196.75 Driver Question

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Really sucks whats happening to peoples cards with the new driver. My question is.. is there anyone out there besides me not having any problems with the 196.75 driver? I installed BattleField BC:2 and for some reason wouldn't run. After the new driver it runs like a champ. I'm using a MSI GTX 275 and my Temps are still the same as before 50c-Idle 75c-Load, Fan speeds havn't changed... Still rises as temp goes up.

My question is should i still be concerned? From what i've read its just the issue of the fan not operating right. Mine seems to be working fine...Its not gonna just change its mind one day will it?

Thanks for any info you can give me

paperfox

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
Dont use the 196.75 driver as it might cause your card to overheat and die, which is why Nvidia stopped allowing people to download the driver. There are a few people that posted that they have no problems but I personally would not take such a risk.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
My NVIDIA 196.75 drivers, video card and precision are performing just fine. I have used third party temp monitors to verify my readings against each other and everything seems spot on. Although, I Just wanted to mention. Not everyone will necessarily have the same results as you and I. With that being said, some may require an archive driver or earlier driver to stabilize their system. My personal experience has taken me through NVIDIA gauntlet of drivers. I had success with the 186.xx drivers for my system until the new drivers came out. My EVGA GTX 295 idles at 47-49 C/Fan @ 41% and 68-72 C/Fan @ 80% under a load (Crysis Warhead).

Edit: I just looked up what NVIDIA released concerning the 196.75 drivers and it is true.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
These guy's are right. Don't risk it. I didn't know about the 196.75 driver's being pulled from the website. I can't afford to replace my EVGA GTX 295. So, I just removed the 196.75 driver's and now I'm back to the 196.21 driver's. Thanks Guy's.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Take it from a guy whose 275 just died, don't risk it (it was 4 days old, either i got a faulty card or the drivers screwed me).

If anything, you'll save yourself the trouble of RMAing your card.

Also, if you insist on using those drivers, stay away from folding@home (cuda version obiously), I think that was the reason my card died

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
As always with driver issues, they don't affect everyone, usually just a small percentage. Still though, stay away from it.

Btw. what happened to the original thread? Did someone delete/close it?

notty22

Distinguished

Depends what You consider the original thread, but NO, its here. Theres 6 threads concerning it now , on the first 2 pages
of the main graphics forum. The one by Shadow being the biggest.

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the replies. I think maybe I will try to rollback the driver one version. I don't update the drivers very often. The only reason I did was because after i installed Battlefield BC2 i had problems running it. I'd start the game and i could hear it running and all but the only thing that came up on screen was a blank black screen. I'm not sure what my last driver version was, date was sometime mid-2009. There is pry a version in the middle somewhere that i could get that would pry do the trick as well.

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks again for the help. I went to driver 196.21 and Battlefield works still. Just thought i'd post in forums letting people know if they had a simmilar problem with runing that game that 196.21 driver works well.

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I tried RivaTuner and didn't like it much. I installed EVGA's Precision and works great. With the 196.21 drivers too. Speedfan works very well to if EVGAs doesn't work for ya.

Ohh also.. was a very good idea to goto the .21 drivers insted of .75... my card now runs 5c Cooler in idle and load :)

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Yea, I use speed Fan myself. I'm just comfortable with it. I didn't use the 196.75 driver's for long of course (Pulled) or 196.34 driver's (I found a lot of problems, too many to mention) they really suck. The 196.21 drivers will have to suffice for now or until they release drivers that won't burn up our video cards :cry:

Don't forget about EVGA's Voltage Tuner if your gonna use Precision. If you plan on cranking up that video card you will need to give it some voltage. Make small adjustments as you need it. Good luck.