Sign in with
Your question

System Restore Problems

Last response: in Windows XP
November 28, 2012 10:22:17 PM

Yesterday I tried to uninstall a program called my privet folder. It had some problems but I uninstalled it with Revo uninstaller. Today I noticed in my system try the safely remove usb device Icon had disappeared. I went to customize the notification and the to see if it was hidden or inactive. It shows as active but the icon is replaced by a folder. I tried to do a system restore but got this error.
System Restore
---------------------------
System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again.

I went to services.msc to make sure System Restore service was started. When I clicked start it gave me the error.

Could not start the System Restore Service service on Local Computer.

Error 1114: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

I went to system properties then to system restore and clicked turn off system restore. when I clicked ok I get the error.

System Restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try again.

Later I noticed that my system time had changed to military time. When I go to control panel the regional and language icon is gone.
I went to my system 32 folder and tried to open int.cpl but nothing happens.

Now my desktop background changed by itself and when I try to change it nothing happens.

I can't figure out the correlation between all these problems but they are driving me crazy.

I have Windows xp pro 32 bit.

Any help would be great.

November 28, 2012 10:29:52 PM

Severe malware/virus infection. Remove the drive, attach it externally to a known clean machine, scan it with both an AV and malware scanner ( malwarebytes is highly recommended). When complete reinstall the drive and see if it helped. If not it may be time to back up data, wipe the drive, and reinstall.
m
l
November 29, 2012 4:50:46 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I will check it for viruses. Also today I noticed the battery icon in my system try has disappeared as well. Wiping the drive would not be an option since it is a laptop from my company.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2012 4:56:30 PM

If it's a company laptop then your corporate IT department should be handling this, that's their job. And, if the virus/malware infection is as bad as it's looking then reimaging is going to be the only way to fix it.
m
l
November 30, 2012 12:13:33 PM

We only have a regional IT guy that travels to each location. He is only here every few months. I was afraid re-installing would be the only way to fix it. Thanks for your help.
m
l
!