark unit have burned pcbs on it.

Below are link to Everest PSU reviews.

Outright Failed Product:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Ripple on 900W PSU

May 31, 2010 5:58:29 PM

i agree with the guy above u should go with a better psu and see if you still have the same problems
m
l
June 2, 2010 7:07:46 AM

Best answer selected by stabwisker.
m
l
June 2, 2010 7:10:19 AM

leon2006 said:
For the hardware that you got, consider getting a better brand PSU such as seasonic, antec, corsair, etc. Your hardware list is pretty impressive with the exception of the PSU.

Fortron Everest is the PSU that fail benchmark test. I could not find the benchmark for the 1010W but the 700W and 900W review from Johnnyguru is awful. These PSU have major issues including high ripple beyond PC Power supply specs. These things can create un-explained PC crashes.

The benchmark unit have burned pcbs on it.

Below are link to Everest PSU reviews.

Outright Failed Product:

Ripple on 900W PSU

you were right, thanks alot also i talked to a friend and he used his tester to check the 12V rail , the maximun Current is awfull just onle 12 amperes, also has a lot of fluctuation.
m
l
!