Is this a good deal for a 5850 and is this site trustworthy?

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
If you can wait for another 4-6 weeks, a small price war on the higher end parts should start between camp red (ATI) and camp green (nvidia)

That Visiontek looks like a straight reference design. Not sure about their quality control or saberPC.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

You might want to check out Sapphire brand.
It comes with a free Dirt 2 game and the visiontek doesn't come with it.
Also if you buy either you want to download the new drivers 10.2 CCC
Don't install the driver from the disc.

I love my 5850 with eyeifinty. wow you won't be sorry about it

Is taking pre-orders really a "hoax"?
$280 for an HD5850 is pretty good deal. I would call first to make sure they really are in stock and when they would ship it if you bought it.
The first Fermi cards will supposedly be at least $200 more than that card so if there are any price drops on the HD5850/70 I wouldn't be surprised if they are rather small.

The board is a reference board so it's exactly the same as every other 5850 reference board. Only in the comming weeks will you begin to see 5850s on custom PCBs other than the Sapphire Toxic. The only difference between reference 5850s is the customer service you get with it.

Visiontek is O.k. Not the best, or the worst. I usually see some of their boards at CompUSA, Best Buy, and even use to see them at circuit city back when it was still running. I use to consider Visiontek a good brand, but they have declined a little and I simply consider them average.