Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need more RAM now?

Last response: in Components
May 29, 2010 9:36:02 PM

Hi guys. I just purchased my 2nd 5850... it's all great but I have a slight issue now. I'm running 4GB RAM but with these two GPUs they reserve 2GB of it... so being left with only 2GB available, Windows 7 alone is taking up almost half that. At startup I have only around 850mb free and after several minutes it goes up to about 1.3gb. I feel like that's just not good. I can't even run Prime95 blend because it uses my HDD. So, do I need to buck up and get another set of RAM? I do want to I just don't know if it's needed... spending a lot on the PC already =/

Also 2 more sticks will make an issue with my heat sink. I have the Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and it's ridiculously big... it covers the first RAM slot facing back/up/down so my only option is to mount it to push air towards the front of my case if I get more RAM. I think I'll probably try switching the plug wires to make it run backwards as a pull set up but this isn't ideal... What to do?

More about : ram

Best solution

May 29, 2010 9:49:35 PM

Ummm.. Its the first time i've heard of crossfire using extra random access memory, and im using dual gpu's att all 3 machines here at home. So presonally i would not buy any further ram

You maybe have alot of programs in autostart, clugging up ur system?
May 29, 2010 10:02:53 PM

Are you sure you installed the 64 bit OS? It sounds like what happens when you have a 32-bit OS. The GPUs don't reserve the ram, they haven their on the card (will only take more if needed). So you should have a total of 6 GB, 4 of system mem, 2 of Vram. I remember on xp 32, when i put my 1 GB video card in, i could only use 3 GB of ram. Check if its actually 64 with win + pause/break. Also, while you're at that screen see how much ram the system can use/has
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2010 10:37:17 PM

Thanks guys... I opened Everest and realised it said only 2GB installed. The 2GB "hardware reserved" plus 2GB in resource monitor tricked me lol. I guess this is a great example why single clip RAM slots are stupid. Should always have a clip on both sides... I took them out, cleaned off the gold inserts and put them back and now it appears to all be working fine. :) 
m
l
May 29, 2010 10:37:46 PM

Best answer selected by Wolfram23.
m
l
!