Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

OCZ Agility 3 SSD without Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • OCZ
  • Rapid Storage
  • Intel
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 18, 2012 4:56:32 AM

Hi,

May I know why doesnt my OCZ Agility 3 SSD show up in Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
It also doesnt show up in the SATA List..
Only in Boot sequence (displayed as [IDE:*model name*] in the BIOS, whereas my 2nd normal HDD shown up as [RAID:*model name*])

Thanks & regards,
Danny from Malaysia

More about : ocz agility ssd intel rapid storage technology

a b G Storage
April 18, 2012 5:33:52 AM

You must have your SATA mode set to either AHCI or RAID.

IDE or compatibility mode will HEAVILY impact on speed and disable features like TRIM.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 6:50:09 AM

Hi,

I already set the IDE Mode (never seen any SATA Mode) into RAID in BIOS.. (also tried AHCI)
The WDC HDD will automatically adjust according to my settings, but not the OCZ SSD..

My PC specs:

Shuttle XPC SX58H7 Pro (500W PSU)
Intel X58 Express Chipset
Intel Core i7 980
16GB Corsair PC12800 DDR3 Tri-Channel RAM
MSI NVidia GTX 560 Ti
OCZ Agility 3 250GB SSD
WDC 2TB HDD
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

PS: I heard if we install our Windows on either IDE/AHCI/RAID, when we boot with different settings there will be BSOD? But I can load them fine with any settings.. So I guess my SSD's mode never actually changed?
m
0
l
Related resources
April 18, 2012 1:35:33 PM

HugoStiglitz said:
You must have your SATA mode set to either AHCI or RAID.

IDE or compatibility mode will HEAVILY impact on speed and disable features like TRIM.


Ah just got home & checked..
It's IDE Configuration > SATA Mode..
Already set as RAID..
But still shown as IDE for my SSD..
Is it possible it's due to my Windows was installed on IDE? (But i did an Upgrade while on AHCI, so it's considered to be on IDE or AHCI now?)
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 2:19:27 PM

If you were not in RAID before you installed Windows, and you added the SSD, you will have to set it to RAID in your BIOS, then reinstall Windows. Then the SSD will show up as an option to accelerate your HDD. Let me know when you get it working if it gives you 15 second boots to windows. It did nothing to speed mine up....still 38 seconds.

m
0
l
April 18, 2012 2:25:22 PM

catatafish said:
If you were not in RAID before you installed Windows, and you added the SSD, you will have to set it to RAID in your BIOS, then reinstall Windows. Then the SSD will show up as an option to accelerate your HDD. Let me know when you get it working if it gives you 15 second boots to windows. It did nothing to speed mine up....still 38 seconds.


It used to load Windows in 15seconds with 7.4 in Windows Experience Index..
But i have frequent crashes etc..
Then i reinstalled Windows & updated the BIOS.. now it loads in 25seconds & Windows Experience Index dropped to 6.9 :( 

PS: It's a gift from the US & sadly i didnt record the original value before flashing the BIOS etc :cry: 
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 2:26:00 PM

ah btw, the frequent freeze still happens..
so now i m worse off :cry: 
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 2:39:32 PM

I'm a little confused. Using Intel SRT usually means having an HDD as your main booting drive, and the SSD supports it as a "cache" drive. So your WEI should be 5.9 because it will show you the lowest score there is, which is going to be your HDD (not measuring the cache). 5.9 is pretty close to the highest number you can get with an OS on your HDD, regardless of using an SSD for a cache or not (at least this was my experience).

Are you using the SSD as your boot drive? And trying to use Intel SRT as well?
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 2:52:54 PM

catatafish said:
I'm a little confused. Using Intel SRT usually means having an HDD as your main booting drive, and the SSD supports it as a "cache" drive. So your WEI should be 5.9 because it will show you the lowest score there is, which is going to be your HDD (not measuring the cache). 5.9 is pretty close to the highest number you can get with an OS on your HDD, regardless of using an SSD for a cache or not (at least this was my experience).

Are you using the SSD as your boot drive? And trying to use Intel SRT as well?


Ya, I am using the SSD as my main boot drive..
Am i understanding the RST wrongly? =/

Previously I said i could boot on all IDE/AHCI/RAID..
I just updated to the latest BIOS (http://global.shuttle.com/products/productsDownloadUS?p...)..
& now i can only load Windows on IDE/AHCI..

Here's the stat for both my SSD & HDD on Piriform's Speccy:

Quote:
WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B0
Manufacturer Western Digital
Form Factor TB/3.5-inch (new format)
Business Unit/Brand Enterprise/WD RE4; WD RE3; WD RE2 (4-platter)
Heads 16
Cylinders 16383
SATA type SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA8-ACS
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Power On Count 351 times
Power On Time 57.0 days
Speed, Expressed in Revolutions Per Minute (rpm) 7200
Features S.M.A.R.T., APM, AAM, NCQ
Transfer Mode SATA II
Interface SATA
Capacity 1954GB
Real size 2,000,398,934,016 bytes
RAID Type None
S.M.A.R.T
01 Read Error Rate 100 (253 worst) Data 0000000000
03 Spin-Up Time 253 (253) Data 00000016B0
04 Start/Stop Count 100 (100) Data 00000002FB
05 Reallocated Sectors Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
07 Seek Error Rate 200 (200) Data 0000000000
09 Power-On Hours (POH) 099 (099) Data 0000000558
0A Spin Retry Count 100 (100) Data 0000000000
0B Recalibration Retries 100 (100) Data 0000000000
0C Device Power Cycle Count 100 (100) Data 000000015F
C0 Power-off Retract Count 200 (200) Data 0000000074
C1 Load/Unload Cycle Count 200 (200) Data 0000000286
C2 Temperature 108 (094) Data 000000002C
C4 Reallocation Event Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
C5 Current Pending Sector Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 200 (200) Data 0000000000
C8 Write Error Rate / Multi-Zone Error Rate 200 (200) Data 0000000000
Temperature 44 °C
Temperature Range ok (less than 50 °C)
Status Good
Partition 0
Partition ID Disk #0, Partition #0
Disk Letter E:
File System NTFS
Volume Serial Number 26CC1079
Size 1863GB
Used Space 211GB (12%)
Free Space 1652GB (88%)


Quote:
OCZ-AGILITY3 ATA Device
Manufacturer OCZ
Heads 16
Cylinders 16383
SATA type SATA-II 3.0Gb/s
Device type Fixed
ATA Standard ATA8-ACS
LBA Size 48-bit LBA
Power On Count 348 times
Power On Time 76.6 days
Speed, Expressed in Revolutions Per Minute (rpm) Not used (SSD Drive)
Features S.M.A.R.T., APM, NCQ, TRIM, SSD
Transfer Mode SATA III
Interface SATA
Capacity 234GB
Real size 240,057,409,536 bytes
RAID Type None
S.M.A.R.T
01 Read Error Rate 120 (120 worst) Data 0000000000
05 Reallocated Sectors Count 100 (100) Data 0000000002
09 Power-On Hours (POH) 098 (098) Data 000000072F
0C Device Power Cycle Count 100 (100) Data 000000015C
AB 000 (000) Data 0000000001
AC 000 (000) Data 0000000001
AE 000 (000) Data 0000000062
B1 000 (000) Data 0000000002
B5 000 (000) Data 0000000001
B6 000 (000) Data 0000000001
BB Reported Uncorrectable Errors 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C2 Temperature 128 (129) Data 0000810080
C3 Hardware ECC Recovered 100 (100) Data 0000000000
C4 Reallocation Event Count 100 (100) Data 0000000002
C9 Soft Read Error Rate 100 (100) Data 0000000000
CC Soft ECC Correction 100 (100) Data 0000000000
E6 GMR Head Amplitude 100 (100) Data 0000000064
E7 Temperature 100 (100) Data 0000000000
E9 000 (000) Data 0000000630
EA 000 (000) Data 0000000560
F1 Total LBAs Written 000 (000) Data 0000000560
F2 Total LBAs Read 000 (000) Data 0000000BB2
Temperature 128 °C
Temperature Range bad (greater than 55 °C)
Status Good
Partition 0
Partition ID Disk #1, Partition #0
Size 100 MB
Partition 1
Partition ID Disk #1, Partition #1
Disk Letter C:
File System NTFS
Volume Serial Number AE8D67CA
Size 223GB
Used Space 91GB (41%)
Free Space 132GB (59%)


As far as I know, my SSD should be on SATA3 6.0Gb/s rather than SATA2?

m
0
l
April 18, 2012 3:04:08 PM

1) If you have an SSD, yes it should be connected to an SATA3 6gbs if you have it.
2) Intel SRT is for an HDD as the primary drive, with an SSD to supplement it as a cache drive. If your OS is already on your SSD (a superior set up), you don't need Intel SRT.

If you are using your SSD as your boot drive, then you should be in AHCI and your mechanical HDD should not have an OS on it at all, and should just be used for extra storage of files (what most people do with their SSD).

Someone else please chime in if I'm advising him incorrectly, but that was my understanding of things. I have no idea how to read that error report though.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 3:09:05 PM

catatafish said:
1) If you have an SSD, yes it should be connected to an SATA3 6gbs if you have it.
2) Intel SRT is for an HDD as the primary drive, with an SSD to supplement it as a cache drive. If your OS is already on your SSD (a superior set up), you don't need Intel SRT.

If you are using your SSD as your boot drive, then you should be in AHCI and your mechanical HDD should not have an OS on it at all, and should just be used for extra storage of files (what most people do with their SSD).

Someone else please chime in if I'm advising him incorrectly, but that was my understanding of things. I have no idea how to read that error report though.


Yup, it's connected to the SATA3 6.0Gbs connector..
& my OS is on the SSD with the HDD only for extra files, so i guess that clears the part about RST.. Thanks!
So AHCI is better than RAID for my SSD?
Still dont get why my SSD is shown as IDE in the BIOS & not shown in the SATA List of Drives (only DVD-ROM & HDD shown) though..
m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 18, 2012 4:55:15 PM

Two things first:
1) Download/install/run AS SSD. - DO NOT need to run the benchmark. Just look at the upper left. It will show what driver is being used:
.. pcide = Bad That says it all.
.. msahch That is OK
.. iaSTor that the best configuration.
2) look at the drive using my Disk manager - there should be two partitions, one a small 100 mb system partition and then the larger one should be "C" drive.
3) Hate to be the bear of bad news, But it does not matter if your SATA III Agility III is on sata II or SATA III - It will not run any faster on SATA III. Yes ATTO Benchmark will show higher on SATA III, BUT if you run AS SSD you will find it score the same for SATA II or SATA III - Yes this is in a review PLUS I verified on My system, Have two 128 gig Agility III.

Here is where it gets tricky.
1) How did you install windows on the SSD???? Did you do the recommended method of first disconnecting your HDDs BEFORE installing windows 7 on SSD. If NO then highly recommend that you re-install win 7 on the SSD.
2) While it is recommended that the Bios be set to AHCI, with an Intel chipset the Bios May be set to Raid. Here is a 2nd stick point, if you reinstall windows with the Bios set to AHCI you may not see the HDD after reloading windows. Simple solution is to back up the HDD just to be safe.
3) If you leave the Bios set to raid that is OK,
.. First visit Intels download and download the "F6 Driver. Put on a thumbdrive.
.. Just that you will need to Select custom install
.. Play it safe select advanced and delete any and all partitons
.. On page that displays the SSD (DON't FORGET need to disconnect HDD first) there is a check box for Additional drivers.
.. After checking the box and selecting where to install. you will be prompted for the additional driver, just broose to the thumbdrive and select the driver.
.. Then just continue as normal for reinstall.

If the Orginal installation was done with the HDD disconnected and Bios was set to IDE, you might be able to just force it to AHCI. Requires editting the Registry, reboot to Bios and setting the Bios to AHCI. (just google changing ide to ahci in windows 7 NOT this is a faily common problem. Then just un-install RST and reinstall, that should then convert the msahci driver to iaSTor.

Added:
You said "So AHCI is better than RAID for my SSD?"
Short answer NO they are the same if properly set up.
Long winded explaination. AHCI setting will set msahci as driver which can then be changed to iaSTor. When Bios is set to raid, and the SSD is NOT a member drive, iaSTOR can still be used and the drive will be treated as a AHCI drive.
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 5:57:16 PM

RetiredChief said:
Two things first:
1) Download/install/run AS SSD. - DO NOT need to run the benchmark. Just look at the upper left. It will show what driver is being used:
.. pcide = Bad That says it all.
.. msahch That is OK
.. iaSTor that the best configuration.
2) look at the drive using my Disk manager - there should be two partitions, one a small 100 mb system partition and then the larger one should be "C" drive.
3) Hate to be the bear of bad news, But it does not matter if your SATA III Agility III is on sata II or SATA III - It will not run any faster on SATA III. Yes ATTO Benchmark will show higher on SATA III, BUT if you run AS SSD you will find it score the same for SATA II or SATA III - Yes this is in a review PLUS I verified on My system, Have two 128 gig Agility III.

Here is where it gets tricky.
1) How did you install windows on the SSD???? Did you do the recommended method of first disconnecting your HDDs BEFORE installing windows 7 on SSD. If NO then highly recommend that you re-install win 7 on the SSD.
2) While it is recommended that the Bios be set to AHCI, with an Intel chipset the Bios May be set to Raid. Here is a 2nd stick point, if you reinstall windows with the Bios set to AHCI you may not see the HDD after reloading windows. Simple solution is to back up the HDD just to be safe.
3) If you leave the Bios set to raid that is OK,
.. First visit Intels download and download the "F6 Driver. Put on a thumbdrive.
.. Just that you will need to Select custom install
.. Play it safe select advanced and delete any and all partitons
.. On page that displays the SSD (DON't FORGET need to disconnect HDD first) there is a check box for Additional drivers.
.. After checking the box and selecting where to install. you will be prompted for the additional driver, just broose to the thumbdrive and select the driver.
.. Then just continue as normal for reinstall.

If the Orginal installation was done with the HDD disconnected and Bios was set to IDE, you might be able to just force it to AHCI. Requires editting the Registry, reboot to Bios and setting the Bios to AHCI. (just google changing ide to ahci in windows 7 NOT this is a faily common problem. Then just un-install RST and reinstall, that should then convert the msahci driver to iaSTor.

Added:
You said "So AHCI is better than RAID for my SSD?"
Short answer NO they are the same if properly set up.
Long winded explaination. AHCI setting will set msahci as driver which can then be changed to iaSTor. When Bios is set to raid, and the SSD is NOT a member drive, iaSTOR can still be used and the drive will be treated as a AHCI drive.


Hi, I m not sure how Windows was installed as it was a gift from the US..
But everything should be fine as it's custom built by a big gaming Corporation..

Anyway, AS SSD shows it's on pciide :( 
Already tried the fix both automatically(Microsoft Fix) or manually, but it still run on pciide whereas my normal HDD runs fine on iaSTor..
Use to be able to boot in 15seconds but now it takes almost 30seconds after i tried updating my BIOS & "Upgrade Windows" to try fix my Freezing issue..
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 6:35:04 PM

Just realised something..
Is this normal?
103424K Offset/Alignment..

m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 18, 2012 10:17:03 PM

The 103424 k - OK should be OK (that is also what one of mine shows.
Did you check to see if the SSD has the small 100 mb psystem partition on it?

The rerason for your increase in boot time over time is because of the pcide controller not passing trim. I have a feeling that the windows installation was done with the HDDs connected and that is the reason it is not allowing you to "fix" it.

Before doing a Clean reinstall.
try this. disconnect your HDD. Boot to Bios and set to ahci. then boot to win 7 DVD and select repair. then boot th windows 7 (HDDs still disconnected. and se if that did the trick - If Not you really need to do a re-install as I outlined.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 12:14:25 AM



It would help if you determined the firmware on the SSD -- or it were updated prior to the installation of the OS.

You can check OCZ for appropriate downloads and instructions -- and email the manufacturer. The needed firmware update on the OCZ Agility IIIs is widely known.





m
0
l
April 19, 2012 12:36:24 AM

RetiredChief said:
The 103424 k - OK should be OK (that is also what one of mine shows.
Did you check to see if the SSD has the small 100 mb psystem partition on it?

The rerason for your increase in boot time over time is because of the pcide controller not passing trim. I have a feeling that the windows installation was done with the HDDs connected and that is the reason it is not allowing you to "fix" it.

Before doing a Clean reinstall.
try this. disconnect your HDD. Boot to Bios and set to ahci. then boot to win 7 DVD and select repair. then boot th windows 7 (HDDs still disconnected. and se if that did the trick - If Not you really need to do a re-install as I outlined.


Ya there's a hidden 100MB partition on it..
I used SSDLife & it shows TRIM enabled though..

That's exactly what I did before I went to bed, removing the other HDD..
It actually speeds up the Windows load time (15seconds now) even without having me to do anything else..
However, the mode is still pciide eventhough i tried the registry fix..
I also did a Windows Upgrade (even more comprehensive than repair i guess?) but it is still pciide now..
Windows Experience Index is still 6.9..

Another thing worth noting is that my SSD only shows up in Boot sequence when i was on IDE mode (AHCI/RAID doesnt show the HDD list at all)..
Both SATA3 ports doesnt show up on the IDE Configuration list, only the 2 eSATA & 2 SATA devices are shown (previously DVD-ROM + HDD, now only DVD-ROM since i disconnected the HDD)..
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 12:38:16 AM

Wisecracker said:
It would help if you determined the firmware on the SSD -- or it were updated prior to the installation of the OS.

You can check OCZ for appropriate downloads and instructions -- and email the manufacturer. The needed firmware update on the OCZ Agility IIIs is widely known.


It's on 2.11 whereas the latest is 2.15..
Already downloaded the firmware & will be getting a Thumb Drive to try the fix (don't wanna reformat/erase etc)..
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 12:53:01 AM

Btw, i tried IDE/AHCI/RAID seperately & each time my Windows boot up fine too..
But everytime it's still on pciide..
m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 19, 2012 2:14:51 AM

Even though trim is enabled, it will not be passed to the drive. Only msahci and iaSTor will pass the trim cmd (for intel chipset).

I'm still thinking that you are most likely going to have to bite the bullet and do a re-install.
In fact would have been done by now - LOL

going from 2.11-> 2.15 May work, that is allow the system to swap the msahci driver for the pcide driver. Don't think so, but worth a shot.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 2:50:22 AM

RetiredChief said:
Even though trim is enabled, it will not be passed to the drive. Only msahci and iaSTor will pass the trim cmd (for intel chipset).

I'm still thinking that you are most likely going to have to bite the bullet and do a re-install.
In fact would have been done by now - LOL

going from 2.11-> 2.15 May work, that is allow the system to swap the msahci driver for the pcide driver. Don't think so, but worth a shot.


Sorry i unintentionally clicked Submit.. laggy office PC..

Anyway, i did quite a number of Windows Reinstalls.. Just dont want to do a format/erase/clean install.. Doesn't seem to help..
I even tried all 4 available updated BIOS versions from Shuttle (including the latest 1 which was just released this month)..
But the SSD is always shown as [IDE:*model name*] in BIOS & runs on pciide in Windows..

Any idea why can i load Windows if I my SSD runs on pciide but SATA Mode is set as AHCI/RAID?

Such weird problem.. Can't google any similar problem as everyone fix theirs by the simple registry edit :cry: 
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 10:55:29 AM

i am gonna try disabling PCIIDE, let see if it works (possible thing that i think may happen = i will lose access to my DVD-ROM or even my Boot device if my SSD is fixed at IDE independently of Windows drivers.. :o  )
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 11:30:48 AM

now it goes to BSOD while loading Windows & I couldn't boot even while in Safe Mode nor fixed by System Repair :ouch: 
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 11:54:15 AM

RetiredChief said:
The 103424 k - OK should be OK (that is also what one of mine shows.
Did you check to see if the SSD has the small 100 mb psystem partition on it?

The rerason for your increase in boot time over time is because of the pcide controller not passing trim. I have a feeling that the windows installation was done with the HDDs connected and that is the reason it is not allowing you to "fix" it.

Before doing a Clean reinstall.
try this. disconnect your HDD. Boot to Bios and set to ahci. then boot to win 7 DVD and select repair. then boot th windows 7 (HDDs still disconnected. and se if that did the trick - If Not you really need to do a re-install as I outlined.



Don't want to steal the thread, but since it's well developed.

I didn't set my ssd boot drive to ahci when i installed OS. It is IDE now.

I have a backup image of the boot drive.

Can I do a re-install as you said. First setting bios to ahci, then win 7 repair, and install that backup image?
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 11:56:17 AM

Didn't know this had to be done for Intel chipset, as I had came from an AMD AM3 setup, and my drive was just as new for over a year....( agility 2 60gb )
m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 19, 2012 12:14:51 PM


^ No restoring image will just leave the ide enabled.
Try this:
Quote from a thread.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this issue yourself, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:
1.Exit all Windows-based programs.
2.Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3.If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4.Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
5.In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6.In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor
End quote.
AFTER making the change in the registry, then reboot and change the BIOS to ahci.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 2:09:38 PM

catatafish said:
I'm a little confused. Using Intel SRT usually means having an HDD as your main booting drive, and the SSD supports it as a "cache" drive. So your WEI should be 5.9 because it will show you the lowest score there is, which is going to be your HDD (not measuring the cache). 5.9 is pretty close to the highest number you can get with an OS on your HDD, regardless of using an SSD for a cache or not (at least this was my experience).

Are you using the SSD as your boot drive? And trying to use Intel SRT as well?


I removed the HDD & changed my SSD from SATA3 to SATA2 port.. now everything works fine..
& it even shows up in RST..
Hmmm
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 2:13:09 PM

Danny89 said:
now it goes to BSOD while loading Windows & I couldn't boot even while in Safe Mode nor fixed by System Repair :ouch: 


I managed to Boot Up after pressing F7 & Load with "Last Known Success Boot" or something..

Then I just thought that since SATA3 doesnt really work, why not try changing from SATA3 to SATA2.
VIOLA, now it shows up as "iaStor - OK" & i can upgrade the firmware..

The SSD even shows up in Intel RST.. Boot time is now ~15seconds & my Windows Experience Index is back at 7.4..
Only downside at the moment is that I am unable to access my HDD.. (unless i risk it & change the SSD back to SATA3, or remove my DVD-ROM.. I only have 2 SATA2 port in my Shuttle XPC)

So is the problem with my SATA3 connector/cable?
m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 19, 2012 2:34:32 PM

You did not cange the cable on the SSD, correct? so cable should not be the issue.
Is it possible to:
1) return to config where you can see both the SSD and the HDD. Then BACKup the HDD to a external Drive.
2) reconnect the SSD so that it is correctly working.
3) go into Diskmanager and redue your HDD, then copy your backup back onto the HDD>

As I mentioned earlier a Agility III works just as well when on the Sata II port, so it is not an issue.
As to verifing the Sata III port you can connect a HDD to it and verify it is working.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 3:06:22 PM

RetiredChief said:
You did not cange the cable on the SSD, correct? so cable should not be the issue.
Is it possible to:
1) return to config where you can see both the SSD and the HDD. Then BACKup the HDD to a external Drive.
2) reconnect the SSD so that it is correctly working.
3) go into Diskmanager and redue your HDD, then copy your backup back onto the HDD>

As I mentioned earlier a Agility III works just as well when on the Sata II port, so it is not an issue.
As to verifing the Sata III port you can connect a HDD to it and verify it is working.


What I actually did was just unplug the SATA2 & Power cable from the HDD, then connect the SATA2 Cable to my SSD after removing the SATA3 Cable (still using the same Power cable for SSD)..
Havent try plugging back the HDD, neither on SATA2 nor SATA3..

I don't think the problem is with the HDD, since previously troubleshooting without the HDD still shows that i am stucked with PCIIDE & i couldn't update the firmware..

But somehow everything just went well by just using the SATA2 ports (i tried both Port 1 & 2 without problem)..

Well most probably I m just gonna leave the HDD unplug until i need to backup/restore files ;) 
When that's due, I can plug the SATA2-only HDD into the SATA3 port & it's backwards compatible right? (don't plan to remove my SSD since it's working fine)
m
0
l
a c 352 G Storage
a b å Intel
April 19, 2012 3:34:58 PM

Yes a Sata II HDD will work fine on Sata III.
m
0
l
a b å Intel
a b G Storage
April 19, 2012 3:57:25 PM


Updating the firmware might easily fix your crashing issues. I've had no problems with v2.15. It may be easier for you with the SSD on a different computer (booted to a separate OS). Run the OCZ utility and it will auto-update over the Internet.

If I recall correctly, clicking on "Update Firmware" is a fail :)  but if you click on the little icon just to the left of "Update Firmware" you will connect.

It might help the boot issues but that whole deal seems destined for a re-installation with F6 AHCI drivers.

I've probably had success 2 out of 5 times with the registry tweak -- and that was on AM3. The current AMD SATA/AHCI inf is a permanent part of my thumbdrive (They used to have issues but seem to play really nice with everything over the last few years).


m
0
l