Nov 30, 2009
:fou:
i7 930
gigabyte x58 ud3r bios 1
WD 500 GB caviar black
radeon 5850
2x kingston hyperX 2gb cl7

Weird
I built this new system two weeks ago. It worked like a dream. No problems. And was fine until I returned from a three day business trip yesterday and suddenly got a black screen on start up.

From what I understand, this would seem to be the symptom of the MOBO bios not recognising the i7 930. Soeting which Gigabyte warned about when I built the system but which is very strange because for the past two weeks there hasn't been a problem.

The gigabyte website said that the i7 930 needs bios 4. But after I built the system and it worked I just shrugged, figured that everything was fine and I'd flash the BIOS. I haven't gotten round to flashing the BIOS up to version 4. (I was going to do it this weekend :fou: )

Any ideas what could be the problem? Especially as the bios recognised the processor for two weeks and I've made NO changes to it. Why would it suddenly start acting up now? at no point have i tried to change the bios settings or overclock the machine.

Is there another reason for this problem?

At start up, all the fans that are connected to the mobo start to run. The dvd player green light switches on and that's it. No signal to the monitor. The hard drive doesn't make a peep.

hope someone can giev me some advice.
If it is a bios problem. How do I go about getting it flashed now? Now that the machine doesn't even enter start up bios mode?

thanks in advance

greasy dave

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
OK, please ignore this post. A friend reccomended reseting the CMOS and now everything works fine. HAve updated the BIOS using q flash. and it seems that it's ok