External GPU through mini PCI-e or ExpressCard slot

houyunqing

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
External GPU for laptop... This thing makes sense if CPU-GPU memory transfer is minimal, which is true for those who use GPU for computation while leaving the CPU completely idle... and it makes a lot more sense if you have only a laptop which has no cuda-capable graphic card and are as broke as I am so another desktop would be unaffordable...

My laptop has one ExpressCard 54 slot and two mini PCI-e slots. Any idea how to connect a pci-e x16 NVidia GTX 275 to those x1 slots?

Actually I found a lane converter that converts pci-e x16 input to a pci-e x1 output. It's here: http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/p [...] -1648.html
But I'm not sure if that converter fits my mini pci-e slot or not... Of course I'd need some extension cable since that thing couldn't possibly be crammed into my laptop, but the thing I'm worried about is: Would the GTX 275 be able to work with a single lane? Would that pci-e x1 output be compatible with the mini pci-e standard?

I'm also looking for some adapter that could take in the pci-e 16x GTX 275 card and connect to the ExpressCard 54 slot. That way I wouldn't have to open the back lid to access the mini pci-e slots. Do you guys know of any of such adapters?

any help would be greatly appreciated! And I guess if there's a good(cheap) solution to this, a lot more people would jump up from their seats and scream in excitement... :D

easy_55

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
You would be slowing the GPU down so much that it would be completely pointless...

I've looked into external GPU solutions and it's a dead end man. Get an Alienware laptop instead.

MeTheIt

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
all of what you are saying is posible but you have to build it yourself i'd start with pinouts.ru if your still intrested... -metheit
ps alienware is overpriced go with a antec custom

Matteo De Vellis

Reputable
May 9, 2015

you can but you need another psu and another display