New build will not turn on

wvumazda

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
This is my very first computer build and I suppose I am learning one of the great aspects that comes with building your own computer, troubleshooting! I looked through the checklist that is provided on this forum, and none of those solutions worked. Also I couldn't find any other threads that duplicated my exact problem, so that is why I am posting.

Ok, so when I first got the computer put together, it did boot up and I began to install Windows 7. Well Windows 7 locked up during installation, so I turned it off and when I turned it back on, the system just flashes and it has been doing it ever since. And by flashing I mean the fans and the LEDs on the front panel as well as on the motherboard turn on for a fraction of a second and then it dies. It will continually repeat this until I turn the power supply off.

I tried taking everything out and putting everything back in in case something had come loose, but it still does it. Since it worked before, I am inclined to think it is the PSU because I know those things can just go out at any moment, generally right when they turn on.

My specs:

Intel Core i5 - 750
GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 motherboard
Kingston 4GB (2 X 2GB) 1066 mhz memory
XFX ATI Radeon HD4890 Video Card
Sunbeam PSU-ECO750-US-BL 750W Power Supply
Seagate 500 GB Hard Drive

Any suggestions on how to fix my computer will be greatly appreciated.

wvumazda

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Well, I did some more troubleshooting. I took the PSU and hooked it up to my old computer to test it. it worked fine. Now yes it is an old Pentium 4 Dell computer with a Sapphire HD 3850 video card in it, but I would think 750W power supply would be sifficient for the build I am trying to do. So it looks like the power supply is ok. I also went ahead and breadboarded it, and the problem still exists where everything just flashes and this was with just the CPU and RAM plugged into the motherboard.

So my question is do you think it's just a faulty motherboard? I just find it odd that it worked before during the first startup then it's dead. Maybe just infant mortality. Do you think it is the motherboard, or maybe the CPU, or could it just be something simple that I am overlooking? Thanks in advance for the help.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Couple of things is your ram DDR2 or DDR3? because DDR3 is only compatible with your P55. But if it is DDR3 how come you didnt get the faster ones like the 1333 mhz or 1600 mhz they have more bang for the buck and seem to be cheaper on Newegg.

reset your CMOS as per above recommendation.

Also do you have a case speaker hooked up? it would be helpful to know if the mobo is beeping and what the beep codes are. Check to see if there is any burnt marks or bulging capacitors on your mobo. Also inspect your cpu and cpu socket make sure there are no bent pins on the mobo.

wvumazda

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
JackNaylorPE, I did what you said, took out the battery for 10 minutes, put it back in and it still does the same thing, only flashes.

1ytm, yes it is DDR3, and I just chose 1066 mhz because I don't plan on overclocking and I heard that there wasn't much performance difference between 1066 and 1333 if you were not overclocking. Also, I checked my case, its an Antec 300, and I could not find a speaker wire coming from the front panel. I only see the power switch, reset switch, Power LED, and the HDD LED. I looked for any burn marks on the motherboard, I do not see any and looked for any bent pins around the CPU and don't see any either. Only thing I did notice was some residue on the contact between the CPU and CPU fan. I was told that Intel put some stock thermal grease or compound on it's CPUs and that it would be fine as long as you didn't overclock it. Also, the instruction manual from Intel to install the CPU did not mention thermal grease at all.

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
It would be helpful if you tried every step in the checklist and reported back your findings at each step. Of particular interest will be step 16 - which 1tym already asked for more information about. If your case didn't come with a speaker you'll have to order one. See step 16. The beep codes can be crucial to diagnosing the source of the problem. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-posting-boot-video-problems

Another good approach to trouble shooting is to breadboard your system: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

EDIT: Also, please provide a link to your RAM.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Yah the Antec 300 doesnt have a case speaker too bad wish they would spend a few pennies and have one for people.

Thermal grease/compound is pre-applied to stock Intel heatsinks. But since you took it apart it would be good practice to reapply new thermal grease/compound to the cpu because it might cause increases in temperature since it's been exposed to air. People here usually recommend artic silver 5 because it's good but you can get something cheaper since you dont OC and anything is better than stock thermal grease.

make sure you read that guide suggested above it is extremely helpful with diagnosing.

wvumazda

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Yes, I did put in all the brass spacer mounts. And yes all the fans spin on startup for a fraction of a second. Also, the indicator lights on the motherboard flash for a freaction of a second. Like I said before, I did tae the motherboard out with only the CPU and memory plugged into the motherboard just to see if it would fire up and it still did the same thing.