Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good setup for my first build?

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2010 6:15:52 AM

I will be buying the parts within the week. It will be used for light gaming, surfing the internet, and watching movies/shows. I have a mouse, monitor, and keyboard so everything else is needed.

This is what I came up with.

If some of the stuff there is lacking, I have this second option. But I'm leaning towards the first one.

More about : good setup build

March 20, 2010 6:37:33 AM

I hope you meant "VERY VERY light gaming" ...

You need 4GB RAM 2x2GB

Don't go to sleep with that PSU running !

Get a faster chip or get a cooler and overclock ... I would do the former.

Looks good for surfing and office work ... HTPC?? Check your HDCP, etc.

Gaming = POOR ... Office = GOOD ... HTPC = OK ... SURF = GOOD ... EDIT DV = NO

= Alvin =
m
l
March 20, 2010 6:50:00 AM

Do I really 'need' 4gigs of RAM? I mean the computer I'm on right now has a shitty 512mb and the games that I play are a bit choppy, but still playable by all means. I would think that 2GB would be fine.

Also, please be more specific. What is wrong with the PSU and CPU?
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2010 7:55:21 AM

reduced rez gaming would still require 5750 and 3.2GHz+

Would prolly be cheaper to buy a faster chip and go w/stock cooler than to buy a cooler and overclock. ... 4GB of fast CAS7 RipJaws are $114 USD.

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU "NEED" for a pleasurable gaming experience ... Only YOU do ! I am just going with the mainstream "line" (what most gamers report).

There is a performance level, below which, you are just throwing your money away.

Just my opinion.

= Alvin =

m
l
March 20, 2010 8:03:36 AM

Stick with the first build but with some changes.

PSU: Low quality junk. The Corsair 400cx is much better made, more efficient, has a better warranty and puts out more power on the 12v rail, which is where you need it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: You could probably get away with 2 gigs for the moment but getting a single 2gb chip like this is more cost effective and provides an easier upgrade path. The single channel performance hit is negligible.

GPU: Fine for 1024x768/1280x1024 but if your monitor has a higher res than that, see if you can spend an extra $15 on this 4850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU: Upgrading to the x3 425/435 is well worth the extra $11-$16 but if can't stretch your budget, the 240 will have to do.

Case: Once you add shipping to the Rosewill it's about the same price as the slightly nicer CM Elite 335 after rebate. No big deal either way.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you need to pinch pennies, Win7 is a little cheaper from here and has a additional $10 MIR:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
m
l
March 20, 2010 8:04:39 AM

PSU ... ANY $35 PSU ... are you trying to start a fire ?

Search on "(80 PLUS)" rated ... ~450W~ (+/- ~50W)

80% efficient certified "(80 PLUS)" PSUs tend to be of better quality.

Expect to pay ~$54~$79 ... Below $40, it is very difficult to produce a safe, dependable and efficient PSU.

Someone else may tell you different ... never mind efficiency and reliability ... SAFETY is a concern with the cheapest PSUs.

= JMO =
m
l
March 20, 2010 8:13:28 AM

If you can get the CORSAIR ... definately do that !!! Sleep tight !

I STRONGLY disagree on the RAM advice ....
If you are happy with 2GB then YES DO get a 2x1GB Dual channel kit ... The difference is noticable between dual and single ch modes ...
... ALSO ... Dula channel DDR3 MUST ALL BE of the same timing and must come in MATCHED PAIRS installed in staggered slots.

You may not be able to match that RAM later! That is why I am saying ... Just get 2x2GB NOW, and be DONE with it. You will have difficulty matching the upgrade later !

I'll go with the GPU Advice ... stretch for the best GPU that you can ! (though).

= Alvin =
m
l
March 20, 2010 8:29:17 AM

Alvin Smith said:
If you can get the CORSAIR ... definately do that !!! Sleep tight !

I STRONGLY disagree on the RAM advice ....
If you are happy with 2GB then YES DO get a 2x1GB Dual channel kit ... The difference is noticable between dual and single ch modes ...
... ALSO ... Dula channel DDR3 MUST ALL BE of the same timing and must come in MATCHED PAIRS installed in staggered slots.

You may not be able to match that RAM later! That is why I am saying ... Just get 2x2GB NOW, and be DONE with it. You will have difficulty matching the upgrade later !

I'll go with the GPU Advice ... stretch for the best GPU that you can ! (though).

= Alvin =

In synthetic benchmarks, maybe. In real world apps, not really...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING...

If he's got the money to get 4gb now, then he should, but it doesn't sound like he does, and RAM is the easiest thing to upgrade.
m
l
March 20, 2010 8:54:25 AM

Whatever ... I would recommend a matched pair. (staggered slots)

I have "fixed" systems that dropped out of Dual Ch. .. User complaining of "DRAG".

= Al =
m
l
!