D70 grip???

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 2, 2004 11:42:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Hi all,

Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70 and
EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
should be usefull...

Regards,

Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG

More about : d70 grip

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 11:44:52 PM

<Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>

I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of this to
us.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
henryp@bhphotovideo.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 2:58:27 AM

"BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
> <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is
> come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
>
> I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of this
> us.
> - --

The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on the
base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100. So
the best you can expect is just a battery pack.
December 3, 2004 1:17:46 PM

" Darrell Larose" <no@spam.here> wrote in message

> "BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
> > <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon
is
> > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
> >
> > I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of
this
> > us.
> > - --
> >
> The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
> can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on
the
> base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100.
So
> the best you can expect is just a battery pack.

Sleeve goes up on the left to the IR receiver. Firmware upgrade allows 2
step shutter button on grip thru IR.
I alsothink water's wet so what the hell do I know?
--
Hugh Jorgan
Anonymous

"Hugh Jorgan" <staring@the.moon> wrote in message

> " Darrell Larose" <no@spam.here> wrote in message
> >
> > "BandHPhoto" <bandhphoto@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > <Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon
> is
> > > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70.>
> > >
> > > I'll believe it when I see it. No one from Nikon USA's said a word of
> this
> > > us.
> > > - --
> > >
> > The battery grip will have to be an insert into the battery chamber, but
> > can't have any control functions as the D70 does NOT have a data jack on
> the
> > base of the camera like my * ist D, or the Canon 10D/20D, or Nikon D100.
> So
> > the best you can expect is just a battery pack.
> >

> Sleeve goes up on the left to the IR receiver. Firmware upgrade allows 2
> step shutter button on grip thru IR.
> I alsothink water's wet so what the hell do I know?
> --
> Hugh Jorgan

Nikon Canada also has no word of this device, send us a URL...
December 5, 2004 2:13:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

There will never be a vertical grip from Nikon, they didnt design the
body to accept one. your only option is by a D100, Fuji S2 or S3 that
has one or accepts a vertical grip.

Sorry for the bad news.
Daniel Flocke / cleveland OH

"Salinger Igor" <salinger@EUnet.yu> wrote in message news:<comr7h$d6q$1@news.eunet.yu>...
> Hi all,
>
> Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is to
> come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
> this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70 and
> EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
> should be usefull...
>
> Regards,
>
> Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:50:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
them.

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia

"Daniel" <d.flocke@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> There will never be a vertical grip from Nikon, they didnt design the
> body to accept one. your only option is by a D100, Fuji S2 or S3 that
> has one or accepts a vertical grip.
>
> Sorry for the bad news.
> Daniel Flocke / cleveland OH
>
> "Salinger Igor" <salinger@EUnet.yu> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is
> > come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
> > this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70
and
> > EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
> > should be usefull...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:50:10 PM

"Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
> party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
> them.

It's a battery holder, without the control functions of the D100, 10, 20D 7D
ir *ist D grips
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:03:34 PM

>a couple of 3rd
>party manufacturers

There was a guy called GMP Products, Inc. Minneapolis, MN who made grips for
Leica M bodies and manual focus Nikons. Don't know if he's still around though.
- --

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
henryp@bhphotovideo.com
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:13:59 AM

> >a couple of 3rd
> >party manufacturers
>
> There was a guy called GMP Products, Inc. Minneapolis, MN who made grips
for
> Leica M bodies and manual focus Nikons. Don't know if he's still around
though.
> - --

ill be back home up there in a week - if you have any more info i can try to
track him down.

sid
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 4:23:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
> party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
> them.

Here's one:

<http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm&gt;
(I have no idea how well it works)

bruno.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:34:59 AM

"bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of 3rd
> > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link for
> > them.
> >

> Here's one:
>
> <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm&gt;
> (I have no idea how well it works)
>
> bruno.

so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on it???
all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...

from their site:
"JND70 battery pack
--Compatible camera:
NIKON D70
--Offer stable holding
Use AA type batteries
provide a vertical shutter button"

hmmm...
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 10:46:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

There are 2 ways it can work:

1: An optical lead running from the grip to the IR on the front of the
camera, no AF just shoot, and the IR has to be turned on to work.

2: A modification that runs wires into the body, obviously this causes
Warantee issues as Nikon do not support this.

--

"sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message

> "bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <5wKsd.60466$K7.38973@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> > "Mick Brown" <nmcs@bigpond.net.au> writes:
> > > Correct Nikon wont be coming out with one, but there are a couple of
3rd
> > > party manufacturers making them, unfortunately I have lost the link
for
> > > them.
> > >

> > Here's one:
> >
> > <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm&gt;
> > (I have no idea how well it works)
> >
> > bruno.
>
> so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on
it???
> all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...
>
> from their site:
> "JND70 battery pack
> --Compatible camera:
> NIKON D70
> --Offer stable holding
> Use AA type batteries
> provide a vertical shutter button"
>
> hmmm...

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:32:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

In other words it's a Rube Goldberg thing built in a basement. The point of
a vertical grip is the have all control funtions duplicated.

> There are 2 ways it can work:
>
> 1: An optical lead running from the grip to the IR on the front of the
> camera, no AF just shoot, and the IR has to be turned on to work.
>
> 2: A modification that runs wires into the body, obviously this causes
> Warantee issues as Nikon do not support this.
>

> --
> Michael Brown
> Melbourne Australia
> www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
>

> "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "bruno" <invalid@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 3rd
> for
> > > >

> > > Here's one:
> > >
> > > <http://www.hkjenis.com/company/dch/d0.htm&gt;
> > > (I have no idea how well it works)
> > >
> > > bruno.
> >
> > so jenis finally managed to actually put a _working_ shutter button on
> it???
> > all the grips i saw so far (including theirs) had only fake buttons...
> >
> > from their site:
> > "JND70 battery pack
> > --Compatible camera:
> > NIKON D70
> > --Offer stable holding
> > Use AA type batteries
> > provide a vertical shutter button"
> >
> > hmmm...

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 2:30:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment,rec.photo.equipment.misc (More info?)

http://www.harbortronics.com/news.htm

"Salinger Igor" <salinger@EUnet.yu> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Just want to check (or at least share) ;-) roumor with you that Nikon is
> come out 'soon' with vertical/battery grip for D70... anyone know about
> this? Heard from local salesman while I was comparing side-by-side D70 and
> EOS300D.. D70 feels more strudy and better fits the hand, however a grip
> should be usefull...
>
> Regards,
>
> Salinger Igor / Belgrade SCG

December 24, 2004 6:27:00 PM

<mccaskib@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> http://www.harbortronics.com/news.htm

Come back when you have some real news....

Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.

Si.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 6:31:06 PM

Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>

Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my D70, but
I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.

RB
December 24, 2004 6:44:02 PM

"Bobsprit" <bobsprit@aol.com> wrote in message
> Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and I
> wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>
>

> Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my D70,
> but
> I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
>
> RB

I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.

Si.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 8:06:54 PM

> I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
>
> RB

I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.>>>

That's fine, but some folks don't buy every generation of camera. Some will buy
every two generations and so a grip, even aftermarket may be welcome. The new
D70 type may be even better than what replaces the D100...and that's quite a
ways off. Lots of pics to be taken between now and then!

RB
December 24, 2004 10:29:04 PM

>> I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
>>
>> RB
>
> I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a
> D2H.>>>
>
> That's fine, but some folks don't buy every generation of camera.

Neither do I, I'm still using a D30. I am going to move to Nikon, but don't
want to buy a D70...

Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body, so I'm not going to want a
third party grip either.

Si.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 12:56:45 AM

"Si" <insert@addresshere.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Bobsprit" <bobsprit@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Nikon clearly never designed the D70 with a vertical grip in mind....and
> > wouldn't want a jerry-rigged piece of equipment.>>>
> >

> > Seems like a nice after-martket idea. I don't need such a grip for my
D70,
> > but
> > I see nothing wrong with the one being proposed.
> >
> > RB
>
> I'll wait for the D100 successor - or save that little bit more for a D2H.
>
> Si.

I wouldnt save for the D2H, the sales rep told me yesterday that a
replacement is coming for it. Don't know if he was referring to the D2X or
something else. I was drooling too much over my lens to ask.

--
Michael Brown
Melbourne Australia
www.photo.net/photos/mlbrown
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 5:35:23 AM

Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body,>>>

Well, Nikon makes some great lenses, but so does Sigma, Tokina and others. I
recently tried a Sigma 135-400mm and Nikon has nothing close anywhere near the
price. I ddon't get hung up on "brands" especially when Nikon sells a 70-300mm
that's easily trounced by 175 dollar Sigmas. Why wait for the next camera when
you can have the D70 now and the next model as well?

RB
December 25, 2004 12:53:52 PM

> Why on earth Nikon didn't develop their own grip for the camera is beyond
> me. As far as I am concerned, I wouldn't use a third party lens (and yes I
> have tried Sigma and Tamron) on a decent body,>>>
>
> Well, Nikon makes some great lenses, but so does Sigma, Tokina and others.
> recently tried a Sigma 135-400mm and Nikon has nothing close anywhere near
> the
> price. I ddon't get hung up on "brands" especially when Nikon sells a
> 70-300mm
> that's easily trounced by 175 dollar Sigmas. Why wait for the next camera
> when
> you can have the D70 now and the next model as well?
>
> RB

Because I'd never use the D70. No vertical grip - not interested. I don't
just buy a new model everytime one is released - sticking with my D30 for
now.

Si.
!