Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Heat
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 27, 2013 11:11:18 PM

if i have all my fans as intakes to create positive air pressure can i remove the fans on my heat sink, or would that just fry my cpu?

More about : cooling positive air pressure question

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2013 11:26:13 PM

No thats crazy... why would you do that? Your cpu will most likely overheat. Also its not a good idea to have all intakes. If fans are only blowing in, where does all this air go? It stays inside the case until it can find its way out through the crevices of the case. It is a very inefficient setup. I suggest you balance the fans so intake is about the same or a little more than exhaust. (Intake in front and bottom, exhaust in back and top)
January 27, 2013 11:31:07 PM

ah, i was just thinking if i get a case with a perforated side panel it would suck the heat from the cooler. i just want to have a passive cooling system for the cpu because the only fans it will take are 92mm's and they are loud, the cooler itself is great though.
Related resources
January 27, 2013 11:35:32 PM

I can photoshop you a setup if you tell me the case you are going to buy :) 
January 27, 2013 11:40:33 PM

Bitfenix prodigy, and im being serious. :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 27, 2013 11:45:17 PM

Well if its a low powered cpu that doesnt generate a lot of heat. It might work. I thought you were talking about a more traditional build.
January 27, 2013 11:48:08 PM

well thats where the trouble of the situation comes. i have a 17-3077k and a blower design gtx 680. i would either be using low power deltas or air penetration. call me a idiot if you want, but i just love small form factor gaming builds!
a c 111 à CPUs
a c 249 K Overclocking
January 28, 2013 10:16:15 AM

slendermanFTW said:
if i have all my fans as intakes to create positive air pressure can i remove the fans on my heat sink, or would that just fry my cpu?

You seem to be confused on what positive case pressure actually is, it is simply more air in than out, you need at least one or two of your case fans exhausting the heat or you're creating a stored heat zone inside your case.

As far as removing your fans from your CPUs heat sink, a negative case pressure works best for that, if the heat sink can even be run in passive mode.

Setting up an internal case airflow path to go over the heat sink cooling fins would be the way to go.

This link may help you in your understanding.

January 28, 2013 10:35:33 AM

slendermanFTW said:

The only way you could run a heat sink by itself without the fan on your CPU would be if the heat sink alone without the fan, by design was capable of dissipating the heat that your CPU puts out. To my knowledge only heat sinks like the Tuniq Tower 120 and the Noctua NH-D14 that utilize heat pipes to many metal fins are capable of doing such a feat (Hyper 212 Evo might be able to do it without a fan but you'd likely have to under clock your CPU).

Long story short, it's a bad idea and shouldn't be attempted unless you really know what you're doing.
!