Sign in with
Your question

Should I swap identical CPUs for chance of better OC? i7-3930K

Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2013 10:04:44 PM

I bought two i7-3930K CPUs back in Xmas for barely $400, and I had intended to resell the second CPU for a small profit. The CPU I put into my new build, however, can only stabily OC to 4.5GHz with 1.34v. This is a great performance speed and I can handle 4K and 5K video/graphics footage reasonably well. I do, however, still have that need for speed. I've heard of 3930Ks hitting 4.7 to 4.8GHz under 1.4v, and I am wondering what the chances are that my second 3930k will be a better performer? Does anyone have some hard facts on ratios of OC ability per CPU? Would it be worth the time and slight risk of damage to swap my CPUs and try for a better OC?
March 20, 2013 4:54:46 PM

What are the temperatures on your current CPU at this stable OC's? Maybe you are reaching a point where you will need a better cooling system to achieve stability, no matter what CPU you fit into your system...

Also, you are talking to get 200Mhz more? I don't think it worth the effort (unless you've already give up on selling the brand new unused CPU).

If in your situation, I will sell the second CPU and buy some water cooling components, or a high end air cooler, and try to push my 1st CPU.
m
l
March 20, 2013 5:32:23 PM

Ballantin said:
What are the temperatures on your current CPU at this stable OC's? Maybe you are reaching a point where you will need a better cooling system to achieve stability, no matter what CPU you fit into your system...

Also, you are talking to get 200Mhz more? I don't think it worth the effort (unless you've already give up on selling the brand new unused CPU).

If in your situation, I will sell the second CPU and buy some water cooling components, or a high end air cooler, and try to push my 1st CPU.

The CPU never breaks 68C under prime at the current OC. Temp is definitely not the issue, but to run a higher oc I need to use voltages that are way beyond the accepted safe zone for this CPU. I'm thinking I'll just sell and live with my modestly acceptable 4.4ghz. It isn't what I expected when I bought the CPU, but it isn't terrible and I guess it isn't worth the hassle of switching processors.
m
l
May 11, 2013 2:09:32 PM

c47man said:
I bought two i7-3930K CPUs back in Xmas for barely $400, and I had intended to resell the second CPU for a small profit. The CPU I put into my new build, however, can only stabily OC to 4.5GHz with 1.34v. This is a great performance speed and I can handle 4K and 5K video/graphics footage reasonably well. I do, however, still have that need for speed. I've heard of 3930Ks hitting 4.7 to 4.8GHz under 1.4v, and I am wondering what the chances are that my second 3930k will be a better performer? Does anyone have some hard facts on ratios of OC ability per CPU? Would it be worth the time and slight risk of damage to swap my CPUs and try for a better OC?

just 1 Q, why did u bought 2 cpus?

if they both for $400 then just forget this stupid Q.
m
l
June 22, 2013 8:16:13 PM

Really the best thing u could do is upgrade ur ram and hdd to an ssd. I mean u can get a faster pair of ram (either 1866 0r 2133mhz) or u can put ur operating system on an adata ssd that reads from 500-530mb a second which would work great because it works like an intel ssd that is using intel fast response techknowledgy. This ssd is great with 64gb because there is less shit to read, the best thing is that the ssd would last for 5+ years guarranted. Although this is not overclocking ur cpu it still will boost ur system speed with incredible performance.
m
l
!