I5 deleting and transfering files slowly

jabo

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
i just built a new computer with an i5-750 processor and everything is working fine except when i try to transfer or delete large sized files, it is really slow.
It will delete the first quarter just fine(according to the green bar) and then it will just stop and slowly do the rest.
sometimes, especially when transferring files from an external harddrive to my computer, it will just sit there without any progress.

im not sure if this has to do with the cpu but i didnt know where to ask. i also have 4gb of ram.
any help is appreciated! thanks

edit: it just took me like 10 minutes to put 105mb into the recycling bin.

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Did your system show "Windows Delayed Write Failed"?
This always happen to my 500gb seagate external hardrive due to 1 USB port attached only, sorta not enough voltage I guess, problem solved after I attach the external drive connector to 2 USB port to get more voltage. Well that's the long long ago problem when I'm using P4.

After switch to i5-750 wif 610w PSU I can handle the external drive with 1 port only. :)

jabo

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
nope no errors
im transferring a 230mb file from my external and its stuck at about a quarter done again.
"Time remaining: Calculating..."
and i cant even cancel or else my explorer will disappear and wont turn back on.