Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 8:11:16 PM

Nvidia released a patch either yesterday or the day before, 196.75, a certified patch. I went to thier website today and saw they took it off the website because of an alert, users were reporting fan speed issues with it! It didn't specify what kind of issues exactly so I was wondering i might as well ask, Has anyone downloaded this patch yet and expirienced any problems? If you post, weather you have or haven't had any issues, can you please post which Operating System and which GPU you are running? I have had this for about 2 days maybe if i remember correctly and haven't had a problem with it at all, my software is reporting perfectly fine fan speeds and temperatures. I think i'll stick with this patch and won't bother returning, if it hasn't caused problems for this long i think i'll be fine, what do you think? I am running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. Thank you :) 

-Blackhawk!

More about : 196

March 5, 2010 10:12:15 PM

killing cards, thousands of nvidia buyers are pissed off. it's a disaster, much worse than ati's little grey screen problem.

do what nvidia says and use earlier drivers until this is fixed properly!
March 5, 2010 10:41:01 PM

Just to be safe I would role back your drivers as having the possibility of your card dieing would bring to much hassle for the 5ish minutes it takes to install new drivers.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 10:44:36 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvidia-196.75-drivers-...

According to incgamers, several people have had their PC or video cards croak after installing the Nvidia 196.75 drivers. StarCraft II Beta players were the first to notice a problem and following complaints that it was something to do with the latest patch from Blizzard, Blizzard tech support explained that the problem is Nvidia's latest driver and Starcraft II Beta is not the only application affected
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 10:49:17 PM

I'm running W7 64, Vista 64, vista32 and XP 32 on this driver and have had no problems which seems to be upsetting some people.
March 5, 2010 10:52:59 PM

Mousemonkey said:
I'm running W7 64, Vista 64, vista32 and XP 32 on this driver and have had no problems which seems to be upsetting some people.

So like all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems with their ati cards gsod'ing you mean?

you never shy'd away from pointing out the gsod, why should we be any different this time with nVidia?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 10:58:38 PM

nfail said:
So like all the hundreds of thousands of people who have no problems with their ati cards gsod'ing you mean?

you never shy'd away from pointing out the gsod, why should we be any different this time with nVidia?

You haven't been though, so why try to imply as such :heink:  . A user name of nFail? c'mon who are you trying to kid?
March 5, 2010 10:58:43 PM

Mousemonkey, same, M7 x64 with this driver is absolutly fine. I have several HW monitoring software running to keep an eye on temps, if i see something go wrong i'll switch. But for right now, my 8800GTS 640MB is running at 43 Degrees Celcius with fan running at 60% speed.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 11:03:43 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Mousemonkey, same, M7 x64 with this driver is absolutly fine. I have several HW monitoring software running to keep an eye on temps, if i see something go wrong i'll switch. But for right now, my 8800GTS 640MB is running at 43 Degrees Celcius with fan running at 60% speed.

I posted these over in the comments section a short while ago :-

as you can see, no overheating going on in my camp. :sol: 
March 5, 2010 11:05:25 PM

Mhm, thanks, but I got a bit scared reading some articles so i am going back to the last Beta released...just incase :)  I got convinced. As soon as they fix it i am going back.
March 5, 2010 11:06:16 PM

I dont get it, how is this any different to the 99% of people who had no problems with their ati cards?

nobody is saying everybody is going to have problems with this driver, but at least be on the safe side and dont risk something which nVidia themselves have removed from their website. just because it hasn't failed yet doesnt mean it wont fail at all!
March 5, 2010 11:07:22 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Mhm, thanks, but I got a bit scared reading some articles so i am going back to the last Beta released...just incase :)  I got convinced. As soon as they fix it i am going back.

good decision blackhawk. why risk your card on drivers nVidia has pulled? Mousemonkey is a fanatic and shouldnt be allowed to mod a forum like this, his comments could cost thousands of people their graphics cards.

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 11:14:33 PM

An important thing to note is what cooling your card has and what card it is. Obviously, if this was a driver that instantly caused all NVidia cards to blow up, it never would have gotten through QC. Thus, it is safe to assume (somewhat like the infamous GSOD) that it is limited to a relatively small number of cards/configs. While it is an embarrassment and a serious pain to those who lose cards, it certainly isn't the end of the world. A nice move by NVidia would be to fix the cards broken by this driver (even if out of warranty) though who knows if they'll do that.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 5, 2010 11:14:49 PM

nfail said:
I dont get it, how is this any different to the 99% of people who had no problems with their ati cards?

nobody is saying everybody is going to have problems with this driver, but at least be on the safe side and dont risk something which nVidia themselves have removed from their website. just because it hasn't failed yet doesnt mean it wont fail at all!

Like I said before, people can take and or listen to any advice they wish to but I am not having any problems with this driver so I shall continue to use it. Now if you want to misconstrue the term I to mean you or everyone then that's a problem with you and your reading skills not my writing.
March 6, 2010 1:45:16 AM

Nfail, don't get me wrong, i don't really want to get into the middle of anything, but mousemonkey is 100% right, he never in any of his posts gave anything about advice or his opinons, he simply and clearly pointed out that he has no problems with the driver and as i asked in my opening post, to state which OS you are running. So i really don't see why you are attacking him.?

-And thanks for the all the comments, may have saved my 8800GTS 640MB...might not sound like much but it excels at my needs so HAH.
March 6, 2010 3:13:51 AM

My 9800GT died as a result of the 196.75 drivers. I installed them, started playing STO and then smelled something burning and my 9800GT was dead! What is Nvidia going to do about this?
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 3:23:27 AM

Simply shows, they BOTH have driver issues. [:grahamlv:3]

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :hello: 
March 6, 2010 3:37:04 AM

Just another reason to manually control your fan speed! >< Hope everyone who lost a card can RMA!
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 4:54:12 AM

landerx74 said:
What is Nvidia going to do about this?

I don't know, have you asked them?
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 10:39:09 AM

Unfortunately, many have already said they can't RMA.
March 6, 2010 10:52:01 AM

Mousemonkey. The problem comes when you write things like this

Quote:
Like I said before I'm using these drivers and they are working fine so there is no problem.

You inferred several times that your experiences were absolute and the be all and end all so you can't blame him for taking his stance.
March 6, 2010 1:54:35 PM

landerx74 said:
My 9800GT died as a result of the 196.75 drivers. I installed them, started playing STO and then smelled something burning and my 9800GT was dead! What is Nvidia going to do about this?

REALLY? I am sorry about that, which OS are you running though?
-Also, how exactly does the card burn out? Does the driver just slow down the fan rpm or turn it off completely?
-Either way, i have a dual monitor setup so while i play a game or do a GPU intensive task, i have several HW monitors open on my other monitor and if anything gets above threshold or normal then i can immediatly take action. Thanks for the responses BTW.
March 6, 2010 2:09:45 PM

What i dont understand is how can this happen anyway? dont nVidia cards have an automatic throttle down to prevent this kind of thing happening?
March 6, 2010 3:07:53 PM

- Are the driver's lowering fan speed? If so, you would think that people that wern't OCing thier cards would be fine. This also adds Insult to injury, as people that OCd thier cards can't RMA!!!!
March 6, 2010 5:00:39 PM

Mhm, incase of happenings like this, i need to get a software that will run in the background constantly and immediatly alert me upon temperatures going above a set threshold and nothing happens in lets say 5minutes then it turns off the system automatically incase i am not at the PC and gives me a note once i turn it back on of what happened ;) . Not sure if there is a software like this but it would be nice.
a c 168 Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 5:05:31 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Mhm, incase of happenings like this, i need to get a software that will run in the background constantly and immediatly alert me upon temperatures going above a set threshold and nothing happens in lets say 5minutes then it turns off the system automatically incase i am not at the PC and gives me a note once i turn it back on of what happened ;) . Not sure if there is a software like this but it would be nice.

Have you tried having a play with Rivatuner? It allows for fan control via presets and is able to display temps and fps whilst gaming.
March 6, 2010 5:22:35 PM

I have rivatuner, but i just use it to monitor my GPU carefully and do some fan control with it. I also had some fan profiles to jack the fan up to 80% if temps went over 70C. I need explore it more.
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2010 5:54:47 PM

EXT64 said:
Unfortunately, many have already said they can't RMA.

Yeah if you think about the situation, it affects primarily older cards/lines except the GTS250. And often they will be outside of their one year warranty. So the advantage of BFG, eVGA, XFX long warranties comes through.

However who becomes responsible for the cause of the RMA? Technically the AIBs & OEMs would have to cover for something that would be the IHV's fault.

I doubt it's wide-spread since it was caught very quickly, but it could be cause for those AIBs to send nV the bill for some of their potential RMAs.
March 9, 2010 11:46:46 PM

Best answer selected by blackhawk1928.
!