The Nerds Support UK

ivansc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Had a call from someone claiming to be from www.thenerdssupport.com in the UK today.

.Tried to get me to allow him to access my computer remotely "because my wireless is broadcasting viruses". When I refused, he got me to let him guide me to computer management/windows logs where he showed me a bunch of error and warning messages on the system.

He claimed they were viral and would cause my computer to crash shortly.
Then offered to remove them for £25.
I told him to take a hike b ut predictably I am now wondering if this really was a scam or if I might have a problem regardless.

Anyone else experienced this one?

P.S. Mod Bods sorry if this is in the wrong category but I wasnt sure where it lived.

It's a scam and you definitely did the right thing in refusing him remote access. They steal money from you any way they can - either because you offer it to them or they take personal banking details from your system. The telephone number will have been a fake but I have a collection of half a dozen from customers who've been contacted by the same sort of scammer - mostly sounding as though they came form India. I've passed these details on to the local Police here in England but it's doubtful they'll do anything.
[/#000ff]

G

are u sure u got that name right??? Of all the things it cant be 'Nerd Support'. I am using their services for the past 3 years without any complaints. They have been providing impeccable services at reasonable cost in our organization. It seems there is a malicious campaign run to defame this company. Fail to understand this new age negative strategies. Yuk !!! :)

are u sure u got that name right??? Of all the things it cant be 'Nerd Support'. I am using their services for the past 3 years without any complaints. They have been providing impeccable services at reasonable cost in our organization. It seems there is a malicious campaign run to defame this company. Fail to understand this new age negative strategies. Yuk !!! :)

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware. Scammers have few scruples when they choose whose name to besmirch or how they otherwise steal money from people. I haven't come across a UK arm of the genuine business as yet but I've written to the main website telling them their name is being misused in this country or, at least, I assume it's being misused. How did they contact you first time around?.

johnlehman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

Dear Saga Lout

It was the other way around. I got their number from an acquaintance who was already satisfied with their services. That makes the 2 of us. That is y I was vociferously defending them.

Hope the scammers shut up now and stop maligning such companies.