Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PLEASE : Which GPUs can this PSU Support ??

Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2010 6:08:43 PM

This is a serious request for needed information ... not looking for vague speculation but VERY educated guesses are welcome.

This is for my edit build and the GPU selection has been an issue. I need a GPU for Video Edit/Transcode & moderate 3D motion titles and verious 3d/particle effects and transitions.

This GPu must push 2x 1920 x 1080P/1200P displays at 30+ Hz refresh. I would like 1GB GDDR3(+) & 256bit mem interface.

I have ruled out QuadroFx ... Ruled out ATi (sniffle) ... Which leaves "us" with nVidia cards under $260 ... 9800GT, GTX 250, etc.

My primary reason for this selection is to (fairly) closely mimmic a QudroFx, for the sake of Industry Compatibility and Performance. (Adobe, etc.).

I can see that the 250 trounces the 9800, fairly roundly, and has the same (or slightly less) power draw of the 9800 26Amps/24Amps ...

Here are the clear specs for a PSU (older/dated but "new in box") which I ALREADY OWN (looking at it right now).
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE "*" Asterisk in the output section.

http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII480_spe.html

The problem (if it is a problem) is that the 256bit cards all want 24Amps~26Amps ...

This PSU states 18Amps for each of the +12Volt Rails ... BUT ... that asterisk in the output specs gives me some, little hope.

Can ANYbody speak with a modicum of authority, on this issue ??? Can my Antec TPII 480W PSU push a 9800/250/260, etc. ??

Some of these manufacturers are specifying a 450W PSU, minimum ... This PSu has a PCIe connector on each of 2 Rails ... 460W continuous out.

Thanks so very much ... I DO appreciate any helpful responses.

= Alvin =

More about : gpus psu support

Best solution

March 20, 2010 8:09:21 PM

The Antec will handle the 9800 & 250, since it has 33amps over the 12V rails... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

I would go with the GTS 250 for your needs.
March 20, 2010 8:09:43 PM

Use the Antec PSU calculator and it will calculate the necessary power req'ts and then recommend which of their PSU's meet those requirements:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Minimum System Requirements GTS 250

* PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0-compliant motherboard with one dual-width x16 graphics slot
* One 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector
* Minimum 450W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A)***

*** Minimum system power requirements based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz processor
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2010 9:19:21 PM

Well, I guess THAT was the real question ... "Can I split the ~25A~ GPU requirement between those TWO Antec +12V rails ??

... It would seem that it can be done with no worries. ... I don't see Antec "jumping up and down" trying to warn me about exceeding the output of a single +12V rail, while within limits of both rails, combined.

Who invented multiple rails ?? Off with their head! (not to incite actual violence).

If it is ONE SINGLE AMPERAGE POOL, then SAY SO !!! JEEEESHHH ! ! !

= Alvin =
m
l
March 20, 2010 9:27:56 PM

Besides ... The full 24Amp (max) "requirement of a GTX250 (thank you) only exceeds the Antec spec 18Amp rail by 33%, and you know that the GPUs "requirements" will be "LIBERAL" while the PSU spec will be intentionally "CONSERVATIVE" or, "literally" UNDER-RATED by as much as 100%.

Do I need to buy a FIRE EXTINGUISHERR ? ?

= Al =
m
l
March 20, 2010 10:06:02 PM

No fire extingusher required... Just setup system and enjoy...
m
l
March 20, 2010 10:23:16 PM

It will work, don't worry about the split rails.

I'm mildly worried about it being a TPII. Like the Smartpower series they had some bad caps used. This caused them to fail if they got to hot. Seeing as its an older PSU you might want to consider replacing it with something newer. I bought my SP 450W 3 or 4 years ago. I've moved on since thing to the Earthwatts series. If your PSU is ~3yo you should consider doing the same.
m
l
March 21, 2010 3:18:20 AM

18Amps on a 12v rail is 212 watts. You have two so I'm sure it's enough. Of course since they are "virtual" rails I'm sure that they cannot sustain a combined output of 424W. Still, it should be enough for a GTX 260, which I believe has a max TDP of 180W, depending on the power draw of the rest of the system of course. I assume that the Power draw of the 55nm 260 sp 216 is a little less, but I don't feel like trying to find out on Google right now :D .

Anyway, I think you may be better off going with a G92 based card, like the GTS250, simply to see if you can softmod it into a Quatro. Of course, I believe the trick only works with older drivers so that may be a bit of a pain.

m
l
March 21, 2010 3:43:55 AM

4745454b said:
It will work, don't worry about the split rails.

I'm mildly worried about it being a TPII. Like the Smartpower series they had some bad caps used. This caused them to fail if they got to hot. Seeing as its an older PSU you might want to consider replacing it with something newer. I bought my SP 450W 3 or 4 years ago. I've moved on since thing to the Earthwatts series. If your PSU is ~3yo you should consider doing the same.

First, this TP-II 480 is brand new (still in the box, in bubble wrap) ... It SAYS it has a 20+4 pin *AND* a 24-pin connector and ONE 6-pin connector ... BUT ... When I got it home (from FRY's, 2~3 years ago) I discovered that it had ONLY a 24-pin connector and TWO 6-pin PCIe connectors. ...
... Well, that harness config made this PSU unsuitable for upgrading my Socket 478 mobo, which was having trouble with my original RAIDMAX 350W PSU (came with "blue bubble mid-disco-tower").

The fact that I have that RAIDMAX (w/side-fan) case and a "new" 480 PSU pushed me to decide to seriously investigte an AM3 edit/render engine NOW, rather than to wait for a PCIe3.0 1366, in a year.

If I didn't have a "new" PSU and case and a P128 SSD (inside my crapped out notebook) and a 52" HDTV, I would not even be considering this "LO-BALL" edit/render rig.

So ... THAT is why i started this (rather annoying) thread ... because I am *CHEAP* and I have good, unused parts, just laying around.

I surely intend to award a "best answer", here (there must be one) and "Just Do It" is what I hear and believe.

As of this post, I am still waiting to hear back from my Antec request for eMail Support (I have been issued a confirmation/control number, thus far) ... AND, tho I am confident what that answer will be, ... since an official answer appears to be forthcoming ... I'll just wait a little while on declaring a "Tech Supreme", on this issue, just yet.

Thanks VERY much for your time and your very educated opinions ... Let's see what the Horse's Mouth has to say (as well).

= THANKS ! =
m
l
March 21, 2010 5:29:18 AM

It might be new, but its still new with bad parts? Again, not very good capacitors made its way into the SP and TP line. Only the Seasonic built TP trio wouldn't have this problem. Safe to use for awhile, possibly longer if you keep the temps down inside the CPU. Once I discovered this I did this with my SP 450W, and its still working. Safe to use, but keep an eye on things.
m
l
March 21, 2010 7:22:40 AM

Alvin Smith said:
This is a serious request for needed information ... not looking for vague speculation but VERY educated guesses are welcome.

This is for my edit build and the GPU selection has been an issue. I need a GPU for Video Edit/Transcode & moderate 3D motion titles and verious 3d/particle effects and transitions.

This GPu must push 2x 1920 x 1080P/1200P displays at 30+ Hz refresh. I would like 1GB GDDR3(+) & 256bit mem interface.

I have ruled out QuadroFx ... Ruled out ATi (sniffle) ... Which leaves "us" with nVidia cards under $260 ... 9800GT, GTX 250, etc.

My primary reason for this selection is to (fairly) closely mimmic a QudroFx, for the sake of Industry Compatibility and Performance. (Adobe, etc.).

I can see that the 250 trounces the 9800, fairly roundly, and has the same (or slightly less) power draw of the 9800 26Amps/24Amps ...

Here are the clear specs for a PSU (older/dated but "new in box") which I ALREADY OWN (looking at it right now).
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE "*" Asterisk in the output section.

http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII480_spe.html

The problem (if it is a problem) is that the 256bit cards all want 24Amps~26Amps ...

This PSU states 18Amps for each of the +12Volt Rails ... BUT ... that asterisk in the output specs gives me some, little hope.

Can ANYbody speak with a modicum of authority, on this issue ??? Can my Antec TPII 480W PSU push a 9800/250/260, etc. ??

Some of these manufacturers are specifying a 450W PSU, minimum ... This PSu has a PCIe connector on each of 2 Rails ... 460W continuous out.

Thanks so very much ... I DO appreciate any helpful responses.

= Alvin =

Very simple I run a PNY GTX 260 1Gigabyte of DDR3 on a 400Watt PSU that I got from newegg.com for $25.00. Card run cool, benchmarks very high even in Crysis DX10 Mode 1680 x 1050 4xAA and Veryhigh Settings pushing any where from 27-35 FPS! Your retail cost for the card from bestbuy where I bought mine is only 199.99.
m
l
March 21, 2010 7:47:38 AM

iholbrookv2 said:
Very simple I run a PNY GTX 260 1Gigabyte of DDR3 on a 400Watt PSU that I got from newegg.com for $25.00. Card run cool, benchmarks very high even in Crysis DX10 Mode 1680 x 1050 4xAA and Veryhigh Settings pushing any where from 27-35 FPS! Your retail cost for the card from bestbuy where I bought mine is only 199.99.

Well, if a JarHead can do it ... anybody can ! ...

... er ... I would not have said that if Alvin Smith was my real name !

Let us know how you like the quarters on the new LCS ships, if you get the chance.

HOO-rahhh ! !

= Alvin = (USSS, Detached)

m
l
March 21, 2010 8:12:03 AM

tecmo34 said:
The Antec will handle the 9800 & 250, since it has 33amps over the 12V rails... http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763

I would go with the GTS 250 for your needs.

Ahhhh ?! ... I FINALLY got around to investigating that link ... this looks like pretty good dope to me !!
*************************************************************************************
~~~QUOTE~~~

TruePower 2.0 TPII-380 ~28A
TruePower 2.0 TPII-430 ~30A
-----------------------------------
TruePower 2.0 TPII-480 ~33A
-----------------------------------
TruePower 2.0 TPII-550 ~35A
TruePower 2.0 Truecontrol II-550 ~35a
TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ~36A
NeoPower 380 ~26A
NeoPower 480 ~32A

= VERY INTERESTING ! = [:bilbat:5]
m
l
March 21, 2010 8:15:06 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Well, if a JarHead can do it ... anybody can ! ...

... er ... I would not have said that if Alvin Smith was my real name !

Let us know how you like the quarters on the new LCS ships, if you get the chance.

HOO-rahhh ! !

= Alvin = (USSS, Detached)

Thanks man! I leave for BootCamp on April 12th, afraid a little. lol...

m
l
March 21, 2010 8:56:34 PM

iholbrookv2 said:

"Afraid" is good !!! As far as Boot goes ... just remember (over and over) that you are at least as able as most of these "maggots".

Things get WAY better, after Boot. Just hang in.

= Alvin =

Now! . . . GIMME 500 Jumpimg Jacks ! ! !

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

m
l
March 21, 2010 9:06:38 PM

Alvin Smith said:
"Afraid" is good !!! As far as Boot goes ... just remember (over and over) that you are at least as able as most of these "maggots".

Things get WAY better, after Boot. Just hang in.

= Alvin =

Now! . . . GIMME 500 Jumpimg Jacks ! ! !

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

lol all the bounces!
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:19:31 PM

iholbrookv2 said:
lol all the bounces!

... lol, while you can !!! ... ... ... Ulp !!

= :cry:  =
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:24:37 PM

Alvin Smith said:
... lol, while you can !!! ... ... ... Ulp !!

= :cry:  =

I think I've spammed this thread enough. I'm sorry!
m
l
March 21, 2010 9:48:05 PM

That's OK ... it is MY thread and WE are just waiting to see what ANTEC has to say "officially", before I award a "best answer".

This thread is, essentially "solved", for all practical purposes.

= Al =
m
l
March 21, 2010 10:42:53 PM

Alvin Smith said:
That's OK ... it is MY thread and WE are just waiting to see what ANTEC has to say "officially", before I award a "best answer".

This thread is, essentially "solved", for all practical purposes.

= Al =

I'm glad you consider this solved so do you have a bestbuy near you?

Hey man I can give you a link that will tell you how much power you need to run a GTX 260 and all your other hardware its really easy to use.

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html?Tp...
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:01:05 PM

Thanks ... I'm pretty much "done" ... Answer ? YES I CAN ... BUT ... I will have to watch my total +12V limit when I add a BLACK MAGIC I/O-transcode card ... I am optimistic because that card is passively cooled and I didn't spot any PCIe PWR connect ... so ...

= Alvin =
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:20:14 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Thanks ... I'm pretty much "done" ... Answer ? YES I CAN ... BUT ... I will have to watch my total +12V limit when I add a BLACK MAGIC I/O-transcode card ... I am optimistic because that card is passively cooled and I didn't spot any PCIe PWR connect ... so ...

= Alvin =

Sweet Sweet!
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:34:32 PM

Do yourself a huge favor ...

Start going to sleep at 9:30PM and waking up at 5am ... jog 2 miles before breakfast.

= or not ... ahem =
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:37:05 PM

Alvin Smith said:
Do yourself a huge favor ...

Start going to sleep at 9:30PM and waking up at 5am ... jog 2 miles before breakfast.

= or not ... ahem =

Your one of the most me-low people I have ever met on here!
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:43:25 PM

lol ... almost ever ... huh?
m
l
March 21, 2010 11:47:50 PM

Alvin Smith said:
lol ... almost ever ... huh?

Yep, hey do you know why my newcomer thing hasn't gone away?
m
l
March 22, 2010 12:21:45 AM

what can I say?? because you are still a newcomer.

m
l
March 22, 2010 12:29:05 AM

Alvin Smith said:
what can I say?? because you are still a newcomer.

The little chart says that I'm like way up there what is going on?
m
l
March 22, 2010 2:11:48 AM

sytem will update at 2:15am ...CST ... Check back tomorrow.

m
l
March 22, 2010 2:17:27 AM

BTW ... my advice (I'm full of it ... advice) ... Don't think or worry about points, awards, badges and status, around here ...

... all that will take care of it's self ... just be sure not to mouth off to anyone that is a veteran or an addict ... trust that.

... another hint ... Things DO take time. No way you are going to climb, day by day.

Lurk and see who's who and what build choices are prevalent. We never know nearly as much as we think we do ... especially here.

= Al = Chiill-AX
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:05:45 AM

What are you talking about? Some of us know everything around here? Your only a regular, when you get higher you'll learn that.

ha ha, sorry. Couldn't resist.
m
l
March 22, 2010 3:58:41 AM

4745454b said:
What are you talking about? Some of us know everything around here? Your only a regular, when you get higher you'll learn that.

ha ha, sorry. Couldn't resist.

That dosn't matter you know the difference between a master and a professional?

A newcomer on here persay could be known actully as a master someone who knows alot just dosn't get paid or respected for their work!

A professional a person who studies the outlooks of one thing to aquire the ability to get paid and respected for their knowledge!

With that being said I consider the fact you must test everyones intelligence before judging them!
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:15:42 AM

Testing intelligence can lead to trouble around here.

I know what your saying however. We all start with a post count of zero, even though some of us know a lot more then others. The newcomer or veteran rank doesn't even speak about the persons knowledge, just how many posts they've made. As shown in this thread, they don't even have to be helpful posts. (no disrespect intended.)

We will also in time discover the same problem with the badges. By allowing the OP, who doesn't know the answer, to pick the "best" one will only lead to the same problem.
m
l
March 22, 2010 4:42:00 AM

4745454b said:
Testing intelligence can lead to trouble around here.

I know what your saying however. We all start with a post count of zero, even though some of us know a lot more then others. The newcomer or veteran rank doesn't even speak about the persons knowledge, just how many posts they've made. As shown in this thread, they don't even have to be helpful posts. (no disrespect intended.)

We will also in time discover the same problem with the badges. By allowing the OP, who doesn't know the answer, to pick the "best" one will only lead to the same problem.

Thanks I respect what you say!
m
l
March 22, 2010 5:55:20 AM

And, Brother? ... I bow to Potty Man, same as you.

BUT ... I will say that even YOU (Tanker) ... even if you hang around here, making an ass outta yersef, long enough to "make" veteran ... even an upstart Jarhead recruit would be likely to learn something, in all that time and ... certainly you will get slapped down enough to know when to shut up ... and ... who's who.

My Avitar says "regular" ... but I still consider myself to (actually) rate as an apprentice. I am a good tech, and an experienced one, to be sure ... but HERE, in this NEW BUILD forum ... I must defer to kids less than half my age because, they simply know THIS dope ... better than I do ... period ... fact. The entire reason I'm here is because I do not know this crap (inside and out) ... I can only name about a dozen ... Maybe 16 techs, here, that I just kiss the floor when they walk in ... saves me alot of time and trouble.

= Sister Maria=
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:44:16 AM

Your new trouble ticket, ID: xxxxxxx, has been submitted
InboxX

Reply |customersupport@antec.com to me
show details Mar 20 (2 days ago)

Your Trouble Ticket has been submitted with the following information:
-------------------------------------------------------
Trouble Ticket ID: 20xxxx
User: Alvin Smith
Date and Time Submitted: 03-20-2010 @ 02:19:02PM
Trouble Type: Power Supplies
Trouble Priority: Information Request
Short Description: Can TPII-480 pwr a GTX250 or GT9800 ?
Please save this email for your records

Regards,
customersupport@antec.com
PLEASE DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' TO RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL. If this is a new report, your ticket will be assigned to a Customer Support Representative in the order it was received, and we will contact you.

To review your entire ticket history, please use this link:
http://www.exdesk.com/Antec/USA,Canada/index.cfm?viewti...

To add a comment or reply to a comment from Antec, please use this link:
http://www.exdesk.com/Antec/USA,Canada/index.cfm?addcom...

PLEASE NOTE that you will need the email address you provided when you logged in, and your Customer Care Ticket ID number. PLEASE DO NOT HIT 'REPLY' TO RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.

Thank you for giving us the chance to support you.

WOW ... A change in status !!!

= ALVIN =
m
l
March 23, 2010 10:53:56 PM

Best answer selected by Alvin Smith.
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:05:45 PM

TECMO WINS !!! GIVE THAT SOLDIER A CIGAR !!!

Never heard back from Antec ... Will update if/when they respond ...

Tecmo and I (at least) KNOW this issue is solved ... the answer ??

ANSWER: .. "YES IT WILL"/"YES I CAN" ... BUT ... I will have to be very careful not to exceed 33 amps (combined) if/when I add that Black Magic Video I/O card, or any other card that requires power from the +12V (2nd) connector.

GOOD JOB PULLIN' THAT ONE OUTTA YER ARSE, TECMO !!! <<< A *REAL* TECH !!

Others were quick and correct, but G.I. JOE "proved it" ...

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH FOR PLAYING !! Runners up will receive the Home Version of our Game-Show !

= Alvin =

P.S. I didn't start this thread "just for fun" ... I *needed* to know, fer sure ... Thanks, all!
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:15:22 PM

iholbrookv2 said:

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR LAST WEEKEND AS A CIVILIAN !

Hang in there ... and keep your head down !

= ALVIN =
m
l
!