Q8200 + Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro = 50c idle?

charbo187

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
So I tried re-seating the cooler and I cleaned and re-applied the thermal paste but temps are still around 50c-52c on all 4 cores.

under 100% load they only go to about 63c

I have an Antec 300 case with good airflow. my overclocked HD4830 idles at about 40c and only gets to around 56c under load.

anyone know what could be the problem here? I expected the Q8200 to be a cooler chip especially with a decent aftermarket cooler. I'm thinking of grabbing a corsair H50 since it's on sale at bestbuy for $59

also cool n quiet is disabled in bios

What is the ambient temperature in your room I have a slightly overclocked Q8200 with a cheap OCZ vendetta which is about the same as your cooler and core Idles at around 40C and at load gets to about 61C. My Ambient temps are about 26C but as the temperature goes up for summer the room gets hotter and the idle temps will rise too.

charbo187

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

hwmonitor reports SYSTIN as 30c and AUXTIN as 6c. I assume SYSTIN is my ambient.

That is a darn good cooler. The H50 might help, but its not the underlying problem.

charbo187

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
well guys, you can say I'm disappointed to say the least. just installed my brand new corsair H50. they sure made it look a lot simpler in their video. any way idle temps are about 2-3 degrees cooler at about 48c-49c. not really the improvement I had in mind. load temps top out at 56c so I guess that's a little better. Still obviously these readings are wrong or I have some kind of cooling issue not cooler related.

charbo187

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I think you're right Falcon. I'm undergoing some OC experimentation. so far I'm at 2.7 GHz from 2.3 GHz. Cores sitting at 58c for cores 0 & 2 55c for cores 1 & 3. hoping I can sit on a steady 2.8 GHz, 1600 MHz FSB. I know you're thinkin that should be cake. but I bought a cheapo ASRock mobo and have never gotten it to boot past 420 MHz.

bryann816a

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
i'm not sure if this helps but i have got mine to 3.01 stable, 3.2 is achieveable but dies out after 1 hour. current fsb is 430 multiplier 7. auto voltage and mem multipler. using zalman for better overall temps.cpu temps down by 7 degress ,other components down by 2 degs. and my temps were 30c per core idle and they never went over 53c at load. this might be a problem that can be solved easily check task manager and see the cpu utils if its normal (0 to 30%) then it might be a problem with how the cooler is sitting on the processer. also note that before you put thermal paste its wise to clean off the existing paste with alchohol wipes. make sure its mirror like before you put the paste on. and tighten your cooler down so that the torque on each screw is the same.i've noticed that when the cooler doesnt sit right it dramatically increases temps :D hope that helps

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My thinking is if the delta between idle and full load is only 10C AND the max temp is only in the mid 60'sC, then I would say the cooler is doing its job. Why your idle temp is a bit high could be because you have turbulent air flow in your case.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
FWIW, when I was bringing up boards using the stock Intel cooler, I would have the push pins properly rotated and I would pull up on each pin before I put it down on the board, then pushing two opposite side pins at the same time, I would push until I heard the click sound. If in doubt, I would turn the board over to make sure the black spreader was all the way down. I used the same fan hundreds of times. Eventually the nylon parts would be too worn down. For someone who mounts it once, or twice, in the life of the machine, no worries.

The only other advice I give is, put the cpu cooler on before you put the board in the case. This way you can look at the cooler from all sides to insure, no matter what brand and mounting method, the cooler is secured squarely down.

bryann816a

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
i dont know about you but i think air flow does contribute alot to the cooling of your components. i worked in a pc repair shop for 4 months and i learnt first hand the difference between good cable management and poor cable management. the difference is amazing provided your case has the proper intakes and exhausts for air cooling. hot air rises that is why i put my intake fans low and my exhaust fans on the top of the case. and by not restricting the air flow with cable clutter you allow for maximum air flow. i've have 7c cooling increases with minor cable management :) thats my opinion though.