Why does my E5400 CPU give me Graphics.

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Having built and am succesfully using a new system using the Intel E5400 chip, which according to Intel data does not have Intel HD graphic support. But the graphics I get are ok and perfect for my needs.

I installed on a Gigabyte GA-G41ES2L board with a single D type 15 pin VDU putlet.

So why does the output work.?

It is important to know as I have a puzzling choice that has similar configuratiion problem in that the I5-750 does not have grphics support and some of the boards I am considering have two DVi outlets for Vdu connection. But Intel data is comflicting on this as I think it might be that teh chipset is providing the graphics. (I do not want to buy a Pci card)

Has anyone any good info on this.

Solution
If I am to believ you then the I5-750 will not give me a picture on my monitor. unless the pci card is fitted then why does this board have these outputs. Just in case the board is married to a processorr with a GPU.?
That's correct.
am not actually looking specifically for a I5-750 Q57 system I want a powerful fast PC that will handle a double Monitor for accounts & database use whilst hosting the database in multuser mode on a network.
Then you should look at an i5-750 on a quality motherboard (you'll use it as a server), fast disks in a RAID1 configuration (unless you don't care about losing the DB if a disk goes bad) and a decent video card like an ATI 4770 that will have no issues at all driving 2 monitors.
It works...

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

So based on this premise I considered a I5-750 on a Q57 motherboard but Intel says it need a graphics card with it. But the Q57 motherboard supports two DVi outputs plus HDMI output.

The I5-750 chip is priced quite reasonably and equal to the Q9400 or new G6950 Quad core. It does seem an economical option if the graphics work.

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

That is my dilema the E5400 does not haave a Gpu but the G41 chipset does, so its theh board that provides the Graphics.

Now looking at the spec for the Q57 it says it has Graphics support in the same way as the spec for theh G41 board which is why I am puzzled unless I am miss reading the spec sheets, which is always possible. http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=35365,42706,36528,27679,42915,

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well you see with the new core i5 and i3 cpu's Intel has moved the on board gpu onto the cpu, Except on the core i5 750.

Another point while the Q9400 has the same clock rate at the core i5 750 has higher performance, It's based on a different architecture, and also has turbo boost which raises it's clock speed when needed
Also the G6950 is also a dual core not a quad

The G41 is an old chipset for socket 775. You might not understand that the GPU has now moved to low-end dual-core CPUs, but an interface (H55, H57 and Q57) still is required between the GPU part of the CPU and the motherboard. None of the higher performance CPUs includes a GPU (which is fine as far as I'm concerned). Why do you want on-board graphics when discrete video cards are much faster?

Think generations - Socket 775 (OLD) and Socket 1156 (NEW)

The older 775 platform has video integrated into the motherboard (in the chipsets etc) - any processor can be used while still having access to onboard video.

The newer 1156 platform has video integrated into the lower end processors, and requires a motherboard with the video out headers (H55/H57 chipset?) *AND* a processor with integrated video to use.

Go check out the reviews for a better understanding before asking anything more here PLEASE.

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

You ask me to check out the review which I have and that is why I am asking here there is some conflict in the infor mation unless you can poiunt me to a particular review.
If you follow this link http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=35365,42706,36528,27679,42915, you will see that two possible CPU's are listed with respective Motherboard chipsets and the (E5400 - G 41) combination is up & running with on board graphics, reading the specification in the link then the I5-750 with the Q57 chipset should also work but that is the dilema.

What you don't understand is that it's not your E5400 that enables the onboard graphics, it's the chipset on the motherboard. What the people here are trying to help you understand is that the graphics isn't on the motherboard anymore, it's on the CPU on LGA 1156 socket systems. You have to get a motherboard AND CPU that support the integrated graphics to get video output now. The only current LGA 1156 chips that have integrated graphics are the dual-core i3 & i5 chips. The quad core i5 750 does NOT have integrated graphics, therefore you will NOT get any video output when pairing it with a Q57 chipset motherboard.

The whole point is that the graphics core has moved from the motherboard to the CPU now.

Here's a list of the ONLY LGA 1156 chips that will give you output when paired with a Q57 chipset motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001157+1051749233+2066754346&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

You'll notice that they're all dual-core chips.

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

I fully understand that my E5400 is not providing the graphics, but my G41 chipset is; and its why I am persisting with this because if you use Intel compare facility you get the same situation between the 5-750 and the Q 57 chipset.
I did compare the two builds on their web site and the link is posted above in another reply. the graphics section of both chipsets reads the same with the added HDMI output of the Q57.
So is Intel data wrong?
Take a look and tell me why it should not work based on their data after all its what you look at before deciding to buy anything.

Thanks by the way for the new egg link it is a useful source of data but here is also a dilema in that the new egg site says that the Q57 chipset does not have a onbord video chipset, but intel site state it has Integrated grphics so what is true?

What is true is that you don't seem to understand what we're all trying to tell you. You want a Q57 motherboard and use on-board graphics? Then use a Core i3 or a Core i5 processor with integrated graphics. Regardless of your interpretation of Intel's documentation, how difficult is that to understand?

I thought I made my previous post pretty simple. THE INTEGRATED GPU HAS NOW MOVED TO THE CPU. The motherboard now just takes the signal from the integrated GPU ON THE CPU and outputs it. YOU WILL NOT GET ONBOARD GRAPHICS IF YOU USE AN i7 750 WITH A Q57 MOTHERBOARD. Is that easier to understand?

The LGA 1156 onboard graphics works nothing like your current system where the motherboard is actually providing the graphics. The motherboard now just passes on the GPU signal if you use a CPU that has an integrated GPU. The video outputs on the motherboard are useless if you use a CPU without an integrated GPU. There are currently no quad core CPU's that have an integrated GPU.

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

Ok the folowing is something I have been looking at with the motherboards, The P55 has no video outputs at all and if a I5-750 is used then I have not output to my monitor unless I fit a PCI card. That I think we can agree.
Now with the Q57 there is DVDI & Dtype outputs and two monitors are supported according to Intel spec sheet on this chipset. If I am to believ you then the I5-750 will not give me a picture on my monitor. unless the pci card is fitted then why does this board have these outputs. Just in case the board is married to a processorr with a GPU.?

I am not actually looking specifically for a I5-750 Q57 system I want a powerful fast PC that will handle a double Monitor for accounts & database use whilst hosting the database in multuser mode on a network. It works quite well at the moment on a dual core but can hang slightly, Thus the quest for speed but at a limited cost.

If I am to believ you then the I5-750 will not give me a picture on my monitor. unless the pci card is fitted then why does this board have these outputs. Just in case the board is married to a processorr with a GPU.?
That's correct.
am not actually looking specifically for a I5-750 Q57 system I want a powerful fast PC that will handle a double Monitor for accounts & database use whilst hosting the database in multuser mode on a network.
Then you should look at an i5-750 on a quality motherboard (you'll use it as a server), fast disks in a RAID1 configuration (unless you don't care about losing the DB if a disk goes bad) and a decent video card like an ATI 4770 that will have no issues at all driving 2 monitors.
It works quite well at the moment on a dual core but can hang slightly.
Are you sure that the CPU is the bottleneck and not the disk subsystem?

Solution

grarcher

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010

I like your suggestion actually, the type & quality motherboard?, would you recommend the Intel P55 or teh Asus Or the Gigabyte.

The P55 will keep down cost and go towards the ATi card then why not.?

P55 is the chipset. Asus, Intel, MSI, Gigabyte and others all make P55 chipset based motherboards.

A brief list of P55 motherboards:
MSI P55-GD65
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3P
ASUS P7P55D
ASUS P7P55D-E
Intel BOXDP55SB
Intel BOXDP55WB (low cost)

Read the reviews before buying. As far as I'm concerned, you probably don't want to overclock a server.