Closed Solved

Computer keeps shutting off

Hi, Wondering if you could please help me. I have no idea what to do. I THINK there is something wrong with my hard drive, but Im not sure. First of all I have an HP (never again!) Pavillion a1750e. About a month ago, it started acting up, problems starting up, and it would not display anything. The computer would still be running, but no display. The messages would say no sync or no signal and once an error messsage came up saying my display driver wasnt working. I tried all the normal stuff, rolling back to a previous date, taking off NVidia driver and reinstalling... all that stuff.

BUT NOW... It's shutting itself down after just a few seconds. I turn it on, try to get to safe mode to try anything... but it shuts itself off. So, I'm not sure what to do. Can't afford to pay HP 55 bucks for 15 minutes of talk... and can't afford to pay a computer repair guy 150 bucks an hour! PLEASE HELP ME!!!! My son can do the work if someone can tell me if its truly the hard drive. OR just what? I read some other things about this... but not sure where to find what they are talking about. Where do I find "Bios"... and besides, I can't get that far before it shuts off! The furthest I got was into safemode this morning, then it shut off before I could do anything. Thanks, Debi
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer shutting
  1. Best answer
    Hi Debi,

If its shutting itself down, it may indicate that the CPU is overheating. The shutdown is a way of the CPU protecting itself from damage. I had a problem similar to this a while ago. I suspected that overheating was the problem so I opened it up and discovered that the heatsink wasnt sitting correctly on the CPU.
    Once I'd repositioned it, i never had another problem.

This is one suggestion but there may well be other reasons. Theres probably lots of other people on this forum who have more expertise than me so if you have no joy with this, come back to see if theres more reponses
  2. I concur with cal, but..

You can acces the BIOS by pressing F1 (usually) or F2 depending on the type of BIOS installed. The Basic Input Output System is a program that runs directly off a chip on the motherboard that specifies all the operating environments required by the motherboard.

Getting into the BIOS must be done right at powerup, and it usually takes a few tries to time it right. If your PC is sutting down the BIOS might actually report that the last restart was caused by a thermal event, some BIOS do, some dont. Getting into the BIOS is a first step at least. Starting up in safe mode would be another thing to try, this you can do by pressing F8 right as Windows starts to load. Again takes some practice. If the machine operates ok in Safe mode and you can access the BIOS without incuring any shutdowns then perhapse the problem is the operating system and not the hardware.

Eliminating hardware from software causes should be our first place to start. Also, if you have a bootable CD, such as a HP restore CD or your Operating System CD, see if you can boot from it and see if it runs for a while without restarting. You dont actually have to do anything once its booted, just wait. Technicians always have bootable diagnostic CD's that allow us to immediately bypass the users operating system, run tools and test system performance.

This allows us to boot into a "known good configuration", while you dont have such a thing, it is possible to download and burn one for yourself from another PC for example, or your work PC or talk to your company tech and see if they would make a copy of something similar for you. A bootable Linux CD would be a good start, this loads a small version of linux into memory and allows your to play around in the operating environment without relying on your installed hardive and windows version.
  3. Thank you so much for your input... Turns out it was a CPU issue. After I posted, I started thinking about the characteristics. I just couldn't understand the symptoms... and for some reason the "hard drive" being the problem just wasn't resonating with the characteristics. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but just before the computer would shut off... the fans would rev.

Soooo.. I decided to take the side off and check it out... something I am not accustomed to, since all those little boards and everything kinda scare me... (makes me think of a mini Felix the Cat cartoon with Master Cylinder... If you are old enough to remember that cartoon!!). Anyways... I decided to turn it on while I was watching the inside components... but at first everything seemed ok, just dusty. While vacuuming it out, I noticed that the larger fan was not in place... the one that is Magnetized (?) seems like it was anyways (found out later from my son that what I found was the processor... duh). So the bracket at the bottom broke causing the fan (or processor) to fall away. Have no idea how that could have happened.... but it did. The part that broke was a little plastic lip that the bracket held to. So I asked my husband to help me... (this is a tough former Marine, but needs help with working his cell phone! Haha!!) who also is leery of touching anything inside the computer.... and we took the big plastic ring out (that the brackets clipped to) and drilled a little hole where the lip used to be (didn't think crazy glue would be a good idea)... put a little twist tie through it... replaced it, and hooked the twist tie to the bottom of the bracket...... and ......... TA DA!!! The computer's been working since yesterday morning with no problems... Thank God!! The only thing we were not sure of was the white goopy stuff that was in between the processor and the plate on the board... we assumed it was some kind of conductive material or something.

Not too bad for a couple folks who had no clue what they were doing, huh? So you guys were right anyways, with your thoughts of what could be wrong!

Thank you so much and have a great rest of the weekend!!!!
    Debi
  4. Best answer selected by debi777.
  5. Okie- Dokie then... forget all of the above... cuz it's back to telling me there is no signal. It didn't turn itself off this time... now it's back to just going to no display and saying "no signal" It starts up ok... seems to run smooth... but no display.
    I am so lost... and have no idea what to think now!

Guess we're not as lucky as we thought!!!
  6. Well that was a very creative, if not dangerous solution, so I give you points for having the stones to take a drill to your motherboard :-) ....

I'm guessing that your video card cable is loose and or the card itself is not seated in its slot properly. Is thats the problem then maybe you can throw some duct tape on it. LOL. I'm just kidding :-p Sometimes low tech is the best tech.
  7. Your system has an integrated video card. If the video card is bad, you can buy an AGP or PCI-E video card as an add-on and plug your monitor into the new card.

It also might be that your power supply is slowly failing on you since the problem seems to be random.
  8. Ok Canuk... too funny... (my fam is all from Cananda, so I get to say that! I'm the only one born in the states.... they are all from Ontario) We didn't drill the Motherboard... I'm not that crazy!! (only sometimes!) we drilled the bracket ring AFTER we removed it from the board! I'll check the video card cable... if i can find it. Got Schematics???
  9. Yep. Ontario's where I hail from. If you're a fan of Red Green then the Duct Tape joke is funnier. Its a Canadian thing I guess.

The cable is the thick one running to the monitor. Check at both ends, computer and monitor. I didn't check to see if you have an integrated video card (which means the Video card chips are built right on the motherboard as opposed to there being a seperate card that fits into one of the slots on the motherboard. So as mrblasito says there is an addon slot for a replacement but I wouldn't think it to be very likely.
  10. This unit has built in graphics. You have a PCIE add-on slot. Assuming the unit has been subjected to heat enough for the plastic the CPU fan is mounted to to become brittle and break away I would suspect the heat to have caused other issues as well. If the mounting plastic broke away because of a shock the basic idea is the same. You'll need to secure the CPU fan properly before you can take the next step. I suggest you look for a replacement for the "frame", you will probably have to buy a new fan to get it but that's a good thing.
  11. Alrighty... my son came over a little while ago to check it out. unbeknown to me, I DID have a separate upgraded video card already installed... one with it's own little fan and everything! (a Comanche or something) He took it out cleaned it and checked everything... didn't see anything that looked fried... but no go. It still did the same thing when he re-installed it. So he took it back out and hooked up to the integrated card... and so far so good! I'm thinking that when I ordered the computer, because I told them I was a photographer and had a lot of photos and graphics... they sold me on the upgraded card. So now i'm wondering if I need to replace it, or if the integrated one is enough.

Thanks so much for all your help... at least I knew which direction to send my son in and you guys were right!
  12. Hi Debi,

Glad to help
  13. debi777 said:
    Alrighty... my son came over a little while ago to check it out. unbeknown to me, I DID have a separate upgraded video card already installed... one with it's own little fan and everything! (a Comanche or something) He took it out cleaned it and checked everything... didn't see anything that looked fried... but no go. It still did the same thing when he re-installed it. So he took it back out and hooked up to the integrated card... and so far so good! I'm thinking that when I ordered the computer, because I told them I was a photographer and had a lot of photos and graphics... they sold me on the upgraded card. So now i'm wondering if I need to replace it, or if the integrated one is enough.

Thanks so much for all your help... at least I knew which direction to send my son in and you guys were right!

hey deb take the battery out and replace it the one that looks like a watch battery the no single is because the monitor not getting any single from pc also take your finger and push the bracket that holds fan tight in place and see how long it works
  14. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer