Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NForce 680i LT & support for 45nm Q9550 - gimme some input/feedback

Last response: in Motherboards
November 21, 2010 7:36:12 AM

For the longest time I've had a problem where my system would randomly lock up. I've changed out almost everything except the CPU, which is the intel core 2 quad Q9550. And my Mobo is the nForce 680i LT.

I just read that the nForce 680i LT doesn't support 45nm quads(what mine is). Is this the reason for the lock ups?
a c 92 V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 9:02:12 AM

I'm surprised yours booted at all? The 680i does lack support for the 45nm quads. Do you have any data on the lockups? (error msgs, blue screen numbers, etc)
Score
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 21, 2010 2:49:43 PM

I have an eVGA 680i motherboard. The nVidia website says that the 680i does not support the the 45 nm quads.

Googling "nvidia 680i yorkfield support", with very few exceptions seems to confirm that.

I know that mine does not, but it does support the 45 nm Wolfdale duals.
Score
November 21, 2010 4:44:41 PM

4745454b said:
I'm surprised yours booted at all? The 680i does lack support for the 45nm quads. Do you have any data on the lockups? (error msgs, blue screen numbers, etc)

No error messages or anything of any kind whatsoever. Only thing in the event log is that it shut down unexpectedly...

And it's a Yorkfield, fyi. Not a Wolfdale.

Perhaps a testament to the greatness of the processor? Working on board that don't even support it? :??: 
Score
a c 92 V Motherboard
November 22, 2010 2:54:06 AM

It would be a testament of the chipset. Does the LT designation mean something? Some second gen 680i that I didn't hear about?
Score
November 23, 2010 10:10:21 PM

4745454b said:
Does the LT designation mean something? Some second gen 680i that I didn't hear about?

I'll assume 'Lite':
Quote:
Here are the fundamental differences between an nForce 680i SLI board and an nForce 680i SLI LT board.

No Triple PCIe x16 Card Support - Full nForce 680i platforms support dual PCI Express x16 cards along with a third PCI Express x16 slot (with x8 signaling). This slot is designed for dedicated PCI Express physics cards (which have still yet to hit the market) or an additional graphics card or RAID card. As utilization of this slot has been low, Nvidia decided to cut out this feature in order to cut down on costs. Most users will not miss this slot.

No Dual-LAN Support - The nForce 680i LT SLI chipset only supports one native Gigabit Ethernet port, as opposed to two on the 680i SLI. This also means that Nvidia's DualNet technology (which pairs multiple GigE links together) is out of the running on this chipset. The 680i LT SLI only supports a single Gigabit Ethernet port and Nvidia's FirstPacket priority optimization features. We should note that third party motherboard manufacturers could indeed provide dual-NICs, although they would have to rely on third party components connected to the PCIe/PCI bus, not native to the chipset. The majority of users only use one Gigabit Ethernet port, so again, this feature won't be missed by many.

No DDR2-1200 Support - This chipset only "officially" supports memory speeds up to 800 MHz, whereas the full 680i SLI chipset supported speeds up to 1200 MHz officially. Keep in mind, while this chipset only "officially" allows DDR speeds up to 800 MHz, the BIOS of this motherboard is fully equipped to run at much higher speeds, which we verified in testing.

No Board Level "Bling" - eVGA's full 680i SLI board featured a black PCB and diagnostic LED indicators, whereas this 680i board features no LED indicators and a standard green PCB.

Active Cooling - In our opinion, this may be the biggest notable change between the 680i SLI and the 680i LT SLI boards from eVGA. In order to cut down costs, eVGA/Nvidia removed the passive heatpipe based cooling of the two chipset components, opting instead for two small chipset coolers, each with fans. Now, the original 680i SLI's heatpipe cooler ran fairly hot so using the (optional) fan was more or less a requirement for power users. However, this board takes this efficient cooling system out of the mix, going for a more traditional route which is a noisier solution overall.

:( 

Score

Best solution

a c 92 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 12:11:07 AM

Then I don't see how this 680i board can boot with the 45nm quad. If you're having problems with stability that could be it. From what I've seen on the forums you shouldn't even be able to boot.

Have you verified the chip with CPUz?
November 24, 2010 12:40:54 AM

4745454b said:
Then I don't see how this 680i board can boot with the 45nm quad. If you're having problems with stability that could be it. From what I've seen on the forums you shouldn't even be able to boot.

Have you verified the chip with CPUz?

Yes, I have.

Score
a c 92 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 12:45:10 AM

Well obviously your Photoshop skills are better then most peoples:p 

I honestly have no idea. I've seen people talk about putting a 45nm quad in their 6xxi systems before and they don't even boot. If you're having stability problems then a chip that is officially support could only help.
Score
November 24, 2010 12:49:25 AM

Hmm... Perhaps I'll put my old 965 Extreme back in and get a new board for the q9550. Ideas on a board that supports it that can be found on the market these days?
Score
a c 156 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 1:07:38 AM

I really like the Gigabyte P45 boards.
Score
a c 92 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 2:46:34 AM

Any P or G 3x or 4x board should handle it, as will the 7 series from Nvidia. (750i, 780i, etc)

How unstable are we talking about?
Score
November 24, 2010 5:24:55 AM

4745454b said:
Any P or G 3x or 4x board should handle it, as will the 7 series from Nvidia. (750i, 780i, etc)

How unstable are we talking about?

Hard to rank it. Sometimes it will lock up a minute after I rebooted from one lock up. Yet other times I've gone months(2 months) with no problems. Average about 1-2 weeks though I think. But it seems that when it does lock up, it has a higher probability to lock up again within the next 24 hours...

I can't think of any specific cause. Seems completely random. Sometimes when gaming, other times when working on schoolwork(typing documents in word or something), other times when completely idle.

I can say for sure though, that it occurs a lot more in windows 7 than it does in ubuntu(I have a dual-boot setup). In fact, I can't honestly remember the last time it occurred in ubuntu, and am now going to try to use ubuntu as much as I possibly can to see if it has the same problem.
Score
a c 92 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 5:46:00 AM

I'd look for updated drivers. Thats my first thought. I was thinking bad board until you mentioned linux.
Score
November 24, 2010 6:34:25 AM

4745454b said:
I'd look for updated drivers. Thats my first thought. I was thinking bad board until you mentioned linux.

I've got every updated driver I can think of... :/  Gone through the process many times.
Score
November 25, 2010 12:38:41 AM

Happens on linux too. Just got a nice complete system lockup while playing counter-strike... :pfff: 
Score
November 28, 2010 4:04:13 AM

Best answer selected by stalker7d7.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 28, 2010 9:17:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!