Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mixing High-performance RAM with Normal RAM

Last response: in Memory
November 21, 2010 7:44:49 PM

That being said, is it possible? I got four slots, so I was thinking of upgrading to high-performance RAM, but that leaves my normal DDR3 RAM out of the system, or is it?

Or is there any huge difference in having a high-performance RAM compared to normal ones?

Best solution

a b } Memory
November 22, 2010 1:54:39 AM

High performance RAM is no different than normal RAM; Only this kind of RAM has ability to be overclocked (hence 'high performance') more compared to normal RAM. Normal RAM can't be overclocked, or maybe only a slightly bit overclockable.

But in terms of working condition and performance, the things are no different.

Please bear in mind that if you mix HP-RAM with normal RAM, the overall speed will run on the slowest one (normal RAM). Also, if you mix, please get same brand, same spec, same type, to make sure you get higher chance of them working together.
November 22, 2010 10:39:28 AM

For now my RAM is Kingston 1333D3N9 DDR3 1333. I am eyeing CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. That means the CMX will run at 1333 speed instead of 1600 right?

Do you think I should just dump the old RAM or still use it?

Also any other suggestion of RAM?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
November 23, 2010 2:59:22 AM

servarus said:
For now my RAM is Kingston 1333D3N9 DDR3 1333. I am eyeing CMX4GX3M2A1600C9. That means the CMX will run at 1333 speed instead of 1600 right?

Yeah, right,

servarus said:
Do you think I should just dump the old RAM or still use it?

Also any other suggestion of RAM?

You shouldn't dump it too soon. Well, first try to see if they can work together.

Any other great brands are G.Skill, A-Data, Mushkin, OCZ.
m
l
December 1, 2010 7:25:30 AM

Best answer selected by servarus.
m
l
!