Configure usb port for com1

jlh6473

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I have a HP mini (netbook) - I need to reconfigure a USB port to act as a COM port. I'm trying to hook up a surveying instrument to the netbook and the survey instrument will only pass data (in/out) through the COM1 port. The netbook only has USB ports. I know it is possible to do it because I did it several years ago - I just can't remember how I did it.

Solution
You should have stated that in the original post, it would have saved time.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) list
3. Right-click on the COM: port you wish to reassign and choose "Properties"
4. Select the "Port Settings" tab
5. Click the "Advanced" button
6. Locate the "COM Port Number" drop down (most likely bottom left) and change it to what you want it to be.

If you see "(in use)" next to the port you wish to use it means that there is already an assigned port that will need to be reassigned before you can use it.
You should have stated that in the original post, it would have saved time.

1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) list
3. Right-click on the COM: port you wish to reassign and choose "Properties"
4. Select the "Port Settings" tab
5. Click the "Advanced" button
6. Locate the "COM Port Number" drop down (most likely bottom left) and change it to what you want it to be.

If you see "(in use)" next to the port you wish to use it means that there is already an assigned port that will need to be reassigned before you can use it.

Solution

i do not have one

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

i thank you for your response.if it give you any pleasure i must tell you i am a one finger hunt and peck self taught lover of the compter who learned by reading -the inter-net for senior dummies. thats who i am i still donot think i need to be taken advantage of simmple because i wanted to do a good thing for my grandson. what no spell-check? oh-well

TRENDING THREADS