Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Contents of Drives

Last response: in Storage
April 17, 2012 2:04:21 AM

Right. Before any wise guys say "use Windows Explorer" here's the skinny. I got the wires crossed and Drive 0 is not actually the C drive. Drive 1 is also not the F drive. So, how can one get the dope on the contents of the various drives by BIOS / Drive Management number? I want to make sure I put a new partition on the right drive for a Win XP Pro or Win 7 / 32 boot option since Win 7 / 64 won't play nice with my scanner or printer.

More about : contents drives

a c 265 G Storage
April 17, 2012 3:04:36 AM

C drive is the OS drive! Which ever connector it is on! Figure out what drive you want the OS on and do a partition on it! Unless you have multiple drives the same size it can not be that hard to figure it out!
m
l

Best solution

a c 304 G Storage
April 17, 2012 12:46:53 PM

If you go into Disk Manager (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management), the bottom panel shows a picture of each drive and what partitions are on it.

Windows doesn't really care which of the various SATA ports a drive is on. Drive letter assignment by disk number is an old DOS thing.
Related resources
April 17, 2012 9:51:29 PM

Duh! I opened the Disk Management window and the clicked on properties. VOILA! The info I needed. So simple even a Linux geek could figure it out. Thanks.
m
l
April 27, 2012 6:08:02 PM

Best answer selected by kep55.
m
l
!