D70 grip???

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Hi all,

Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70 and
EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
should be usefull...

Regards,

Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG
23 answers Last reply
More about grip

    <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
    come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>

    I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of this to
    us.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    henryp@bhphotovideo.com

    "BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is
    > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
    >
    > I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of this
    > us.
    > - --

    The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
    can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on the
    base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100. So
    the best you can expect is just a battery pack.

    " Darrell Larose" <no@spam.here> wrote in message

    > "BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon
    is
    > > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
    > >
    > > I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of
    this
    > > us.
    > > - --
    > >
    > The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
    > can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on
    the
    > base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100.
    So
    > the best you can expect is just a battery pack.

    Sleeve goes up on the left to the IR receiver. Firmware upgrade allows 2
    step shutter button on grip thru IR.
    I alsothink water's wet so what the hell do I know?
    --
    Hugh Jorgan

    "Hugh Jorgan" <staring@the.moon> wrote in message

    > " Darrell Larose" <no@spam.here> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > > <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon
    > is
    > > > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
    > > >
    > > > I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of
    > this
    > > > us.
    > > > - --
    > > >
    > > The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
    > > can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on
    > the
    > > base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100.
    > So
    > > the best you can expect is just a battery pack.
    > >

    > Sleeve goes up on the left to the IR receiver. Firmware upgrade allows 2
    > step shutter button on grip thru IR.
    > I alsothink water's wet so what the hell do I know?
    > --
    > Hugh Jorgan

    Nikon Canada also has no word of this device, send us a URL...

    If you are looking fro JUST a grip see
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=11281834
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    There will never be a vertical grip from Nikon, they didnt design the
    body to accept one. your only option is by a D100, Fuji S2 or S3 that
    has one or accepts a vertical grip.

    Sorry for the bad news.
    Daniel Flocke / cleveland OH

    "Salinger Igor" <salinger@EUnet.yu> wrote in message news:<comr7h$d6q$1@news.eunet.yu>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
    > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
    > this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70 and
    > EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
    > should be usefull...
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
    party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
    them.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    "Daniel" <d.flocke@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > There will never be a vertical grip from Nikon, they didnt design the
    > body to accept one. your only option is by a D100, Fuji S2 or S3 that
    > has one or accepts a vertical grip.
    >
    > Sorry for the bad news.
    > Daniel Flocke / cleveland OH
    >
    > "Salinger Igor" <salinger@EUnet.yu> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is
    > > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
    > > this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70
    and
    > > EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
    > > should be usefull...
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
    > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
    > them.

    It's a battery holder, without the control functions of the D100, 10, 20D 7D
    ir *ist D grips

    >a couple of 3rd
    >party manufacturers

    There was a guy called GMP Products, Inc. Minneapolis, MN who made grips for
    Leica M bodies and manual focus Nikons. Don't know if he's still around though.
    - --

    > >a couple of 3rd
    > >party manufacturers
    >
    > There was a guy called GMP Products, Inc. Minneapolis, MN who made grips
    for
    > Leica M bodies and manual focus Nikons. Don't know if he's still around
    though.
    > - --

    ill be back home up there in a week - if you have any more info i can try to
    track him down.

    sid
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
    > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
    > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
    > them.

    Here's one:

    <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm>
    (I have no idea how well it works)

    bruno.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    "bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    > "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
    > > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
    > > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
    > > them.
    > >

    > Here's one:
    >
    > <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm>
    > (I have no idea how well it works)
    >
    > bruno.

    so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on it???
    all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...

    from their site:
    "JND70 battery pack
    --Compatible camera:
    NIKON D70
    --Offer stable holding
    Use AA type batteries
    provide a vertical shutter button"

    hmmm...
  13. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    There are 2 ways it can work:

    1: An optical lead running from the grip to the IR on the front of the
    camera, no AF just shoot, and the IR has to be turned on to work.

    2: A modification that runs wires into the body, obviously this causes
    Warantee issues as Nikon do not support this.

    --

    "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message

    > "bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
    > > "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
    > > > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of
    3rd
    > > > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link
    for
    > > > them.
    > > >

    > > Here's one:
    > >
    > > <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm>
    > > (I have no idea how well it works)
    > >
    > > bruno.
    >
    > so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on
    it???
    > all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...
    >
    > from their site:
    > "JND70 battery pack
    > --Compatible camera:
    > NIKON D70
    > --Offer stable holding
    > Use AA type batteries
    > provide a vertical shutter button"
    >
    > hmmm...

  14. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    In other words it's a Rube Goldberg thing built in a basement. The point of
    a vertical grip is the have all control funtions duplicated.

    > There are 2 ways it can work:
    >
    > 1: An optical lead running from the grip to the IR on the front of the
    > camera, no AF just shoot, and the IR has to be turned on to work.
    >
    > 2: A modification that runs wires into the body, obviously this causes
    > Warantee issues as Nikon do not support this.
    >

    > --
    > Michael Brown
    > Melbourne Australia
    > www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
    >

    > "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > 3rd
    > for
    > > > >

    > > > Here's one:
    > > >
    > > > <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm>
    > > > (I have no idea how well it works)
    > > >
    > > > bruno.
    > >
    > > so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on
    > it???
    > > all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...
    > >
    > > from their site:
    > > "JND70 battery pack
    > > --Compatible camera:
    > > NIKON D70
    > > --Offer stable holding
    > > Use AA type batteries
    > > provide a vertical shutter button"
    > >
    > > hmmm...

  15. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

    http://www.harbortronics.com/news.htm

    <mccaskib@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.harbortronics.com/news.htm

    Come back when you have some real news....

    Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
    wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.

    Si.

    Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
    wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>

    Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my D70, but
    I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.

    RB

    "Bobsprit" <bobsprit@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
    > wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>
    >

    > Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my D70,
    > but
    > I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
    >
    > RB

    I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.

    Si.

    > I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
    >
    > RB

    I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.>>>

    That's fine, but some folks don't buy every generation of camera. Some will buy
    every two generations and so a grip, even aftermarket may be welcome. The new
    D70 type may be even better than what replaces the D100...and that's quite a
    ways off. Lots of pics to be taken between now and then!

    >> I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
    >>
    >> RB
    >
    > I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a
    > D2H.>>>
    >
    > That's fine, but some folks don't buy every generation of camera.

    Neither do I, I'm still using a D30. I am going to move to Nikon, but don't
    want to buy a D70...

    Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
    me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
    have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body, so I'm not going to want a
    third party grip either.

    Si.

    "Si" <insert@addresshere.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Bobsprit" <bobsprit@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and
    > > wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>
    > >

    > > Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my
    D70,
    > > but
    > > I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
    > >
    > > RB
    >
    > I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.
    >
    > Si.

    I wouldnt save for the D2H, the sales rep told me yesterday that a
    replacement is coming for it. Don't know if he was referring to the D2X or
    something else. I was drooling too much over my lens to ask.

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia
    www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown

    Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
    me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
    have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body,>>>

    Well, Nikon makes some great lenses, but so does Sigma, Tokina and others. I
    recently tried a Sigma 135-400mm and Nikon has nothing close anywhere near the
    price. I ddon't get hung up on "brands" especially when Nikon sells a 70-300mm
    that's easily trounced by 175 dollar Sigmas. Why wait for the next camera when
    you can have the D70 now and the next model as well?

    > Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
    > me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
    > have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body,>>>
    >
    > Well, Nikon makes some great lenses, but so does Sigma, Tokina and others.
    > recently tried a Sigma 135-400mm and Nikon has nothing close anywhere near
    > the
    > price. I ddon't get hung up on "brands" especially when Nikon sells a
    > 70-300mm
    > that's easily trounced by 175 dollar Sigmas. Why wait for the next camera
    > when
    > you can have the D70 now and the next model as well?
    >
    > RB

    Because I'd never use the D70. No vertical grip - not interested. I don't
    just buy a new model everytime one is released - sticking with my D30 for
    now.

    Si.

Battery Nikon Photo Cameras