Steam folders on 2 partitions

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all.
My SSD has 2 partitions
1. C: Windows 7
2. E: GPU Clock Tool, Razer Keyboard, Logitech G1 mouse drivers, Killer 2100 NIC and STEAM install file.
Partition C is running out of space (7GB free). Partition E is almost empty (49.51GB free). .
Please correct me if my thinking is wrong on this.
I want to extend C: to install a few more programs. To do this correctly I should delete all installed programs on E: delete E: then extend C.
The STEAM file on E: is the installation file only. Steam itself is installed on C: with Windows. Will I have to uninstall steam completely?

As always thanks’ everybody

url]

[img=http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2705/diskcande2partitions.th.png]

Solution
@corvette: The OP doesn't want to move steam. he's asking if it's necessary to do so.

@OP: You don't have to worry about steam. It's safe to remove the install file once steam is installed. Since steam is on the partition you are expanding, it's safe.

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
No, you don't have to uninstall everything to move Steam to a new location:

Moving Your Steam Installation

Warning:
It is highly recommended that you create a backup of your SteamApps folder before attempting this process. Neglecting to do so may result in a loss of all of your game content should something go wrong.

If you're low on space on the drive you have Steam installed, you can move the Steam folder to a different location. Here's an example of how to move the Steam installation between two hard drives:

• Log out and exit Steam
• Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
• Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
• Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
• Launch Steam
• Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play
• All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

@corvette: The OP doesn't want to move steam. he's asking if it's necessary to do so.

@OP: You don't have to worry about steam. It's safe to remove the install file once steam is installed. Since steam is on the partition you are expanding, it's safe.

Solution

cTs Corvette

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Why not just move Steam to E and leave it as is? You accomplish the same thing either way, without the risk of doing something wrong and having to reinstall everything. And I'm not entirely sure that W7 will let you extend the system partition anyway.

nekromobo

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
A way better thing to do is use mklink /J from elevated command prompt (start -> cmd -> run as admin.)

You can just make Directory Junction and it will appear as its on the disc, keeping some games on ssd and some rarely played games on the slower hdd.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(v=ws.10).aspx

for example, (C is ssd and E is normal hdd)

mklink /J C:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim E:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

If you check both directorories they will appear to be same, also changes made to either work for both.

I strongly recommend you MOVE STEAM to a hard drive, then recover that space and create a single partition on your SSD for Windows. I recommend PRINTING THIS OFF.

1. Add a hard drive, such as the 2TB WD Green (do a FULL FORMAT on it).

2. Create a "TEMP_STEAM" folder on it.

3. COPY the entire contents of his Steam folder to the above folder.

4. Uninstall STEAM from ADD/Remove Programs.

5. Use "Computer Management"-> "Disk Management" to remove the 2nd SSD partition that contained STEAM, then ADD its space to C-Drive so the SSD is now a solid drive

6 Reinstall Steam https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-TDLC-0426

*same as above. I had you COPY the entire contents first to be on the SAFE SIDE.

7. So, you'll be COPYING only the files mentioned above from "TEMP_STEAM" to your new STEAM folder (both on the new hard drive)

8. DELETE the "TEMP_STEAM" folder only once you're satisfied everything is working. I recommend you "verify integrity of game cache" for each game before running (right-click game-> properties-> Local Files-> "verify...")

OTHER:
- delete all files in the TEMP directory "%temp%" in start menu after a reboot
- use Acronis True Image FREE version to make an IMAGE of your Windows drive after the STEAM move (copy at Western Digital or Seagate. Must have one of their drives. Can be a USB drive.)
- LOCATE your save games if need be. Some are at STEAM (not many), some are in "Documents"->"My Games", and some are at "C:\Users\yourname\appdata... " (locate, copy the save files and create a TXT file of its location so you can copy back)

**I have successfully MOVED STEAM a couple times.

Hard Drive folders:
I'm organized like this on a 2TB drive:

E:\STEAM (create this folder, then move the files too it as per above)
E:\GAMES (for MANUALLY installing non-Steam games)
E:\Downloads
E:\Multimedia (Pictures, Video, Music)
E:\Backups (Documents folder, Windows IMAGES using Acronis True Image)
E:\My Files (other stuff)

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks Hawk, Your the only one here that actually read and answered the question.
FYI, I uninstalled all the programs on E:, extended C and all is well. Very simple as I expected.
I just wasn't sure about that Steam install file. As you know, sometimes if you delete an install file your unable to uninstall the actual program later.
Tanks again

TRENDING THREADS