Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Can it be done?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2010 11:21:33 PM

Guys,

I just thought on something but I wanted to run by you to know if this is possible.

I have 2 GTX 275 running in SLI right now, on two monitors (one 24 and another 22").

I know I can run the two cards at full power on one monitor per time (unless game provides multiscreen), but I was wondering if I disable SLI and hook up one monitor in each card I would be able to run two games on two screens, simultaneously, using 100% of each card for each monitor?

Have you ever seen/heard of something like this? Can it be done?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

More about : question

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:26:05 PM

You'd have to minimize Game_A to get to Game_B, which defeats the point. Running any program full-screen disables the dual-monitor effect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:30:32 PM

Use Alt+Enter to enable the windowed mode of your games which will allow you to play both at the same time. Like shadow says you have to Alt+Tab out of one full screen game to use the other so windowed mode is your only option. I do this with my two accounts of EVE Online and dual screens, though I only have one graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 11:32:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

But then again, based on what you've said, what if I am running two games on windowed mode... For instance, would it be possible to have a session of L4D one and another of L4D2 simultaneously?
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:34:45 PM

paperfox said:
Use Alt+Enter to enable the windowed mode of your games which will allow you to play both at the same time. Like shadow says you have to Alt+Tab out of one full screen game to use the other so windowed mode is your only option. I do this with my two accounts of EVE Online and dual screens, though I only have one graphics card.

Good lord! Your posting came in faster than I was typing... :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:35:27 PM

That would be impossible to manage both at once...I have a hard enough time focusing on one game, lol.

They would have to be alt+tabbed out to get the cursor outside of the game. This could be easily achieved by just running SLI and using both monitors.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:36:25 PM

vmardegan said:
Good lord! Your posting came in faster than I was typing... :pt1cable: 

Welcome to Tom's Hard-Ware. The nerds of graphics are pleased to be at your service.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:41:08 PM

Ya, the fact that your running a Fist Person Shooter will prevent you from using (Edit: two screens and games with) windowed mode, If you where playing an RTS (C&C, Age of Empires) or MMO (WoW, EvE) you would be able to do windowed mode. It has to do with your mouse controlling where you shoot/look with the FPS where as with the RTS you can move your mouse where ever you want.
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:43:30 PM

Thanks again to you guys...

I maybe just try it out... I'm not planning to play two games at once (I still have only one brain...), but I'm trying to find some creative ways to use my hardware.

My dilemma now is the following. I know some GTX 480 should come in the future and, if they perform really nice, I probably will get one since I live in the US but I'm going back to my homeland (Brazil) and it will a lot more expensive there to get my hands in one.

However, I do have two GTXs 275 and one 8800GT running in my rig right now (on two screens, one 24" Dell and another 22" 3D Vision Viewsonic).

Assuming that I would get the GTX 480, I thought about two options:

1 - Ditch the 8800GT and one GTX 275, hook up the 480 for graphics and keep one 275 for Physx

2 - Keep the 8800GT for Physx, one GTX 275 for the 24" Dell and the 480 for the 3D Vision set, ditching only one GTX 275.

That's why I came with the question that all of you gladly and promptly responded...

Now I just have to wait and see if the 480 is good or not to make my choices!

Thanks again to you all!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:47:47 PM

vmardegam, I think you have a 3rd option: keep your 8800 or 275 as a phisx card AND run a second monitor off of it while also getting a new 480 to run your first monitor.
m
l
March 5, 2010 11:51:49 PM

paperfox said:
vmardegam, I think you have a 3rd option: keep your 8800 or 275 as a phisx card AND run a second monitor off of it while also getting a new 480 to run your first monitor.

I did not think about that as well! Thanks for bringing it up!

That would, certainly, help on the electricity bill for the month (although I think I would be able to run a GTX 480, one 275 and the 8800GT all at the "same" time with one Corsair HX1000...)

Nobody needs to waste money, and energy, and CO2, etc....
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2010 11:58:32 PM

Alternatively, you could sell the GTX275's for $240 each, get an MSI FROZR II HD5870, and a third monitor. Then game on all three monitors at the same time. Use the 8800 as a physX card.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2010 1:08:47 AM

Most FPS's allow windowed mode.
Crysis, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc. However the cursor & keyboard is still locked in them (that happens with every game).

Double alternatively, you could sell the GTX275's for $240 each, spend the $480 on a fancy diner + presents for the significant other & have it be 3D, surround, ultra-high quality, 1024xSSAA, and 576 megapixels.
March 6, 2010 2:23:29 AM

sabot00 said:
Most FPS's allow windowed mode.
Crysis, Far Cry 2, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, etc. However the cursor & keyboard is still locked in them (that happens with every game).

Double alternatively, you could sell the GTX275's for $240 each, spend the $480 on a fancy diner + presents for the significant other & have it be 3D, surround, ultra-high quality, 1024xSSAA, and 576 megapixels.

That's an offer hard to beat, I must say! Ms VMardegan truly deserves a $500 dinner with all the bells and whistles... :D 

I think the next step will be to know if GTX480 truly delivers... If that's the case (and if I can find a buyer for a GTX275 + 8800GT) then I will have something to play with from evening all the way to 4:00am.... The ratio is still to be defined, but certainly will be enough to keep myself busy all the time! :D 

Thanks again for all the help and thoughts!
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2010 2:31:39 AM

Remember though, the GTX480 is going to be expensive.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2010 2:35:25 AM

I'm betting from the leaked info that it's gunning anywhere from the 5870 to 5970.
Either is VERY expensive.
m
l
March 12, 2010 11:17:45 PM

Best answer selected by vmardegan.
m
l
!