Your question

EAX or not EAX - that is the question

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
May 29, 2010 7:01:18 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a high end computer (at least I think it is) and I would like to have a fairly nice soundcard. I use a 5.1 Home Theater and love to play games and watch high definition movies. The better graphs and sound it has, the more I like it.
Well, I've been researching and some people advised me to buy the HT Omega Striker 7.1.
The only con is that it doesn't support EAX 5.0. Only EAX 2.0.
I would like to know your opinion. If it makes a big difference of not.

Besides that: Which soundcard should I buy ? (Please justify your answer)

Thank you !

Obs: Sorry for my english mistakes. I'm Brazilian.

More about : eax eax question

May 29, 2010 11:28:19 PM

Unless you exclusively play games pre-2006, developers are moving towards open-source sound APIs. The last two games to support EAX5 were Battlefield II and Quake IV, which came out in 2005.
May 30, 2010 12:35:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm waiting for more opinions.
Well, I have also another doubt. Is it worth to buy a great soundcard and use with a ANALOG 5.1 system ?
I was thinking of buying the Logitech X-540. I don't know if digital optical connection makes a big difference. The only logitech with digital conection is the Z-5500 for example. It costs more than 3x the X-540.
I want your opinion.

Thanks =)
Related resources
May 30, 2010 3:17:05 PM

analogue> digital.

but for the x-540 i cant really say that you will find a difference in sound.
May 30, 2010 4:50:34 PM

I have a $350 budget (Soundcard + 5.1 System)
What do you recommend me ?
May 31, 2010 9:32:34 AM

ill w8 for astallite.

with that price the only options are in the multimedia range

and i dont do any of 5.1 systems in a box so... ill see what astrallite has to say.
May 31, 2010 7:14:30 PM

EAX may not be a realistic feature at present time and may even become obsolete in the near future.. But its no harm to have a feature onboard.. Will come handy if/when the game supports it (hey even not all games support true 5.1 surround sound).. Meanwhile, for a pure gaming build and seeing your budget, I'll recommend the logitech z-5500.. Mind you, those speakers require big room to perform at their best.. For sound card, i find it hard to recommend anything above the creative x-fi xtreme gamer..
June 1, 2010 3:02:48 AM

I agree with Emperus, it seems like the creative x-fi xtreme gamer is a popular choice... if you have a pci slot. Popular choice with a popular name brand equals most likely never having game compatability issues... speaking from experience with my old 2 different offbrand cards and game freezes due to game makers not considering the many different cards out there.

June 1, 2010 12:18:09 PM

1: EAX is dead. Even Creative admits it at this point. I *think* there might be a game or two out there that still uses the EAX 5.0 spec, but its a dead API at this point.

2: There is very little reason to spend a lot on a soundcard these days, especially with some of the mid-tier bargins on the market [ASUS Xonar DS, ASUS Xonar D1/DX, HT Omega Striker].

3: There is no reason to go with a Creative soundcard. The mid-tier cards I mentioned above all offer better sound clarity and features then their Creative counterparts [minus EAX support] at a lower price. If you NEED EAX support, go with Auzentech, which uses a heavily upgraded X-fi chipset to make cards competetive with ASUS and HT Omega. Nevermind the well documented driver issues that plauges Creative...

For a set of X-540's, a ASUS Xonar D1/DX or HT Omega Striker should be plenty. You can move up a notch or two [ASUS Xonar D2/D2X and Auzentech Prelude] if it suits you though.
June 1, 2010 12:34:48 PM

i think the difference youd notice from the set of x-540 is a little small.

i dunno, relaly i think if i had those speakers, id be fine with an integrated.

but i guess sound quality isnt all we wnat, ASUS cards have a nice selection of dolby and DTS technologies.
June 1, 2010 5:42:29 PM

A friend of mine suggested me to get the Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1, but I think it's WAY too powerful (660w) for my 13,5m² bedroom.
June 1, 2010 7:48:21 PM

plan for the future ;) 

Recievers can get hot too. Mine does atleast, I added a cooling system for it. I think if you get overpowered equipment, you'll end up better off in the end. Better too much than not enough... might have an unexpected expansion of some kind someday. I have a huge system in a little room aswell.. Even though the volume goes from low -80 to high +40 (volume control) I rarely go past -30. Sometimes its fun to crank up the volume and go sit on the porch, or feel your bones shaking while you're doing dishes. Men have to have power, most men have to have more than they can handle!
June 1, 2010 7:55:25 PM

siq said:
A friend of mine suggested me to get the Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1, but I think it's WAY too powerful (660w) for my 13,5m² bedroom.

13.5 sq. m or 146 sq. ft is a pretty decent size for you to use the z-5500.. And though desktop audio has improved leaps and bounds, a dedicated audio card still holds its own advantages.. Cleaner audio, electrical isolation are few of the advantages.. The recommendation for the xtreme gamer comes due to primary use being gaming..
June 1, 2010 8:24:31 PM

Blckhaze said:
plan for the future ;) 

Recievers can get hot too. Mine does atleast, I added a cooling system for it. I think if you get overpowered equipment, you'll end up better off in the end. Better too much than not enough... might have an unexpected expansion of some kind someday. I have a huge system in a little room aswell.. Even though the volume goes from low -80 to high +40 (volume control) I rarely go past -30. Sometimes its fun to crank up the volume and go sit on the porch, or feel your bones shaking while you're doing dishes. Men have to have power, most men have to have more than they can handle!

and thats when they go corrupt :D 
June 1, 2010 9:02:38 PM

Well, I think I'll save some money to spend on something else, and get a X-540 ($90) + a HT Omega Striker ($90).
June 2, 2010 7:56:06 AM

There's nothing too powerful for a room unless you are in a closet...you do have a volume control.
June 2, 2010 12:04:08 PM

Emperus said:
The recommendation for the xtreme gamer comes due to primary use being gaming..

AGain, I can NOT recommend the ExtremeGamer. It was a good card...back in 2005. Its functionally obsolete at this point though, as HT Omega, ASUS, and Auzentech simply offer better products. For the same price as an ExtremeGamer, you get the higher quality and more feature rich ASUS Xonar DS.

For his size room, he really can't go wrong with either the X-540's or the Z5500's.
June 2, 2010 3:28:09 PM

you can any speaker for any room size, how big the room is what you shuld take into consideration, not how small.
June 2, 2010 4:17:52 PM

I have the X540s. Really good speaker system. The 5.25" sub is actually surprisingly deep and responsive. You can crank these babies without distortion. I paired them with the AuzenTech Bravura, and the difference from mobo sound to a dedicated sound card is really, really big. Sounds amazing, crisp and clear. I've tried some Dirt 2, STALKER: CoP, Crysis, as well as some movies to test how it sounds and in all cases it was great full surround sound. EAX is auto, but you can enable EAX "effects" like concert hall but those are pointless and screw with the sound quality.

I'm actually using my older 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers as the fronts, so I plugged the "front" jack for the X540s into the side speaker output on the sound card. So I'm actually running 7.2 sound and again, it's great. Works in all the games listed above. AuzenTech's sound console has some nice features for equalization and speaker volume levels, but in particular I like the bass control - I set the crossover at 65hz so everything <=65hz goes directly to the sub on the X540s and anything above that goes to the speakers including the 2.1 speakers/sub so there's no distortion or anything. The sound card was $110. There's also the AuzenTech Forte which is slightly better and has sound settings for gaming and entertainment. I don't know if that makes a difference but the added sound card quality would be lost on the X540s. Maybe with the Z5500 you could tell, or a dedicated receiver/amp. Oh and when I bought the Bravura I was told that it doesn't have DTS/Dolby Digital decoding (or encoding? I forget) but basically it was explained that it can't output those signals so that if you connect a receiver through the optical or component output, the DTS/DD will not be decoded at the receiver. It basically can only output the already decoded signal. I don't really know how that would affect sound quality on a receiver... I somehow doubt it would make a big difference unless it's a $1000+ Harmon Kardon or something.
June 2, 2010 4:44:20 PM

EAX does not work in Vista/7. There are "patches", but the funny thing about these patches is that they use your CPU to crunch EAX and not your soundcard.

So, really, these patches *could* work transparently for ANY soundcard, but Creative wouldn't let that happen.
June 2, 2010 4:51:40 PM

Kewlx25 said:
EAX does not work in Vista/7. There are "patches", but the funny thing about these patches is that they use your CPU to crunch EAX and not your soundcard.

So, really, these patches *could* work transparently for ANY soundcard, but Creative wouldn't let that happen.

Really? Any info/sources I could read on that? I'm new the the whole PC audio scene. From what others have posted, EAX isn't even used nowadays so I guess it doesn't matter.
June 2, 2010 5:14:17 PM

@Wolfram23

Your answer was specially helpful. Now I know. I'll really buy the X-540.
Do you have any objection or observation concerning the HT Omega Striker 7.1 ?
Thanks for bothering to write such a big and complete post.

@Everybody Else

Thanks guys, you helped me a lot. If you have anything else to add, please feel free to do it.
June 2, 2010 5:16:33 PM

Vista/7 audio stack does not allow for direct hardware commands which EAX requires.

The idea behind the Vista switch to their new stack is that CPUs are more than powerful enough to brunch 32bit float for audio which means the quality is MUCH greater for multi-source output. Other reasons is moving most of the work into software means your sound crashing doesn't crash your computer. Also, doing everything as 32bit floats, you have a more consistent experience across platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_features_new_to_...

MS added OpenAL api to allow for hardware accel'ed audio, but there's no reason to. Bad Company 2 does ALL sound on the CPU as 32bit floats, but outputs the final sound as 16bit 44.1khz. It is THE best sounding game you'll hear.

The reason is that 16bit is actually pretty decent, but MOST of the loss of quality is a result of mixing which most games don't do at 32bit.

Same thing with video cards. Vid cards only output in 24bit color which is 8 bits per color. The last few gen of cards use 16 or 32bit floats per channel(64-128bit color) for mixing colors and calculations, but then output at 24bit color.

Here's an example. Lets say you want the sum of some calculations, but you're stuck using integer math, so only whole numbers. Now take 5 divided by 2 and add the result 10 times.

5/2 = 2.5 but integer math makes it 2
Do this 10 times and you get 20

Do this as floats instead and you get
2.5*10 = 25

this is a rough example, but you get the idea. In a nutshell, using float calculations internally results in fewer rounding errors. Even if your final output is of lower quality, it's still closer to what you expected.
June 2, 2010 5:21:30 PM

wolfram23 said:
I have the X540s. Really good speaker system. The 5.25" sub is actually surprisingly deep and responsive. You can crank these babies without distortion. I paired them with the AuzenTech Bravura, and the difference from mobo sound to a dedicated sound card is really, really big. Sounds amazing, crisp and clear. I've tried some Dirt 2, STALKER: CoP, Crysis, as well as some movies to test how it sounds and in all cases it was great full surround sound. EAX is auto, but you can enable EAX "effects" like concert hall but those are pointless and screw with the sound quality.

I'm actually using my older 2.1 Altec Lansing speakers as the fronts, so I plugged the "front" jack for the X540s into the side speaker output on the sound card. So I'm actually running 7.2 sound and again, it's great. Works in all the games listed above. AuzenTech's sound console has some nice features for equalization and speaker volume levels, but in particular I like the bass control - I set the crossover at 65hz so everything <=65hz goes directly to the sub on the X540s and anything above that goes to the speakers including the 2.1 speakers/sub so there's no distortion or anything. The sound card was $110. There's also the AuzenTech Forte which is slightly better and has sound settings for gaming and entertainment. I don't know if that makes a difference but the added sound card quality would be lost on the X540s. Maybe with the Z5500 you could tell, or a dedicated receiver/amp. Oh and when I bought the Bravura I was told that it doesn't have DTS/Dolby Digital decoding (or encoding? I forget) but basically it was explained that it can't output those signals so that if you connect a receiver through the optical or component output, the DTS/DD will not be decoded at the receiver. It basically can only output the already decoded signal. I don't really know how that would affect sound quality on a receiver... I somehow doubt it would make a big difference unless it's a $1000+ Harmon Kardon or something.

sound encode/decoded from the reeiver will sound way better then pc soundcards out there.
June 2, 2010 5:27:31 PM

Kewlx25 said:
Vista/7 audio stack does not allow for direct hardware commands which EAX requires.

The idea behind the Vista switch to their new stack is that CPUs are more than powerful enough to brunch 32bit float for audio which means the quality is MUCH greater for multi-source output. Other reasons is moving most of the work into software means your sound crashing doesn't crash your computer. Also, doing everything as 32bit floats, you have a more consistent experience across platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_features_new_to_...

MS added OpenAL api to allow for hardware accel'ed audio, but there's no reason to. Bad Company 2 does ALL sound on the CPU as 32bit floats, but outputs the final sound as 16bit 44.1khz. It is THE best sounding game you'll hear.

The reason is that 16bit is actually pretty decent, but MOST of the loss of quality is a result of mixing which most games don't do at 32bit.

Same thing with video cards. Vid cards only output in 24bit color which is 8 bits per color. The last few gen of cards use 16 or 32bit floats per channel(64-128bit color) for mixing colors and calculations, but then output at 24bit color.

Here's an example. Lets say you want the sum of some calculations, but you're stuck using integer math, so only whole numbers. Now take 5 divided by 2 and add the result 10 times.

5/2 = 2.5 but integer math makes it 2
Do this 10 times and you get 20

Do this as floats instead and you get
2.5*10 = 25

this is a rough example, but you get the idea. In a nutshell, using float calculations internally results in fewer rounding errors. Even if your final output is of lower quality, it's still closer to what you expected.

okay, what u say i true.

but what is your point???
June 2, 2010 5:51:40 PM

siq said:
@Wolfram23

Your answer was specially helpful. Now I know. I'll really buy the X-540.
Do you have any objection or observation concerning the HT Omega Striker 7.1 ?
Thanks for bothering to write such a big and complete post.

@Everybody Else

Thanks guys, you helped me a lot. If you have anything else to add, please feel free to do it.

I can't comment on that card as I haven't looked at reviews for it. I checked out the Bravura, Forte, and Sound Blaster XFi Titanium as they are sold at local retailers for around $100. They're all good, the cheapest is the XFi Titanium and it has pretty much all the features of the Bravura. Anyway, I'm sure the Omega Striker is just fine. I guess maybe just read a couple reviews on each, but IMO you probably won't notice a big difference with the X540s. They're good but certainly a far shot from high end. At their price tho, they're superb.

@Kewlx25
I see! Well, sounds like it's better then, anyway :) 
June 2, 2010 6:00:37 PM

Oh, I have one more question.
Could you all recommend me Online PC Hardware stores in the US?
I'm brazilian, but I'm going to spend a week in NY ( vacation ). Which stores do you recommend me ? I know NewEgg is a great one, but I can't buy since I'm not american and I'll be in a hotel.
June 2, 2010 6:54:01 PM

MEgamer said:
okay, what u say i true.

but what is your point???

My point was that EAX sucks, it's old, it's not supported. Gone are the days of HW accel'd sound cards.
June 2, 2010 7:13:33 PM

and yes i agree with you :) 
but be honest , you did miss the good old days didnt u??
June 2, 2010 7:33:59 PM

Breaking news for all those who think room size doesn't matters,.. IT VERY MUCH DOES.. In fact even the position of the speakers (satellites + sub wonders) plays a big role in creating the best possible audio experience.. Just head to any audiophile forum and You'll know in detail.. Now, please don't compare the X-540 with the Z-5500.. They differ not only with in their output levels and looks (the 5500 looks downright gorgeous) but also in the audio reproduction.. Games pre-dominantly rely on low frequency effects and the z's 187 watt sub delivers on it big time.. Plus it feature packed and has connectivity assigned out of the box to virtually any entertainment box you may posses.. Its an awesome package and will surely come as a lifetime purchase (means you wont feel the need to think of getting a new speaker set again).. Now, i too Would've recommended the asus but the prime concern here is gaming.. So on a product to product comparison, creative still holds the lead when it comes to delivering on the gaming front..
June 3, 2010 7:51:50 AM

id only get teh creative card, cos of the quality, not because it is a gaming card.... in windows 7 or vista, theres not much you can do to take FULL advantage of it.
June 3, 2010 12:02:08 PM

MEgamer said:
id only get teh creative card, cos of the quality, not because it is a gaming card.... in windows 7 or vista, theres not much you can do to take FULL advantage of it.

Again, basd on quality, I can't ever reccomend Creative. Lets fact it, the X-fi chipset is almost 5 years old, and in the SnR department, it shows. (EG: The $50 Xonar DS has a 116dB SnR, and the Titanium has a 108 SnR). Based on features, both Auzentech, ASUS, and HT Omega are ahead. The ONLY advantage Creative has of any consequence is X-RAM, and even that is minimal in the days of dual-core processors.

Nevermind the lack of feature support built in to Creative cards (Lack of built in DTS-C and DDL on all non-Titanium models being the most notable).

I see no reason to spend $100 on a Creative Titanium when the $89 ASUS Xonar D1/DX and $89 HT Omega Striker are higher quality cards with a higher built-in feature set.
June 3, 2010 1:55:42 PM

gamerk316 said:
Again, basd on quality, I can't ever reccomend Creative. Lets fact it, the X-fi chipset is almost 5 years old, and in the SnR department, it shows. (EG: The $50 Xonar DS has a 116dB SnR, and the Titanium has a 108 SnR). Based on features, both Auzentech, ASUS, and HT Omega are ahead. The ONLY advantage Creative has of any consequence is X-RAM, and even that is minimal in the days of dual-core processors.

Nevermind the lack of feature support built in to Creative cards (Lack of built in DTS-C and DDL on all non-Titanium models being the most notable).

I see no reason to spend $100 on a Creative Titanium when the $89 ASUS Xonar D1/DX and $89 HT Omega Striker are higher quality cards with a higher built-in feature set.

i meant comparing to the integrated, yes gamerk lol, im on your side here....
June 3, 2010 2:45:03 PM

gamerk316 said:
The ONLY advantage Creative has of any consequence is X-RAM, and even that is minimal in the days of dual-core processors.

Well, since I have a Core i7, I won't notice much difference.
June 3, 2010 5:14:13 PM

Emperus said:
Breaking news for all those who think room size doesn't matters,.. IT VERY MUCH DOES.. In fact even the position of the speakers (satellites + sub wonders) plays a big role in creating the best possible audio experience.. Just head to any audiophile forum and You'll know in detail.. Now, please don't compare the X-540 with the Z-5500.. They differ not only with in their output levels and looks (the 5500 looks downright gorgeous) but also in the audio reproduction.. Games pre-dominantly rely on low frequency effects and the z's 187 watt sub delivers on it big time.. Plus it feature packed and has connectivity assigned out of the box to virtually any entertainment box you may posses.. Its an awesome package and will surely come as a lifetime purchase (means you wont feel the need to think of getting a new speaker set again).. Now, i too Would've recommended the asus but the prime concern here is gaming.. So on a product to product comparison, creative still holds the lead when it comes to delivering on the gaming front..

Vista/7 supports advanced audio features to *help* with speakers. If you have a good microphone, you can put the microphone where you typically sit, and Windows will emit sounds from the different speakers. Based on the received sound, Windows will tweak the timing of the speakers to remove destructive wave interference and also make sure the sound makes it to your ears at the same time from all speakers. It even adjusts the sound to remove sound reflection from the walls/etc.

Since EVERY program HAS to go through the Vista audio stack, this will automatically improve the sound experience for ALL sound from your system.

Vista/7 has A LOT of advanced features for audio. It also supports microphone arrays and does all of the processing to make it transparent to all apps. Also supports low and high frequency cross over.

Actually, the new audio stack is modular and you can add ANY type of sound effects/processing to the audio stack and is transparent to all audio devices and can be enabled/disabled per device.
June 4, 2010 1:12:51 PM

Another question:
In the back of the X-540 sub are there the analog connections.

In the sound card there are also analog connections:

Should I connect the speakers in the SUB or directly in the sound card?
June 4, 2010 2:14:09 PM

Use the 3 (green, black, orange) minijacks to go to the sub, and from the sub plug all the speakers in.
June 4, 2010 2:20:37 PM

the sub has the amplifiers, so ye.. plug into teh sub
June 4, 2010 7:28:25 PM

Got it ! The group of five is for the speakers. The 3 (green, black, orange) I connect in the Sound Card. Isn't it ?
June 4, 2010 7:45:07 PM

yes
June 6, 2010 10:04:10 PM

When I thought everything was gonna be perfect, a HUGE problem appears.
(Don't blame me, I don't have the card yet)

The EVGA X58 Classified has only ONE pci slot. When I use 2 videocards I can't use this PCI slot because of the videocard's cooler.
The only option I have is the Asus Xonar DX.
Please tell me, how is this xonar compared to the Striker ?
Do you have any other solution ?

Thanks !
June 7, 2010 1:06:35 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't find any other similar cards for a similar price. The only one I found was the Xonar DX. If you guys have any suggestion, please say it.

Thanks !
June 7, 2010 1:08:39 AM

I can't really say how they compare, but it's a good thing you checked it out. PCI slots are getting a bit ancient these days so most things are switching to PCIe. Get a similar PCIe card and you'll be good to go. Even if it's PCIe x1 you can stick it into a normal sized PCIe slot.
June 7, 2010 12:36:32 PM

MEgamer said:
i meant comparing to the integrated, yes gamerk lol, im on your side here....

Ohhh...that makes much more sense now :p 

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. The problem is that I can't find any other similar cards for a similar price. The only one I found was the Xonar D1. If you guys have any suggestion, please say it.

The Xonar D1 [PCI] is functionally equivalent to the Xonar DX [PCI-E], minus the PCI to PCI-E bridge chip on the DX.

The big difference between the ASUS D1 and the Striker is the D1 lacks support for DTS-Connect over the optical output, but supports emulated EAX 5 via drivers. Aside from that one tidbit, both cards are basically the same [as they should be; they run on simmilar (the same?) C-Media chipset, after all]. Both are good cards, all in all.

But yeah, it looks like you need PCI-E [DX] not PCI [D1], based on your description. That means the Xonar DX would be the way to go (or am I misunderstanding you?).
June 7, 2010 7:11:40 PM

No, you are right ! I messed up things a little. It's Xonar DX !
I'll edit the other posts.
I really would like to get the Striker, but it seems that I can't.
So, how is the Xonar DX compared to the Striker ? The same points you said about the D1 ?
June 7, 2010 7:38:04 PM

A lot of these sound cards are all based on the same or similar processors - the Creative X-Fi. You'll want to just read a few reviews to see what features they all have as well as technical aspects as to how good the opamps are. IMO you should definitely look at AuzenTech products, I got the Bravura and it is awesome with optical, front, side, rear, center/sub outputs, a line in, and a headphone output that is a bit separate from the others and of higher quality for pro DJ headphones. It's worked really well so far for all the games I've played, getting 7 speaker surround in STALKER: CoP, Crysis, NFS Shift, Dirt 2 etc. The Bravura is also only around $100. If you want to spend a little more the Forte is their next best card. AuzenTech are the makers of one of the absolute best sound cards on the market right now, their X-Fi Hometheater HD.

Or you could get a Creative X-Fi Titanium. Also a pretty good card.

One thing tho, if you want to output DTS and DD to a hometheater receiver, and let the receiver do the decoding you'll need a much higher end card like around $200. Any of these cards can still output 7.1 sound to a receiver, it's just pre-decoded and so might not sound as good if your receiver is really high end. For the X540s tho, you don't need a super fancy card to get those speakers working to their limits.

The Xonar DX is supposed to be pretty good and all, but I've read there's some driver issues. Don't know if that's all resolved or not. Anyway any of these cards are fine for analog speakers but if you want real digital signal for a receiver you'll have to spend a few more bones.
June 7, 2010 7:47:29 PM

X-Fi Hometheater HD.
dont get that card.

check reviews on newegg and that card is nothing but trouble...

iu gonna pass audio to receiver through SPIDIF... then tehres not that much difference... as far as i can tell, theres not relaly a difference..... so i dont know what you mean by youll need a much higher end card.

anyway the sound on asus D2X is still very high in quality, and need a high end receiver to match the sound quality.
June 7, 2010 8:09:43 PM

Got it ! Well, since I'll buy a X-540 I'll need analog.
June 7, 2010 8:12:33 PM

MEgamer said:
X-Fi Hometheater HD.
dont get that card.

check reviews on newegg and that card is nothing but trouble...

iu gonna pass audio to receiver through SPIDIF... then tehres not that much difference... as far as i can tell, theres not relaly a difference..... so i dont know what you mean by youll need a much higher end card.

anyway the sound on asus D2X is still very high in quality, and need a high end receiver to match the sound quality.

I agree. Vista/7 handles ALL(99.9%) sound via the CPU. The soundcard is nothing more than a dumb-output. A "good quality" card has a great DAC/etc. An optical out just outputs a binary stream which is bit-perfect to what Windows sends it. At this point, there is no "lower quality" bits. Obviously analog output will benefit A LOT from a good card.
June 7, 2010 8:15:06 PM

yes analogue wins over digital. in audio realm, but still advantages and disadvatages it has.
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!